Dawn.. Is it worth if for a suite since no Haven?

Just wondering if it is worth the upcharge since there is no Haven and no nighttime dining restaurant or pool chair section for suite guests. It is about 1500 dollars more for the suite for the two of us. Going in August with 3 sea days and very concerned about pool chair situation since we sleep late. Thanks for your advice!

The advantages are that you get butler and concierge access. This also gives you priority embarkation/debarkation, a special seating section at the theater, etc. 

I didn't think the Dawn's pool chair situation was that bad, but getting a suite isn't necessarily going to change anything there.

1 hour ago, Brookefairway said:

Just wondering if it is worth the upcharge since there is no Haven and no nighttime dining restaurant or pool chair section for suite guests. It is about 1500 dollars more for the suite for the two of us. Going in August with 3 sea days and very concerned about pool chair situation since we sleep late. Thanks for your advice!

We just came back from dawn sailing out of NYC from 5/25 to 6/1...Florida/ Bahamas. I would read through my review.. we had a family suite w/ no balcony and the room was enormous. Modernos for suite breakfast and lunch was amazing.. and to always know you have great reserved seats at all shows means you don’t have to arrive 40 mins early to get a good seat. We walked in right at the start time and were greeted by a waitress asking us what drink she could get us... it was wonderful.

-Mark

• Like 1

If you are going as a couple and can afford it, in my view it's a no brainer.  Priority embarkation and disembarkation (I can feel my blood pressure go up in big crowds), large balcony, especially on deck 10 aft, champagne and chocolate covered strawberries on sailaway, relaxing, delicious, gourmet breakfast without crowds of people walking against you. Plenty of room to stretch out in your balcony loungers without worrying about the pool deck.

We stayed in the Owners Suite on the Jewel and spent almost no time in the actual haven section.  We still had the most amazing cruise.  Like the others say, the perks were absolutely worth it.  The Moderno for breakfast was my favorite and I loved not having to worry about crowds.  I also really liked the ease of getting off and on the ship.  I'd do it.  

Never been in the haven, but do like the suite perks as well as the extra room. The 2br suite on the Dawn was great when we traveled for 14 days with my MIL. Having breakfast in suite or in Modernaro is nice. We have also had non haven suites on the Pearl and our upcoming Gem cruise will be in an SF suite on deck 10.

I know this sounds crazy but my favorite Suite experience was on the Sky.  We are not big pool people so we never use the Haven facilities.  We loved the suite and the service was top notch.  I have not been on the Dawn but would book a suite on any NCL ship without a Haven complex instantly.  The level of service cannot compare since there are only a few suites.  Our concierge on Sky checked in with us twice a day, gave us a bottle of wine at dinner, got us into shows, etc.

Believe it or not it beats some of my Haven complex experiences on NCL ships.

For the last 5-6 yrs have cruised Haven on NCL mega ships. A few months ago cruised on the Dawn which we haven't been on in 15 yrs. Wasn't sure how I would like going back to a smaller ship but it was great. Had a suite which had tons of room and closet space. No banging your knees on furniture. Loved Moderno for bkfst, Roel was the best concierge - always there to make sure you were happy. Did I miss not having private pool, sundeck, bar - yes, but not enough to overcome the friendly staff, terrific personal service we received, and nice homey feeling.

13 hours ago, Brookefairway said:

There are suites and then there are suites - - some are better than others.

You did not tell us the SHIP class or location or details about the sailing other than 3 sea days ?

As others have posted about their experiences - let us narrow it down to specifics to your SHIP.

About that night time dining - how late do you plan on dining ? Most late dining times are at 9-9:30pm

maybe possible for your Butler to serve you late in your cabin.

Those deck chairs are always a problem no matter what cabin class - difficult to come up with a solution.

$1500 ($750x2) is a great bargain for a suite and all the perks bennies that go with it.

Matched with a beverage dining shore excursion package all that much the better.

Our last cruise was in a Haven 1 bedroom aft suite and it was fine but enjoyed the Dawn forward penthouse suite more on an earlier cruise. For me the suite experience on the Dawn is just as good as the Haven, and a lot cheaper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlesw1968 said:

No !!!!!  I paid the extra money for the owners suite and had the worst cruise of my life    Stay away from NCL

Thanks for the input and we felt the same way after sailing Breakaway in a DOS.

OP is asking about the Dawn which is an older ship and quite different so your comparison to the Joy doesn't match.  Joy is also newer ship after dropping an egg in China so there has been talk about new staff not up to speed on Joy so I get that, but don't make excuse.

Welcome to CC by the way.

• Like 1

OP ,  it has been many years since suite on Dawn and it is older ship, but the recent refurb looks pretty good and I would have no issue booking a suite on Dawn.

Other than  ships with Haven with the tiny pools, NCL does not save seats by pools for suite guests and even not in haven area.

My opinion would be no, not on the Dawn.  I have sailed in the Haven on the Breakaway twice and Haven/Suites on the Gem 6 times and will only sail in suites as you are treated like gold!!!  We just got off the Dawn on 6/1 and stayed in the suite and it was definitely not worth the extra $$$.  The breakfast/lunch in Moderno is great but other than that, nothing special at all.  Matter of fact, I think I saw my butler twice the entire week, he was non-existent.  Not usual for all other ships that's for sure.

I'll let you know in 2 days!

The Dawn this Saturday will be our first non-Haven suite in 5 cruises...chosen for price (literally 1/2 of a Haven room on a mega-ship for the same week), and the fact that we will hopefully not miss any pool days - we will only do Havens in the winter out of NY as we hate losing any pool days to freezing weather. 

Most definitely will miss the quiet pool area, but the room has enough balcony space to find my own zen plus all of the suite bells and whistles that make for a wonderfully relaxing vacation. 

Interesting to see the forum opinions though - I would absolutely be frustrated / unhappy to spend extra $$$ on a suite and not have a fantastic experience, but then again, "fantastic" means different things to different people!

Amy

Hello

I have only too been in the Haven which is why I was wondering about the suite on the Dawn. I would be doing the family suite with balcony for the two of us. It is 1500 extra total over the cost of the mini suite..(not 1500 for the suite). I have been reading terrible reviews re the Dawn. Have also sailed on the Star and Spirit and wonder how it compares?

We sailed Dec 2018 in a Dawn suite. My husband had a knee replacement 30 days before so I upgraded from mini to suite so he would be more comfortable. The room size was awesome, the Butler, Johnathan,  was very attentive, and breakfast/lunch in Moderno was great. I really recommend upgrading.

in Oct we are doing a 19 day TA on Getaway Haven suite. Can’t wait to be pampered again.

13 hours ago, Charlesw1968 said:

No !!!!!  I paid the extra money for the owners suite and had the worst cruise of my life    Stay away from NCL

Well you were on the Joy in an "owners suite" which does not exist on the Joy. 

We were in a forward facing penthouse suite on the Dawn and loved the room. The service and food was top notch.  

Edited by BirdTravels

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Well you were on the Joy in an "owners suite" which does not exist on the Joy. 

We were in a forward facing penthouse suite on the Dawn and loved the room. The service and food was top notch.  

I would trust @BirdTravels > most folks. Lovely, non-biased and sensible posts. Reasonable expectations, and I enjoy his commentary and his knowledge bits he gives out. 

The fact he gives the suites on the Dawn a thumbs up - that's a darned good endorsement in my humble opinion. 

Amy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dawn suite 2017.   Loved the bathroom, extra space, fully equipped room with dishes and glasses, complimentary movies, large deck and Moderno for breakfast and lunch.   Our butler was very attentive.   Downside, balcony door had to be kept locked as it would slide open otherwise, and gasket defective in shower.   Water everywhere.   Butler brought extra towels but was annoying for price point.  Never stayed in Haven.

On 6/12/2019 at 3:39 PM, expectthebest said:

We just came back from dawn sailing out of NYC from 5/25 to 6/1...Florida/ Bahamas. I would read through my review.. we had a family suite w/ no balcony and the room was enormous. Modernos for suite breakfast and lunch was amazing.. and to always know you have great reserved seats at all shows means you don’t have to arrive 40 mins early to get a good seat. We walked in right at the start time and were greeted by a waitress asking us what drink she could get us... it was wonderful.

-Mark

I find the only thing missing on the Dawn is the private pool and lounge. Everything else & all the perks are pretty much the same. I didn't miss not having a private restaurant. Breakfast and lunch are in Modernos but you are on your own for dinner. Ships with Haven restaurants, we usually ate in the specialties or MDR. I was not a big fan of the Haven restaurant since the menu is limited and found MDR menu much more interesting.  I think if the Dawn commandeered  the hot tub on Deck 13 and roped that area off for suites, that would be perfect.

Just be careful you don't get the deck 8 aft suites directly above Bliss.

I upgraded to one on the Gem. The room and view were great, but the the thump thump thump from the speakers literally directly underneath the bed was horrible. 

Otherwise, it's probably worth it. On the Gem the Haven has their own private sundeck not accessible to suite...not sure if it's the case on the Dawn with a suite sundeck. 

Edited by PortFees45