How Flexible is NCL?

Yes, exams can be taken earlier or a later date. All your son have to do is to let all his professors know ahead of time. This can be done when classes start. If you wanted to know the schedule early, he can contact his professors if he know the email address. However do not expect to have a response from the professor. I have contacted my professors before classes start due. This was not for a vacation but for personal medical/informing them of my situation. Some do reply and some wait til the first day of class.

Travel insurance options - yes you can purchase one with cancel for any reason. Just need to shop around and compare prices.

Exam Date:

Monday, December 16 - Monday, December 23 (subject to change)

If any of his exams is on Monday or fall on his vacation dates, just ask professors if he can take the exam early.

Rutgers said the Professors decide Finals Dates? Lucky professors. I've taught at 3 post secondary institutions and the administrations have always picked the dates for the Finals. If they didn't all the finals would be on day 1 of the exam period.  We want to get to our vacations too!

Also, exams can be late especially in northern climates due to snow and other weather issues. We tell our students to not plan vacations until after the exam and make-up dates period have ended.

Edited by DirtyDawg

13 minutes ago, Project-College said:

Possibly my mistake... I thought Customer Loyalty was number 1 with Cruise lines.  If that premise is wrong than your right maybe their algoritithms are right on.

... but again RCL and CCL are in that same Industry and they were willing?

The person you talked to said they’d be willing, I wouldn’t trust that. From what I’ve read on CC, customer satisfaction is definitely not the #1 priority with the cruise industry, the customer is not always right, quantity over quality. I’d have m6 child send a very polite email about family wanting to travel over the holiday and needing to book, offering to take the exam in advance if possible, or asking if the exam date has been set. My husband actually teachers a class at Rutgers Newark every year, and he’s always willing to work with students (even coming to the school just to let a student take a makeup exam).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Project-College said:

Possibly my mistake... I thought Customer Loyalty was number 1 with Cruise lines.  If that premise is wrong than your right maybe their algoritithms are right on.

... but again RCL and CCL are in that same Industry and they were willing?

Customer loyalty is important to all businesses, but if they delay your final payment date, then wouldn't they open themselves up to having to delay others as well?  If one is allowed special treatment, shouldn't every loyal customer be entitled to it?  If they had to make individual arrangements for every cruiser that asks, can you imagine what a mess it would end up being.    Bite the bullet and either book after the finals are done or purchase travel insurance that has a "cancel for any reason" clause.

• Like 1

And I don’t know if you have another policy that covers health care out of the country or medical evacuations, I don’t, so I always buy travel insurance, yes to get a refund if we cancel, but also for those situations.

4 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Rutgers said the Professors decide Finals Dates? Lucky professors. I've taught at 3 post secondary institutions and the administrations have always picked the dates for the Finals. If they didn't all the finals would be on day 1 of the exam period.  We want to get to our vacations too!

Also, exams can be late especially in northern climates due to snow and other weather issues. We tell our students to not plan vacations until after the exam period and make-up dates have ended.

They pick dates within a small range (I think 4 days) nor over weeks.  TCNJ and Penn State do the same thing I am told.

Taking exams early they usually don't like (some seem worried about the Student providing feedback to other Students) and taking it later is not an option... as we would be on the ship.

Maybe I will stop by and speak tom the Dean of Students.   I may be worrying over nothing about rescheduling early exams!

Thanks again for the feedback.

Looks like my options are:

If NCL:

- Wait and see after school starts... if room available then book

- Talk with Profs to insure test date or retest date

- buy 'cancel for whatever reason' insurance (which I may have to buy anyway)

Otherwise

- Go with other Cruise lines (BUT: get their offer of delay payment in writing, something I would not have previously be needed)

I don't mind spending money on enjoyment (Haven/Specialty Food/Packages/etc.) but to spend and loose it on insurance doesn't come as easy.

Maybe this would be easier if I start my Drinking Package with a Whiskey today... it is, after all, Fathers Day weekend!

14 minutes ago, Project-College said:

They pick dates within a small range (I think 4 days) nor over weeks.  TCNJ and Penn State do the same thing I am told.

Taking exams early they usually don't like (some seem worried about the Student providing feedback to other Students DirtyDawg added - Rightfully So!!) and taking it later is not an option... as we would be on the ship.

Maybe I will stop by and speak tom the Dean of Students.   I may be worrying over nothing about rescheduling early exams!

I don't allow for early exams for any reason. If it is not a different version from the main final exam it will contaminate the main exam results. I have to write at least two versions of each final exam in any case, one for the main date, and one for the deferred date just in case of an approved medical issue which prevents a student from writing on the main finals date. Not many professors will write another version of their final exam for a student who finds the main exam date inconvenient due to their travel plans.

BTW, I second your Whiskey and or Whisky idea. 

But I'll have to wait 'til later to imbibe. I have a couple of Finals to write today for my Spring Semester course.

🥃

Edited by DirtyDawg

3 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

I don't allow for early exams for any reason. If it is not a different version from the main final exam it will contaminate the main exam results. I have to write at least two versions of each final exam in any case, one for the main date, and one for the deferred date just in case of an approved medical issue which prevents a student from writing on the main finals date. Not many professors will write another version of their final exam for a student who finds the main exam date inconvenient due to their travel plans.

That was my take as well.

My talking to the Dean of Students next week will confirm.  Also, I want to ask her that IF the school or Professor CHANGES the exam date, can other arrangements be made.  If not then I have my answer!

Just got an email response I sent to an old Associate that is now at Rutgers NB.  

and I quote...

' Surgery and Transplants and conflicts with another Final' are about the only reason I approve retests'.

Boy, I don't remember being that harsh when I taught... though my course was 'Negotiations' and 'AI'.

I think DirtyDawg has the current pulse of the Profs!

45 minutes ago, Project-College said:

Just saw another Thread about 'Bidding on unsold Haven Cabins'.  Has anyone ever done that and is it offered after the 120 days from the cruise?

This might be a possibility?

You have to be booked on the cruise to even receive a bid offer.

After reading all the above posts, I too think it is better to work with the professor.
Many students need to leave early for vacations/travel, due to many reasons. In such cases sometimes they are allowed to sit for an exam early. Some cases I have seen, are judged by the student's performance and grades for a semester or two and in rare cases they have been graded on that and allowed to leave. Of course this criteria of grading is subject to a lot of other things and varies by how much authority is vested in the professor, what the school policies are, etc etc.

IMHO, I think it is stretching a bit too far to sort of "blame" (for lack of a more descriptive word) NCL for a policy that is inconvenient to your schedule. Other businesses in the same line may be willing to bend them a bit to your liking, but it is no reason to find fault with them. If it were a life and death situation, I understand, but this is not, so I would not look at it with contempt enough to say I won't cruise with them again. Keep the options open.

I hope you work it out to your satisfaction. Do try speaking with the professor option first. Insuring the trip is always a good idea. Majority of times, NCL's pricing on certain cruises out of NYC goes down around/after final payment...if you are comfortable with waiting till then, by all means do so, but also keep in mind that popular holiday cruises may have a chance of selling out or price increase driven by the possibility that there may be extremely few cabins left.

Good luck! Hoping this will work out for the positive! Keep us posted.

I'm not familiar with carnival policies, but no Royal is not "working with you" as you seem to think. Royals's final payment deadline is 90 days before sailing so them allowing you to pay at 113 days prior is... not any special treatment at all and them getting their money 23 days early. And if you were asking Royal to work with you and let you put off final payment until 83 days until sailing they would tell you the same exact thing NCL is. 

If your TA is not aware of this, and it seems they're not given your impression of Royal working with you and NCL being stubborn, I would suggest getting a new one that is actually aware of cruiseline policies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smplybcause said:

I'm not familiar with carnival policies, but no Royal is not "working with you" as you seem to think. Royals's final payment deadline is 90 days before sailing so them allowing you to pay at 113 days prior is... not any special treatment at all and them getting their money 23 days early. And if you were asking Royal to work with you and let you put off final payment until 83 days until sailing they would tell you the same exact thing NCL is. 

If your TA is not aware of this, and it seems they're not given your impression of Royal working with you and NCL being stubborn, I would suggest getting a new one that is actually aware of cruiseline policies. 

Sounds like I am being snuckered by the PCC at RCL as the told me that they would be willing to allow 1-2 week additional when they offered it already!!!!

Thanks for the info!

2 hours ago, Arzeena said:

You have to be booked on the cruise to even receive a bid offer.

After reading all the above posts, I too think it is better to work with the professor.
Many students need to leave early for vacations/travel, due to many reasons. In such cases sometimes they are allowed to sit for an exam early. Some cases I have seen, are judged by the student's performance and grades for a semester or two and in rare cases they have been graded on that and allowed to leave. Of course this criteria of grading is subject to a lot of other things and varies by how much authority is vested in the professor, what the school policies are, etc etc.

IMHO, I think it is stretching a bit too far to sort of "blame" (for lack of a more descriptive word) NCL for a policy that is inconvenient to your schedule. Other businesses in the same line may be willing to bend them a bit to your liking, but it is no reason to find fault with them. If it were a life and death situation, I understand, but this is not, so I would not look at it with contempt enough to say I won't cruise with them again. Keep the options open.

I hope you work it out to your satisfaction. Do try speaking with the professor option first. Insuring the trip is always a good idea. Majority of times, NCL's pricing on certain cruises out of NYC goes down around/after final payment...if you are comfortable with waiting till then, by all means do so, but also keep in mind that popular holiday cruises may have a chance of selling out or price increase driven by the possibility that there may be extremely few cabins left.

Good luck! Hoping this will work out for the positive! Keep us posted.

The only 'Blame', as you call it, was why the other two would do something for me and NCL wouldn't.  I thought that was an 'apples to apples' comparison but from what I just found out NCL REQUIRES 120 day final payment BUT RCL only 90 so that sounds like RCL isn't doing me any special favors as the PCC said.  ... will need to determine Carnivals 'days out' payment policy.

Dec 20th 2019 is on a Friday … can't you find a suitable cruise that leaves on Sat 21st Dec or Sun 22nd Dec?

Or your son can fly to the first port of call and join you on cruise?

Is this correct: once you get the finals dates, and it is found that your son will be taking a final on Dec 20th, you'd cancel the cruise, right?

Just now, bluesea777 said:

Dec 20th 2019 is on a Friday … can't you find a suitable cruise that leaves on Sat 21st Dec or Sun 22nd Dec?

Or your son can fly to the first port of call and join you on cruise?

Is this correct: once you get the finals dates, and it is found that your son will be taking a final on Dec 20th, you'd cancel the cruise, right?

His College Finals can be as late as the following Monday (12/23) and there seems to be no 7 or 8 day that will be back in time for the HS Student (they start 1/2/20).  Wasn't even dead set on a cruise this year... just thought it might be nice for the kids as they are working so hard at College and HS.  Right now will probably wait and see as my Son wasn't nothing to do with talking to the Profs and so understands if we have to even get an inside room (if that's all that is available).

I am never a cheerleader for any cruise line, and I have been on several..........but I will say that NCL is doing the exact same thing ALL the cruises lines will do, make you pay at their final payment date.  I highly doubt any cruise line would "work with you". The PCC may say so and the customer service rep on the phone might say so, but when it comes time for final payment, that is it, you pay or you are cancelled.  

I think that those that said they would work with you are not being truthful and I would be really careful moving forward with just their word. 

ON the plus side, I always book cruises last minute and I get fantastic deals, so maybe that is your only choice?  But, it being a holiday cruise might not be the same.  Good luck with your cruise and have fun. 

On our last cruise, I had my 3 kids in HS miss 4 days of school Memorial Day week so that we could cruise after my college kids came home for the summer, before they started summer jobs. I’d have no problem having my HS juniors miss a couple of days of school after Christmas break (I’ll have a college freshman and senior), but the prices!

1 minute ago, mjkacmom said:

On our last cruise, I had my 3 kids in HS miss 4 days of school Memorial Day week so that we could cruise after my college kids came home for the summer, before they started summer jobs. I’d have no problem having my HS juniors miss a couple of days of school after Christmas break (I’ll have a college freshman and senior), but the prices!

True... much more flexibilty with HS'er missing 'starting' days after winter break than 'ending' days, as he too has midterms for 4 AP classes.

4 minutes ago, Level six said:

I am never a cheerleader for any cruise line, and I have been on several..........but I will say that NCL is doing the exact same thing ALL the cruises lines will do, make you pay at their final payment date.  I highly doubt any cruise line would "work with you". The PCC may say so and the customer service rep on the phone might say so, but when it comes time for final payment, that is it, you pay or you are cancelled.  

I think that those that said they would work with you are not being truthful and I would be really careful moving forward with just their word. 

ON the plus side, I always book cruises last minute and I get fantastic deals, so maybe that is your only choice?  But, it being a holiday cruise might not be the same.  Good luck with your cruise and have fun. 

I think I will leave that final choice up to the wife... at least until after Fathers Day!