1st Time cruiser= probably dumb questions

Sersee

1)Ok so I have tried searching for this because I know it gets asked ALL the time, but the search function isn't working well for me . I can't locate the thread that had suggestions.  I am asking the dreaded non surge protected strip I can bring.   Someone had a round one that they said made it on the ship. It had plugs and usb.  I would love to see what you guys bring with a link to it!

2) Also I will be on the Breeze...do you do anything with the European plug side to have more outlets( like an adapter)?

3)My husband has the CPAP. How long should the extension cord be that I bring? I know to pack it with his CPAP. Just a simple non surge protected extension cord?  Is the desk across the room? How do you not trip over it at night?

4) So everyone in party should download the hub app and put our reservation in... do I pay $5 for the texting portion for each member or per reservation?

5) How long does it take to normally get off the ship if you have your own luggage?  Im not in a rush , I was just wondering how much time I had to explore the area before the airport.

6) First cruise so don't know if any of us will be seasick. Was told to take Bonine days before cruise.  But for those of us that drink , do we just wait and see how we do? I am planning on the seabands. They also sell all natural patches for behind the ear on Amazon...anyone have good luck with those? I know that the prescription patches and dramamine don't do well with alcohol.

7)Is it really hard to get a lounger by the pool? Do people get up early to save their chairs? 

8) how strict are the age limits in the kids clubs. I have a 17 year old and a 14 year old. He will be three months shy of 15 when we go on the cruise. My son wanted to stick with my daughter who will be at Club o2 since they are both kind of shy. 

9) Im tempted to buy the social media package because I have someone watching my house and animals so I can use messenger. Does it work pretty well? 

10) Last.. I am psyched John Wick 3 will be the midnight movie!! LOL

3 minutes ago, Sersee said:

1)Ok so I have tried searching for this because I know it gets asked ALL the time, but the search function isn't working well for me . I can't locate the thread that had suggestions.  I am asking the dreaded non surge protected strip I can bring.   Someone had a round one that they said made it on the ship. It had plugs and usb.  I would love to see what you guys bring with a link to it!

I just bought an extension cord of Amazon it had 4 outlets and 2 USB with no surge protector. Sorry I don't have the link for the one I bought.

2) Also I will be on the Breeze...do you do anything with the European plug side to have more outlets( like an adapter)?

Sorry not sure

3)My husband has the CPAP. How long should the extension cord be that I bring? I know to pack it with his CPAP. Just a simple non surge protected extension cord?  Is the desk across the room? How do you not trip over it at night?

Some rooms are different the one I brought was 10 ft. Some people tape them down.

4) So everyone in party should download the hub app and put our reservation in... do I pay $5 for the texting portion for each member or per reservation?

Each member.

5) How long does it take to normally get off the ship if you have your own luggage?  Im not in a rush , I was just wondering how much time I had to explore the area before the airport.

That depends but I've been off in under an hour.

6) First cruise so don't know if any of us will be seasick. Was told to take Bonine days before cruise.  But for those of us that drink , do we just wait and see how we do? I am planning on the seabands. They also sell all natural patches for behind the ear on Amazon...anyone have good luck with those? I know that the prescription patches and dramamine don't do well with alcohol.

Sorry haven't used any of those.

7)Is it really hard to get a lounger by the pool? Do people get up early to save their chairs? 

Usually you have to get up early to get by the pool.

😎 how strict are the age limits in the kids clubs. I have a 17 year old and a 14 year old. He will be three months shy of 15 when we go on the cruise. My son wanted to stick with my daughter who will be at Club o2 since they are both kind of shy. 

When we used it they were strict we had two close to the same age but in different groups and they wouldn't let them stick together in the club.

9) Im tempted to buy the social media package because I have someone watching my house and animals so I can use messenger. Does it work pretty well? 

Depends on the ship, not sure about the Breeze.

I want to see that but haven't made it to the theater yet.

• Like 1

Welcome to the fantastic industry known as cruising! We are all happy to help you!

16 minutes ago, Sersee said:

Any non-surge protector power strip is allowed on Carnival. https://www.amazon.com/customerpicks/Best-non-surge-power-strips-for-cruise/e27e43703f40987ca1f5 (A high rated one on Amazon)

On my past cruises, I have never brought an adapter since with the money it costs to buy one; I could buy the power strip, and don't have to worry about it not being the right one or not functioning correctly.

I would say bring a 10' to 15' extension cord, to be on the safe side. Other CC members can correct this if needed.

$5 per person, then everyone can chat. Make sure the app is open to receive notifications!

Bring Dramamine if needed. Remember, Guest Services provides them free of charge, but I would still advise to bring your own!

Yes, some people arrive as early as 6:00 am to reserve, but then some then leave! Watch out for chair hogs! 🙂

😎 how strict are the age limits in the kids clubs. I have a 17 year old and a 14 year old. He will be three months shy of 15 when we go on the cruise. My son wanted to stick with my daughter who will be at Club o2 since they are both kind of shy. 

I am an older teen myself. Yes, they are strict with age, and your daughter will have to remain in Circle C. Don't worry, I am pretty shy myself, and I made a lot of friends, some of whom I still talk to today!

Tbh, no it doesn't work that great...others can add on to this.

Haha!

Edited by jbethel11
Some errors
  • Like 1

No stupid questions - just things you don't know! I cannot answer all of them, but I will try.

As long as it doesn't have a surge protector, it should be OK. We use a multi-USB that plugs into the outlet.

No idea!

My husband carries a 10' regular extension cord in his CPAP bag. Combined with the cord on the CPAP it is more than enough. We throw one of the small white towels over it at night. This makes it more visible in a dark room and contact with bare feet indicates where the cord it! Some people duct tape it to the floor; we just roll it up in the morning. 

I guess it depends on how much you want to keep in touch. We us a dry erase marker on the mirror to leave messages and my husband usually finds a couple of places to veg and read, so I know where to find him. 

Self assist are the first people off, usually as early as 6:30-7am. Once it's moving, it goes pretty quickly, unless there is a hold up at immigration. 

I tend toward sea sickness and have only gotten sick on a cruise ship twice in 34 cruises - and in both cases, there were big waves and I had lots of company!! If you have a long tender ride [ie, Belize] - then I would say use something. I don't drink alcohol, so I cannot help there!

Yes and no. If you want to be right next to the pool with all its madness, then you may have trouble finding one. People come and go; pool hogs do exist. If you don't mind being on the pool deck but not right near the pool, it will less of a problem.

No small kids - cannot help you here.

Internet on the ships is unpredictable because it depends on satellite and ship positioning. It can be frustrating at times. 

10) Last.. I am psyched John Wick 3 will be the midnight movie!! LOL  Enjoy!

• Like 1

Responding to the questions for which I can add some value (I hope):

1 hour ago, Sersee said:

I wouldn't bother - too many opportunities that the adapter wouldn't do everything needed, and damage your equipment.  Just use a power strip (non-surge, as noted).

1 hour ago, Sersee said:

Seabands were what we used when we were on a cruise with really huge swells (20 to 25'), and my wife and I weren't affected, but I think we have sea legs and just adapt.  I don't think the seaband nor the bonine helped my mother much - she got quite sick.  Alcohol didn't help in her case, either.  (Whereas my wife and I are quite happy to drink like fishes, regardless of sea state.)

1 hour ago, Sersee said:

Define "by the pool".  In my experience, there are usually loungers available, just not in the first few rows, and not in large grouped quantities.  But one or two "somewhere in the vicinity of the pool" should be feasible.  Observe, and if you see lots of chairs "reserved" with no-one using them, go ask the pool attendant whether they have a policy about that...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sersee said:

I hate the search function - can't even find my own posts using it!  I am bringing a simple extension cord.  It's about 10foot long, white, has a standard non grounded plug on one end, and on the other end three plugs - 2 on one side, 1 on the other.  Probably what you'd find at Dollar General, Walmart, Kroger, etc.   Generic extension cord.  
I am also bringing this to plug into it  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HQY35SM   so that we have places to plug in both phones, kindle, etc.

My kids have one of those universal adapters that works everyplace.  While you could bring that, other than the USB ports on there, they typically do not do anything with voltage.   So while the USB may put out 5V, the mains will be putting out 220V.  This is all well and good if you have something that can make use of that safely...just make sure that it can take a range of voltage - usually from 110V-240V.  If it can't, it will work...briefly...twice as fast or bright as at home!  😐

The above 10 foot cord is what we bring and my CPAP is one of the things that goes in it.  We've not had much of an issue with it.  Rooms are different from ship to ship.  Sometimes it runs across the desk right by the bed, sometimes across the floor.  Combined with whatever amount of lead the CPAP plug itself has on it, it's not an issue as for reaching.  Don't recall it being an issue as for tripping.  If so, throw a towel or something over it at night and unplug it and move it out of the way during the day.   Then again, traveling with my wife and kids,  a power cord is the smallest thing on the floor to trip over!

Not 100% sure about that as I've not used it for the chat, but yes, download it before you leave, and it is $5 per person (well, most accurately probably per device.   I understand they have infrastructure, etc to run this, but I find it gouging to charge for this.  I feel they should provide it for free, or at least for people traveling with minors.  But oh well, I don't run a successful cruise company! 

Depends.  I think we're usually off by 8am, but it's been a while and I am getting different cruises confused in my head.

So...can you read in a car?  If so you should be fine.   I can't read in a car, get sick playing first-person shooter video games from time to time, and the time we went scuba diving, a 45 minute board ride out, they wanted me off the boat first, an fast!!!   But I can read just fine on a cruise ship.    The first time I went, I took Bonine.  All I wanted to do was sleep the whole time.  I know it's supposed to be less drowsy inducing than dramamine, but it knocked me.  I also had the sea bands (which in the past did NOTHING for me).    However, other than once or twice, which may have been psychosomatic, I felt fine.    

The second cruise, I took ginger pills, started a day or two before, took one in the morning and one in the evening and was perfectly fine.  We even went on a boat around Half-Moon Cay for an excursion and did not bother me.  Same with the tender ride at Belize next cruise.  And our room was all the way forward on the bottom deck.  So I swear by them.  In the vitamin and supplement section of CVS/Walmart/etc.  

Yes they do.  We've had luck from time to time, but it's really annoying.  I'll go up for coffee around 7am and there are towels pinned up, or shoes laying on most of the chairs.   But there are better places to sit...I don't really want to be right by the pool, but it still pisses me off.

This one will be dependent upon who you talk to, but they are pretty strict.  I know I'm thinking of RCI, where we had 5 girls who had been in a scout troop since they were 6.  Two were 18 (like 18 +1 month), two were not (and the third didn't care).  They would not let the older ones hang out there, so they all ditched.  Now, that is technically an adult vs non-adult.  I do believe we may have had some luck with getting our younger in with the older one (14 and 17).  It took me forever with the searching, but found my review which says we had success.

Club O2

Last trip my oldest was 14. She'd wake up an abandon us for Circle C. This time she's 17 and the younger on is 14 (15 in October) We signed them up for Club O2. Youngest wanted to stay with her sister (they are close). They said she was close enough and let her in O2. 10 minutes after explaining they wanted to stick together, the oldest shows up standing next to me watching the band, abandoning her sister. Go figure.

Hit or miss - depends on how many people using it.  We used it to "search" for a place to go in Cozumel - basically searched twitter which was a weird way to find a place.   I get it for WhatsApp just in case work needs me...oh and posting pictures showing I'm having fun and others are not.  Again, very hit or miss.  I'd think as long as you're not doing much with images, it works well enough.

As for John Wick...I suggest you watch it, or he will find you!  🙂

Have fun!!!!

Suggest taking a simple extension cord with a few plugs on the end as a fail safe if your main solution is confiscated. We took one and also had a non surge protected power strip that was confiscated. Briefly tried to show that it was labeled as not having surge protection but security was not interested in discussing. 

Also had a usb hub to plug in the extension cord. Worked fine. 

• Like 1

I'll just chime in about the motion sickness...  I take ginger (as someone else mentioned)

I start taking it a few days before my cruise, one tablet with each meal, and continue taking it throughout the cruise and have ZERO issues with motion sickness (and I am someone who gets serious motion sickness!!  Car rides, flight simulators...  I can't even watch movies that have a lot of motion...  gets me nauseous!!)

• Like 3

We used a plug adapter (had one from travel to Europe) in the European plug to charge our iPhones, charge the battery for a camera and for my dual-voltage hairdryer.   As long as your device is dual-voltage the European plug can be used.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sersee said:

If you hit up amazon just search non surge protector power strip for cruise ship and tons come up. Average about $15-20 with a large selection of different styles. so you can choose what you like 

not worth it if you're getting the power strip. 

depending on what room you guys have, and what side of the bed he sleeps on id say 15' should suffice. at night time you can lay a towel down across the cord so you don't trip on it when walking across it. others may have a better idea for this one I've never had to use one. 

$5 per person. don't close out the app completely or you won't get the messages until you click back on it. 

if you have your own luggage with the size of the Breeze id say approx 1 - 1.5 hours. by the time you get down go through customs etc. however every cruise Is different with who's getting off when 

Ive heard any patches can have a side effect with alcohol, I cannot comment first hand on this. but my friend she wore the seabands, as well as had ginger candies. apparently the ginger helps tremendously. a lot of your crews actually carry the candy for themselves.

With the amount of people that the Breeze carries absolutely. ive been out on a morning run at around 530am and there are already people sitting out there as well as people putting their towels down. so best of luck to you on this one. I'm not a lounge around kinda guy.     Get Towel clips off Amazon too very inexpensive holds your towel to the chair. it helps identify your chairs and it can get quite windy out there 

8) how strict are the age limits in the kids clubs. I have a 17 year old and a 14 year old. He will be three months shy of 15 when we go on the cruise. My son wanted to stick with my daughter who will be at Club o2 since they are both kind of shy. 

not sure on this one. you might be able to talk to the people who are running it and see what they can accommodate. usually carnival is very understanding when it comes to family . 

social media package works well. if you try to upload a video it doesn't work as well, but for pictures it's great. FB messanger, WhatsApp, SnapChat, Instagram all work fine. some parts of the ship have better service than others. 

I hope this is playing in February on the Horizon when im on there 

any more questions just ask :) 

• Like 1

A plug adapter (device simply changes the shape of the outlet blades and holes) works well for a pure USB multi-hub (one that does not have a power outlet on it), as virtually every USB charger accepts 100-240 volts and can be used in the European outlet, and this frees up the US outlet for things like hair dryers, etc.

Be very careful when selecting a combination USB device (one that has USB ports and power outlets in the same device), as most of these are surge protected, even when they say they aren't.  For sure, the "Cruise On" "cruise approved" device (oval shaped, white device with power outlets and USB) claims to be non-surge protected, but their own photos of the back shows that it has a "VPN" of 800 volts.  VPN is a measure of surge protection.  Look for VPN or "clamping voltage" on the device, and if it is there, the device is surge protected.

• Like 3

Regarding seasickness measures: If you normally do not have a problem with motion, there is no need to take anything prior to the cruise. Maybe indulge in ginger snaps if you like cookies. 😉   I take Bonine along (less side effect than Dramamine) just in case. Often on the first night I will start to get that “motion” feeling and if I do, will take one immediately. Takes care of it. Just stay in tune to your body—even though drinking—and take immediately when needed.

It also will not hurt if you take one prophylactically when you board but totally unnecessary to start earlier (if you don’t normally have the problem)

• Like 1

Here are two threads that might be useful:

Also, here is why you don't use surge protectors at sea.

And a tip that I use when searching for articles is to use google and limit to either:

site:boards.cruisecritic.com (forums) or site:cruisecritic.com/reviews/ (reviews)

Here is what I used to find the link to the one that I posed.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sabalon said:

Club O2

Last trip my oldest was 14. She'd wake up an abandon us for Circle C. This time she's 17 and the younger on is 14 (15 in October) We signed them up for Club O2. Youngest wanted to stay with her sister (they are close). They said she was close enough and let her in O2. 10 minutes after explaining they wanted to stick together, the oldest shows up standing next to me watching the band, abandoning her sister. Go figure.

Thank You!  I guess we can just try. I am assuming you went to Club 02 to check? I signed them each up for their clubs but they want to stick together( well at least for now. lol)  They seem to think they need each other until they meet people.  But Your kids are the EXACT same as mine. My oldest is 17 and my youngest is 14 turning 15 in October. When I signed them up on the hub... I couldn't put my 14 year old in Club o2.

15 hours ago, robIsCruising said:

Suggest taking a simple extension cord with a few plugs on the end as a fail safe if your main solution is confiscated. We took one and also had a non surge protected power strip that was confiscated. Briefly tried to show that it was labeled as not having surge protection but security was not interested in discussing. 

Also had a usb hub to plug in the extension cord. Worked fine. 

Good Idea. I have to take one anyway for the CPAP.

1 minute ago, Sersee said:

Thank You!  I guess we can just try. I am assuming you went to Club 02 to check? I signed them each up for their clubs but they want to stick together( well at least for now. lol)  They seem to think they need each other until they meet people.  But Your kids are the EXACT same as mine. My oldest is 17 and my youngest is 14 turning 15 in October. When I signed them up on the hub... I couldn't put my 14 year old in Club o2.

Yes, but I am sure under certain conditions they would allow. I wouldn't want to be with my younger brother after I met a few friends, maybe your children can relate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

A plug adapter (device simply changes the shape of the outlet blades and holes) works well for a pure USB multi-hub (one that does not have a power outlet on it), as virtually every USB charger accepts 100-240 volts and can be used in the European outlet, and this frees up the US outlet for things like hair dryers, etc.

Be very careful when selecting a combination USB device (one that has USB ports and power outlets in the same device), as most of these are surge protected, even when they say they aren't.  For sure, the "Cruise On" "cruise approved" device (oval shaped, white device with power outlets and USB) claims to be non-surge protected, but their own photos of the back shows that it has a "VPN" of 800 volts.  VPN is a measure of surge protection.  Look for VPN or "clamping voltage" on the device, and if it is there, the device is surge protected.

Interesting.  That is what I am afraid of that they will be confiscated because they are surge protected even though it doesn't say it is.

So maybe I can get a plug adapter and the pure usb for the European plug  and then a straight extension cord for other things?  I had one in mind but it is a combo usb.   So maybe like this?:

european adapter.jpg

usb.jpg

1 hour ago, five. said:

Here are two threads that might be useful:

Also, here is why you don't use surge protectors at sea.

And a tip that I use when searching for articles is to use google and limit to either:

site:boards.cruisecritic.com (forums) or site:cruisecritic.com/reviews/ (reviews)

Here is what I used to find the link to the one that I posed.

Thank you ! Super helpful and tips on how to search! 

14 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

Yes, but I am sure under certain conditions they would allow. I wouldn't want to be with my younger brother after I met a few friends, maybe your children can relate.

Exactly.. It's just the initial nervousness and being more so for my daughter. My son doesn't care but he said if he can he will go with her. Then I am sure they will go their separate ways lol. 

Just now, Sersee said:

Exactly.. It's just the initial nervousness and being more so for my daughter. My son doesn't care but he said if he can he will go with her. Then I am sure they will go their separate ways lol. 

Here is a huge tip: SIGN YOUR TEENS UP FOR THE TEENS CLUB ALMOST IMMEDIATELY AFTER YOU GET ON BOARD. Sorry to have it in all caps, but it is soooo important!

21 minutes ago, Sersee said:

Yes.  We didn't do any sign up ahead of time.  We just went to the club o2 and talked to the people working there and explained the situation.    

Even if it doesn't work out - when mine with the Circle C, she LOVED it.  She would get up and want to go straight there, wanted to eat with her friends, hang out with the core group having pizza and ice cream on Lido at all hours.   (Oddly enough, dad just happened to keep "randomly" passing by where they were, getting a drink, etc.)   She even went to the dance event they had - this is someone who avoided every school dance she could!

Good luck!

BTW - Oct 11th is the actual bday and the other is Feb.

Make sure the kids go the first night or whenever the first meeting is- everyone's new, and everyone's looking to make friends quickly.  I always see groups of kids wandering the ship- they seem to buddy up quickly and have a great time, but it's not necessarily in the club area.  Lots of pizza, lots of ice cream, lots of just walking up and down decks is what I've noticed.  

• Like 1