Marina Specialty Restaurants

Larainerenee8

12 minutes ago, clo said:

Curious as to why please.

Polo was ordinary, nothing memorable. My filet mignon was just okay. Honestly, it wasn’t tender and tasty. One of my table mates sent her steak back because it was not cooked as ordered. I don’t even remember what sides I had.  The tuna tataki appetizer and sea bass that I had in RG was the best meal that I had on the cruise.

Again, this is just my opinion.  Food is subjective. 

• Like 1

We went to Polo twice on the last cruise on Marina.  Once via Privee, where I had the worst Rib Eye Steak that I have ever had.  I could not cut it or eat it.  I should have sent it back but there were so many people and I had actually had plenty of food.  Once at Polo, itself, where I had an excellent Prime Rib.  

No matter where you go, there is a chance that you will find something that you do not like.  

All in all, the specialty restaurants on Marina have a very nice atmosphere, quieter than GDR, excellent service and great food.  We will go to all four on our next cruise.  

On 6/22/2019 at 1:08 PM, clo said:

Did I read here that you can make a res at one and then perhaps trade for another?

You wont need to   On board there will be plenty of opportunities  for as many reservations as you want if you flexible and the cruise is over 10 days..    Dont get wound up  just because you cant get more than 4 advance reservations.....  Once on board....  I have almost always found it easy to get reservations where I want after sailing ... check each morning.     AND   if the sea gets a tiny bit rocky...... whooo boy..... all sorts of cancels  by folks who get spooked...      Again  be flexible   share a table, , be open as to time...  and enjoy

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

You wont need to   On board there will be plenty of opportunities  for as many reservations as you want if you flexible and the cruise is over 10 days..    Dont get wound up  just because you cant get more than 4 advance reservations.....  Once on board....  I have almost always found it easy to get reservations where I want after sailing ... check each morning.     AND   if the sea gets a tiny bit rocky...... whooo boy..... all sorts of cancels  by folks who get spooked...      Again  be flexible   share a table, , be open as to time...  and enjoy

GREAT info!  Thanks a million.

21 hours ago, aquidneck1 said:

We went to Polo twice on the last cruise on Marina.  Once via Privee, where I had the worst Rib Eye Steak that I have ever had.  I could not cut it or eat it.  I should have sent it back but there were so many people and I had actually had plenty of food.  Once at Polo, itself, where I had an excellent Prime Rib.  

No matter where you go, there is a chance that you will find something that you do not like.  

All in all, the specialty restaurants on Marina have a very nice atmosphere, quieter than GDR, excellent service and great food.  We will go to all four on our next cruise.  

Actually,   This might sound funny, but if your into creative cuisine, and like creating your own menu  the Terrace is outstanding... A buffet/grill !!!        They will have many items  from the dining room, several from the specialties like Polo and Toscana and Red Ginger... may be Jaques too.        You can  create;     example      Seafood salad  smoked duck sausage and escargot .    Prime rib  with   lobster,  wild forest mushrooms ,  saffron rice,  finished with Apple Strudel  with vanilla and schalg.     All in casual  bliss over 2 hours.....

Just as you can find something, everywhere you dont like... you can find everywhere something  you do like

3879B8F0-889E-4B70-A2AD-67BA7CE30D5E.JPG

Dan has gone off to the terrace.  He put all of that on his plate.   We tried the terrace on the Sirena and decided that we prefer the GDR where we can sit and relax and be served.  That said, the option of the terrace is excellent and indeed they have lots of variation.  

I am not sure how the wine service is in the evening - it suffers during the day.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, aquidneck1 said:

Dan has gone off to the terrace.  He put all of that on his plate.   We tried the terrace on the Sirena and decided that we prefer the GDR where we can sit and relax and be served.  That said, the option of the terrace is excellent and indeed they have lots of variation.  

I am not sure how the wine service is in the evening - it suffers during the day.  

Actual  it was 4 plates paced  over 2 hours... just like courses in a tasting menu.     It was fun   I was not into a wine experience.... I like wine  but it is not a requirement   I can take it or leave it as the case may be...

22 minutes ago, clo said:

Was that one dish?  Sounds not good at all.

No  it was 2 plates       a smoked duck sausage  with olives and  sun dried tomato and a ramekin of escargot - one plate as an entree + A glass of Gewurztraminer     I could have used some grilled figs !! 

Seafood salad  was shrimp, calamari, clams and baby scallops w/ some marjoram,  tarragon and lemon zest great texture and flavor   lite  and  + A Pinot  Grigio .

Rare prime rib,  Lobster tail,  ramekin of forest mushrooms and saffron rice worked well together had color  red yellow.. a red lobster tail looked good on a bed of yellow rice    ( Saffron and lobster worked well  no butter).  and a glass of Rose

Seeing the product in person and its preparation was key... way better than off a menu wondering  what the kitchen will do.... in the dining room   I was like making a quilt and you had all these wonderful patterns and colors to mix and match...   Fun

If I want to stand in a buffet line at dinner, I’ll go to Furr’s Cafeteria! Will probably get get far better drink service there also. 

We enjoy the GDR and don’t believe the quality of the cuisine of the Terrace demands the excitement given by Dan. Each to his own. Those lobster tails, in the Terrace, are still $4 warm water lobster tails at Whole Foods and you still have to fight with the staff to not overcook! I prefer the GDR and ordering what I want from a sit down menu, ordering the wine that I want that best compliments the dish, and feeling confident the wine order will be taken and delivered. 

We all have different priorities and am glad  Dan and others utilize the Terrace to meet theirs, while we eat with lesser crowds in the GDR. Enjoy the options!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

. just like courses in a tasting menu. 

I like that idea a lot.  The courses don't have to 'hang together' since they're spaced appropriately.  But the mentioned downfall in wine service would  be a minus for me.  When we go to Jacques, for sure, we'll likely share a whole bunch of apps and that will likely be our whole dinner.

16 hours ago, clo said:

I like that idea a lot.  The courses don't have to 'hang together' since they're spaced appropriately.  But the mentioned downfall in wine service would  be a minus for me.  When we go to Jacques, for sure, we'll likely share a whole bunch of apps and that will likely be our whole dinner.

Yes..... I began doing just that and just having entrees and skip the plates.    Some times you just do not need all that food.    I very much enjoy  the top French Michelin ***   7 courses over 3.5 hours all 3 to 4 bites.   Thomas Keller clued me in once  saying  he preferred servings of  3 bites   1 to discover, 2 to explore 3 to leave you wanting more. 

Remember  Jacques is more of a Brasserie  not a restaurant.  simple hearty  country dishes the Jacques enjoyed back in Lyon....  Grilled scallops,  Pate,  are standouts

As to Pintlover.... I would gladly give up the service and civility on the main dining room  in favor of the creative  flexibility of the moment and the freedom  to see what and how they are doing stuff that night.   

As a chef will craft his menu around what is best that day, you can at the terrace likewise pick what is the best that day.     I make it a point to connect with the line cooks in the grill  and mention past kitchen experience...  I get much more   from that....   

Too,  I wait till almost 8 to get high end things  as its around then that the ships officers and staff  come in  and the  food gets kicked up ...  like a fresh roast or rack.

If not.... there is always tomorrow.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Thomas Keller clued me in once  saying  he preferred servings of  3 bites   1 to discover, 2 to explore 3 to leave you wanting more. 

I hadn't seen that before.  Perfect.

And I want seared foie anytime and anywhere they have it.  Oh, yeah, and escargot.  and............. 🙂

• Like 1

Like Sunlover12, we just got off of Marina 5 days ago, after our first Oceania cruise.  In almost every way, we loved it.  And as for the specialty restaurants, we ranked them Red Ginger, Jacques and then Polo, although they were all outstanding.  We didn't do Toscano because we cancelled our reservation there when we were able to finagle a second time at Red Ginger.  Our travelling companions, who called themselves non-cruisers previously, have come around and want to book another cruise with Oceania soon.  A great experience for all of us.

• Like 2

But back to the OP's original question:

In the end, it all comes down to your own tastes and cuisine preferences.  All are (normally) excellent.  But if you crave Italian, Toscana won't dissapoint you.  If you are seeking out French bistro or brassiere dishes, then Jacques is the place.  If you want Asian Fusion, try Red Ginger, but if your tastes tend towards steakhouse fare, by all means head for Polo.  Really, asking which is better is just asking for cuisine preferences. But why limit yourself to only two unless there are one or two of the specialty cuisines that don't  fit your fancy? 

Edited by 1985rz1

We love the specialty restaurants on O ships. We have cruised twice on the Riviera and have a Marina cruise booked for 2020. What I can say about the specialty restaurants is this. Toscana is yummy even if Italian is not your favorite. I loved the Gorgonzola filet. And I’m not even a steak lover. The  Miso Sea Bass is well worth the visit to Red Ginger. The cuisine in Jacques was hit and miss for us and very rich. We tried it a 2nd time and it was superb. Polo was the same ..had a mediocre experience and a good one.  So in my opinion I would choose Red Ginger and Toscana. Enjoy. 

‘If you have OBC to spend, book the Reserve. It was a wonderful food and wine experience. 

20 minutes ago, carlsbadguy said:

Are the menus for the specialty restaurants on line accurate to what is currently available?

They're "sample" menus.  That means, generally not just on ships, that it represents the type of food and preparation that they specialize in.  You'll find the same thing on restaurant website.  And more and more these days as what's available is key.  Having something very good is better than the standard menu item.

34 minutes ago, carlsbadguy said:

Are the menus for the specialty restaurants on line accurate to what is currently available?

99.9% accurate.

Many here complain that they haven’t changed in years. I don’t mind as we cruise once or twice a year - that is not too repetitious, especially as one does not have to choose the same item each time 😊

We repeat our  “menu” at home many, many times during the year, even with eating out.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 3

Agree.  There have been very few changes on the specialty menus.  They aren't samples, they are what you will see.  At least the ones I see here are the same as I've always seen on all the ships.

I do remember some years ago -- we were on an "R" ship and the food demo was given by the Toscana head chef.  One of the samples was a risotto that was just fabulous, and I''m not really a fan of risotto.  When we complimented him that night at dinner he told us it was leaving the menu ...

But certainly if you are new to Oceania and would like to know what kind of food is served at the various restaurants, this is a good way to get an idea.

Early Jacques menus had a fabulous mussels appetizer which I always ordered.  That was discontinued pretty early ... I always wondered if that was because it can be difficult to GET the mussels.  Certainly on the itineraries where they were to be found, they always ran out before the end of the cruise!

Mura

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carlsbadguy said:

the Specialty & Waves  menus look pretty much like we had on Marina in April

The GDR & the Terrace of course will change

2 hours ago, Mura said:

I always wondered if that was because it can be difficult to GET the mussels

We get crazy good mussels in Seattle.  But I have the impression that a lot of people 'think' they wouldn't like them.

The Red Ginger entree menu seems to change the most year to year.  I am allergic to fish (with fins and scales, not yummy seafood) so I need to look beyond the sea bass!

Speaking of Red Ginger, Jim, in May I tried the lobster pad Thai for the first time, and I was very happy!

Edited by CintiPam

10 hours ago, clo said:

We get crazy good mussels in Seattle.  But I have the impression that a lot of people 'think' they wouldn't like them.

Seattle wouldn't be a problem.  Neither would Normandy.  But there are plenty of places that DO have a problem.

I love mussels but know there are other slimy kinds of fish that I won't touch ...

Mura

52 minutes ago, Mura said:

I love mussels but know there are other slimy kinds of fish that I won't touch ...

And what, pray tell, would some of those "slimy" fish be??? 🙂