We've talked about how awful it is what they did on the Getaway, right?

PortFees45

2 hours ago, Birdie And Sue said:

Or maybe it will be enough Vibe spaces so that it eliminates the mad rush that exists now and people have been wining about since day one.  Perfect example of a company doing something that has been (at least) indirectly requested by its customers and then catching hell over doing exactly what was asked for.  😮🙄

They were very popular for $100 a pop. Haven't read as much about them since they doubled to $200. From everything I've read people did ask for the ability to prebook, to buy day passes, to book slightly more than just the number of chairs. I don't recall anyone asking for them to double the price, dedicate 1/3rd of the deck space to it and remove sun space included in your ticket like H20/Spice and more than half the regular sun decks. 

They are purposely reducing the quality of other areas in the ship to bottleneck people towards the paywalls. You might have not bothered with Vibe before because you didn't find the congestion to be that bad. To get more people to pay they are making the congestion worse. They are making the situation on deck more chaotic and crowded intentionally so more people are willing to pay more to get away from it.  

It's like if they replaced all the MDRs with premium up charge restaurants. If the only thing included was the buffet for 4,000+ people how insane do you imagine it's going to be in there? What do you think your chances of getting a meal would be, how many days do you go until you crack and shell out more money at a premium and why is any of that something you'd want to deal with on vacation you paid for? 

I like NCL a lot but I don't like this direction, I thought it was bad enough just to see it happening to Encore. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Wedgie23 said:

It's like if they replaced all the MDRs with premium up charge restaurants. If the only thing included was the buffet for 4,000+ people how insane do you imagine it's going to be in there? What do you think your chances of getting a meal would be, how many days do you go until you crack and shell out more money at a premium and why is any of that something you'd want to deal with on vacation you paid for? 

i have a feeling this might be direction most cruise lines is going towards in the next 5-15 years or so. look at what virgin is doing to their ships 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, adam_s_allen said:

On the deck plans on the website now they have 2 versions, departing before Nov 12, 2020 and departing after Nov 12, 2020. The deck plans for departing after Nov 12, 2020 show that it'll be public deck space like before.

That's what I see also, looks like they will change it back

I have to smile a  bit. I have been watching a lot of documentaries on the invasion of Normandy on DDay. Most men were mowed down long before they could even get off of the troop carrier ships.

And people are having a fit  because a portion of a megaship has been privatized for people willing to pay for it. Oh no! The horror~!!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

i have a feeling this might be direction most cruise lines is going towards in the next 5-15 years or so. look at what virgin is doing to their ships 

I don't get your point with this comparison? Virgin are not having a buffet and they are not having speciality dining for an up charge. All their dining is included in the fare.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wedgie23 said:

They are purposely reducing the quality of other areas in the ship to bottleneck people towards the paywalls. You might have not bothered with Vibe before because you didn't find the congestion to be that bad. To get more people to pay they are making the congestion worse. They are making the situation on deck more chaotic and crowded intentionally so more people are willing to pay more to get away from it.   

This exactly! I was previously not interested in Vibe. I feel like I'm going to have to get a Vibe pass on Encore... not to get away from kids, and not to have any kind of exclusive VIP experience... purely because the public deck space is so limited I feel I need another option.

I do wonder what they'll do if they don't sell enough Vibe passes though. That is a huge space on Encore for it to end up empty.

Editing to add... I also wonder what they'll do when the do sell several hundred passes and they have to shut the Deck 20 space when it's too windy? That area was closed twice when I sailed on Escape last summer.

Edited by CazV

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

what is virgin doing?  if i´m correct all restaurants are included. i only saw a vip sundeck ( like Haven?). i ask because i don´t know it.

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

For me the most important thing with VIBE is that it's adults only. That was the main reason why we paid for VIBE when we cruised on the Breakaway.

We are pretty shy so for us it was the chance to meet people, hang out at the bar, etc... 

Doubling the size will take that intimacy away.  I also doubt that they will increase the staff at the same ratio they increased the space.

On 6/24/2019 at 9:41 AM, Greenpea2 said:

Well, it would be nice to have a discussion without calling people names and saying unpleasant things, but I guess not gonna happen. 

Im a realist. A cruise line is gonna do what it does to attract whatever customers they want to attract. NCL used to be going for a vast majority of everyday people with a small (ratio wise) number of suites with extra amenities. Then the hunkered down building up the suite experience but still seeming to aim for non suite majority. I’m one of the people that does both suite and non suite. Once the big ships started coming (for me it was the Epic) the main pool area was ridiculous. Tiny. Crowded. Unrelentingly loud and packed. 

Now they are continuing to expand the suite/Haven areas along with other spaces that can only be used and enjoyed with a hefty upcharge. Whether you think $200 per person fir Vibe is a lot or a little, the fact is it is now $200 per person to have a less crowded sun deck experience. 

My solution is this: when I want suite, I cruise NCL. But when I don’t want to spend that much I no longer cruise NCL. I can’t stand the main pool area and there is very little other open relatively calm areas. So then I cruise RCI for the solarium. Everyone has a choice. If the unhappy cruisers not in suites just stopped booking, then NCL would either fix what is broken for non Haven people or they will have gotten what they are going for. 

I totally agree.  When I look for a cruise I must first decide what I want out of that cruise and second how much I am willing to pay for it.  Each vacation is different.  We have sailed inside on the smallest Carnival ships for a cheap family vacation, OV's on Disney for family vacations with friends, and we have sailed Angle and Aft Balconies on NCL for adult-only getaways. 

I currently have an OV booked on CCL Sensation and an Aft Balcony booked on CCL Mardi Gras.  I have yet to want to spend more than that for a suite or above.  Nor have I had the want to spend more Vibe passes.  I know on the smaller/mid-size ships no matter what cruise line I will have a better chance finding open deck space to hang out on.  I know on the mega ships there is usually a Promenade Deck with open deck space....but if I want guarantee myself private deck space, I purchasing a balcony room.  Since I am not a pool person or a big jacuzzi person this solves that problem. 

I have my choice on what type of room to purchase, what type of extras I want to purchase and what type of line I want to sail on.  I decide how much I am willing to spend for those choices.  If a ship doesn't offer what I am looking for at a price I am willing to pay for that vacation, I look at other ships.  In the end it is our own decision to make.  If you don't like what NCL is offering with the -away ships then sail another class ship or another line.  Cruise lines are going to do what is best for their stock holders.  They are a business.  We are the ones who need to decide what is best for us and our own vacation needs.  This decision of NCL's does not affect my decision making about their ships at all but it does affect OP's.  Simple solution.  Don't choose a ship that doesn't meet your wants.  There are lots of choices out there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ronbe65 said:

Virgin will have a buffet under a different name.

AFAIK (not reconfirmed - please correct me if needed) there will be a separate "VIP"area.

Not everyone will be allowed to enjoy views forward. A triple price for dining will be included in the inflated fare. Doesn't it sound familiar?

Yes, this is an old story.

The unborn baby is already old and sick.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of some of that info. Good to know. Their solo pricing is quite competitive given all restaurants are included, so I'm still interested in what they have to offer.

24 minutes ago, Warm Breezes said:

Waterfront.  Awesome place.

I honestly expect The Waterfront to be impacted by the sun deck situation on Encore. I hope I'm wrong.

On 6/25/2019 at 5:07 AM, tjt87 said:

Sorry you feel that way, but the more areas that are roped off, Extra fee, or just not available to the standard fare paying passenger the more I fell like I'm a steerage passenger. It makes me feel uncomfortable or not worthy, It increases the number of entitled people on the cruise,  something I vacation to get away from.

One reason why I am reconsidering my travel options.

Like it or not there is a class system onboard the NCL mega ships and the gap is getting wider. 

I have never felt like I was a steerage passenger on any ship I have sailed on and have never been in a suite or above.  3 of our cruises were on NCL "mega" ships.  If you "feel" uncomfortable or not worthy and are seeing entitled people everywhere then I think that may be more of a personal issue for you.  If I were you, I would definitely avoid sailing NCL in the future for my own sanity.  I think reconsidering your travel options is an excellent idea. 

"Class system", in my opinion, is more a case of jealousy than anything else.  You get what you pay for.  If I wanted to sail in a Haven and get the associated perks with it, I would have to depart with more  my hard earned money to get it.  Since I do not want to depart with more of my hard earned money to get it, I will continue to sail in Non-Suite rooms and absolutely enjoy what I paid for.  In doing so I do not feel uncomfortable or not worthy.  I do not see an increase in entitled people...I don't even know who they are, nor do I care.  I'd rather focus on me and my family and enjoy our vacation and not worry about what someone else is doing.  

Edited by Warm Breezes
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

Probably on the tiny, crowded, cramped public pool deck.

I will never set foot on the Encore. F that ship. You can get laser tag and go-carts at any rinkydink putt-putt golf course/amusement park. 

So don't sail Encore.  NCL is not twisting your arm to.  Sail on a different ship that has want you want.  I'm not sure why this makes you so angry.  I'm sure there are many passengers who will be interested in what NCL is offering on this ship and they will pay to sail on her.  So this ship will be catering to a different customer base than you are currently in.  So what?  There any many other ships and lines to choose from.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CazV said:

Thanks. I wasn't aware of some of that info. Good to know. Their solo pricing is quite competitive given all restaurants are included, so I'm still interested in what they have to offer.

That poster is a little confused (or exaggerating). Virgin (so far) has all dining included. (Also basic WiFi, coffee/tea/soda, gym classes, gratuities, etc.) They’re supposed to have a “marketplace” type buffet (which will allegedly have food stations with things like sushi), and specialty restaurants. All included in fare. 

There is one private sundeck for suites. It’s not a “pay to unlock” scenario like Vibe.

Of course they are ten months from launch and the accountants could change their minds.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CazV said:

This exactly! I was previously not interested in Vibe. I feel like I'm going to have to get a Vibe pass on Encore... not to get away from kids, and not to have any kind of exclusive VIP experience... purely because the public deck space is so limited I feel I need another option.

I do wonder what they'll do if they don't sell enough Vibe passes though. That is a huge space on Encore for it to end up empty.

Editing to add... I also wonder what they'll do when the do sell several hundred passes and they have to shut the Deck 20 space when it's too windy? That area was closed twice when I sailed on Escape last summer.

Have the Encore deck plans changed such that the impacts being talked about in this thread are new to folks who have already booked?   If they have I get the heartburn. If they haven’t the good news is you don’t -have- to do anything and you do have -other options-.  

1 hour ago, GratefulRIC said:

Have the Encore deck plans changed such that the impacts being talked about in this thread are new to folks who have already booked?   If they have I get the heartburn. If they haven’t the good news is you don’t -have- to do anything and you do have -other options-.  

Some people booked before deck plans were published. I booked before the most recent deck plans were published. In the UK we have non-refundable deposits so if I cancel I will lose money. Even so, I have given it some consideration but I have decided not to cancel... I will have a great time. That doesn't stop me from having an opinion on what impact I think the sun deck situation will have. I will find out for sure on board in November.

Edited by CazV

5 hours ago, Warm Breezes said:

So don't sail Encore.  NCL is not twisting your arm to.  Sail on a different ship that has want you want.  I'm not sure why this makes you so angry.  I'm sure there are many passengers who will be interested in what NCL is offering on this ship and they will pay to sail on her.  So this ship will be catering to a different customer base than you are currently in.  So what?  There any many other ships and lines to choose from.

People really need to understand this. NCL (and literally every other business for that matter) solely cares about what decisions make them the most money. If you play their game when you have a problem with it, all you're doing is encouraging them to continue. But sadly l, it seems like so many people on CC fail to understand the basic concept that money speaks louder than words.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CazV said:

Some people booked before deck plans were published. I booked before the most recent deck plans were published. In the UK we have non-refundable deposits so if I cancel I will lose money. Even so, I have given it some consideration but I have decided not to cancel... I will have a great time. That doesn't stop me from having an opinion on what impact I think the sun deck situation will have. I will find out for sure on board in November.

10-4 I wasn’t aware Encore changed I thought it was speculation. I need to read more...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Twipenne said:

People really need to understand this. NCL (and literally every other business for that matter) solely cares about what decisions make them the most money. If you play their game when you have a problem with it, all you're doing is encouraging them to continue. But sadly l, it seems like so many people on CC fail to understand the basic concept that money speaks louder than words.

Well said.

The truth of the matter is this gang, FDR doesn't read CC.  Andrew doesn't read CC.  FDR has employees that laugh and tell him what they read on CC.  They don't care.  When the corporate employees read CC and other sources of social media about their product, they evaluate to see where there are new opportunities.  This publicly held company is providing their shareholders with record profits, quarter after quarter now.  They love FDR, he's selling ALOT of widgets folks, that is what this about.  They make a widget, and they maximize the profitability.  It wasn't always like this here, but it is now, and it's here to stay.

If you don't care for the product anymore, and the product vs pricing trend, then don't keep swallowing hard and continuing to pay the fees and uncharges and the cost of the TCZ AND Shrimp Cocktail. You're only feeding the 5000lb gorilla gang. I think this is widespread, for some of us legacy loyalists to NCL.  Spread your wings and try something new, we did and we love the new brands.  I really want to sail Regent, rather than Haven in the future, it's so much more for the dollar IMHO. We are NYC market cruisers, and as one poster mentioned, the Allure, Meraviglia, recently renovated Summit (looks really nice)and other ships are looking rather good in town.  I still really love the Gem, I still love the Sun, and I will always love the Breakaway, as she was in 2015 and maybe now, but not the way she will go in the future most likely, sadly.  I do, btw remember Uptown.  Those were Kevin Sheehan ideas/designs, and slowly they're disappearing. 

The pendulum has swung far and hard to the profitability side.  I believe, in time the pendulum will begin to come back the other way, toward customer satisfaction, when the point of diminished returns has been reached for profits.  

When FDR retires from NCL, he will have maximized profits for the Shareholders, and thus his own personal income.  He won't be sailing on a cruise ship gang, not now and not after retirement (Yacht, maybe).  FDR follows the airline execs carefully, this I know to be fact.  He has transferred some of the airline pricing tactics to the cruise industry and introduced them as 'first to market' strategies.  Bag fees, extra room seats, board early, carry on.... all up-charges.. Sound familiar? Remember when you could just pick a bulkhead seat? Remember when you could just pick a Port Forward lounger? Sound familiar?

It is what it is. Vote with your dollar.  It's the only feedback they understand.

Still love cruising, always will. Best thing on earth!

• Like 5