DVD Players

Cruise a holic

We've cruised in an RS for the last 4 or 5 I think?  No - no separate DVD payer as such.  But you can link a windows compatible laptop through USB to the main screen.  (never had an apple product, never will...)  For us we realized after probably the  first cruise (long before an RS) that we didn't need a DVD player - but each to their own.  DD watches You tube or netflix on streaming using the on board wifi.   Anything else we have pre loaded or ripped is on the laptops etc. which link.  We've not found any need to bring physical media on broad  outside of that. 

Perhaps if you are RS and there is something on DVD you really want to bring if you rip it to hard storage on a USB compatible device you can watch it that way?

But if you have Apple products.. I'm sure there is a similar way.  I just don't know what it is!

When we boarded the Eclipse PH about 2 years ago the previous guests had requested and been provided with a DVD player. The butler hadn’t disconnected it until he had checked we didn’t want it. I guess they have a couple if requested by suites but with most people now downloading those requests are probably far less frequent and as machines break they probably are not renewing.

Never seen one in a RS....I also remember a VHS in the Millie PH many years ago!!! I can remember the suite lounges on RC having a video then DVD library, I don’t think Michael’s Club has ever offered DVDs on loan.

If you download films to iPad, surface or other device and either you or the butler cannot connect to the TV they will send an electrician down to see if they can sort.

Edited by chemmo

I recall one in a Celebrity Suite on my first X cruise. It was wall mounted.

When I used that suite again on a later cruise, the machine was gone!

Certainly Princess ships had DVD players in the 90s and early 2000s... 

I wonder if some cruise ships in the 70s had betamax...

• Like 1

HAL has them on only the ships that don't have the new entertainment system.  The new system they have is great (better than Celebrity's).  Lots of content that streams for free, including newer movies.

• Like 1