Vibration problem on Caribbean Princess

richmke

10 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

I noticed the vibrations the most when crossing the Straits of Florida in May on the Caribbean princess but once past that it was okay.

Thanks for that info.  Really just a matter of hours rather than the whole 14 days.

On 7/2/2019 at 3:25 PM, FloaterBoat said:

We're on the CB in a couple months, mid-ship club class mini suite.  I hope we won't have to deal with that noise and feeling 😕

We were just on the CB on the May 18-25 cruise. (Eastern Itinerary)  We were in a mid ship Club Class cabin. (D422).  I must be crazy but we did not feel any vibrations anywhere on the ship. Our cabin and the CC dining room were  quiet.  We ate breakfast and lunch most days in the World Market buffet.  We spent our sea days in the Sanctuary.  I am so surprised to read these posts. I must have been on a different ship!  

Enjoy your cruise!  You will find your wait-staff in the CC dining room to be top notch!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The fact that this is primarily felt in the aft quarter of a ship has long made me wonder why so many cruisers seek out cabin towards the aft.

I am starting to plan my next cruise, and am selecting Forward to avoid the vibrations, and because they are cheaper.

25 minutes ago, turquoisesea said:

We were just on the CB on the May 18-25 cruise. (Eastern Itinerary)  We were in a mid ship Club Class cabin. (D422).  I must be crazy but we did not feel any vibrations anywhere on the ship. Our cabin and the CC dining room were  quiet.  We ate breakfast and lunch most days in the World Market buffet.  We spent our sea days in the Sanctuary.  I am so surprised to read these posts. I must have been on a different ship!  

Enjoy your cruise!  You will find your wait-staff in the CC dining room to be top notch!

Not surprising to me.

2 people same ship 2 totally different experiences.

It happens all the time.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, richmke said:

I am starting to plan my next cruise, and am selecting Forward to avoid the vibrations, and because they are cheaper.

There are two down sides to forward cabins.   1.  In rough seas the most ship movement is felt towards the bow.    2.  The forward cabins are the furthest from the food venues :).  For us these are not issues since any movement (rare on most cruises) simply rocks us asleep.  As to being far from the Lido and dining rooms we relish the longer walks.

Hank

We will be on the CB next summer for a 16 day cruise.  We were last on the CB last fall for a 14 day cruise.  On the last cruise on the CB we did not experience any vibration problems but the ship was not able to go full speed due to the propulsion problem.  It sounds like the propulsion problem was fixed earlier this year but now may have a vibration problem.  Hopefully by next year that problem will be identified and fixed.  We like the CB, OM and new configuration including the WFM.  

Being an engineer I can relate to the harmonics issue.  In school the Tacoma Bridge, aka Galloping Gertie, was brought up as a harmonic issue where it reached resonance and self destructed.  The CB is nowhere near that but harmonics is a constant engineering issue.  

We were on an aft balcony (C742) on the CB in March and did not experience any vibration issues.  We were very pleased about this since we normally do not sail in aft staterooms due to the possibility of vibration.  We had a late booking for this cruise and had very few stateroom choices, but it all worked out very nicely.

1 hour ago, jwattle said:

We are among those who love the aft, not just for the stunning wake views, but the normal vibrations are soothing to us at night.😀

I do, too.  Also, shielded from the wind on Alaska cruises.

On 6/30/2019 at 6:13 PM, richmke said:

We are underway, and I am sitting in the World Market on Lido deck. The Caribbean Princess has a really bad vibration problem. The silverware basket is rattling and slowly moving across the table. My wife was having a massage, and it felt like they installed vibrating tables.

Don't know if it is an HVAC, propulsion, or other problem.

We were on the the sailing last week also. The vibrations were loud and bothersome, especially in the Palm dining room room in the evening. One night, my grandson had to leave dinner due to the loud vibrations and noise. Hard to have conversations over the noise. Never experienced anything like this on a cruise. 

16 hours ago, jwattle said:

We are among those who love the aft, not just for the stunning wake views, but the normal vibrations are soothing to us at night.😀

and you don't even have to keep quarters available ...:classic_love:

• Like 1

Yup. I was on the same exact cruise. Noticed the same thing on the lido, when I would eat lunch on the side with salty dog. OMG. That vibration drove me nuts. I joked about how I definitely didn't recall putting a quarter in vibration machine while eating lunch. Had to get up to move to the other side of the ship my slice. That dude you didn't feel it. Like you said, same issue inside by the buffet. I remember 5 yrs ago on the Caribbean when it had engine issues. Thought all of this including propellers would have been fixed during the big Reno. Hmmm. 

We have 14 day Caribbean booked over the holidays on CB. Getting very concerned about this! What side a vibrations again? Port or starboard? We are in 2 Caribe balconies in aft section (not directly aft though).

8 minutes ago, nattie said:

We have 14 day Caribbean booked over the holidays on CB. Getting very concerned about this! What side a vibrations again? Port or starboard? We are in 2 Caribe balconies in aft section (not directly aft though).

The vibration was felt on the the starboard side of the ship. But honestly I only felt it up on the lido deck. I had traditional dining down at the palms which was on deck 6 aft. Only when they started the engines and was getting the ship to initially pull out of port you could hear the loud thrusters. Otherwise very smooth sailing.

We spent 10 nights on the CB in January of this year. Had dining booked in the aft dining room and insisted on being switched after one dinner there. The vibration problem was terrible and we noticed it was almost as bad the one time we ate in the Planks/Steamer section of the Lido. Fortunately we were in a Lido forward cabin as we couldn't imagine  having to endure that overnight as well. 

I was sure that the April dry dock was going to fix the problem. Guess we'll swear off the Caribbean Princess for the foreseeable future. 

Edited by canadarocks