Private Tour

scjordan2016

Hi there cruising on the Harmony in October and am wanting to arrange a  Private tour company to go see the sloths on ( Roatan ) and a few other things so wondering is there any one good that someone can recommend

Thanks 

I would recommend Rony's. We ❤️ them. We had a driver from Rony's last time we were in Roatan and we went to Daniel Johnson's first to see the sloths. We beat the cruise crowd there and everywhere we went. I will definitely use Rony's every time we go back. He's the #2 guide in Roatan. 

I recommend Cleve. Check him out on the trip site that advises. We were the second group to the sloths and monkeys so had no wait. He told us so much about the history and culture.  He also arranged a ride through the mangroves in a small boat.  He took us to the iguana farm too. His personality was great.  Our group was 11 people.  He charged $70 per person.  This included a stop for pastelitos and donuts.

AE5F58D7-F0E5-4350-BC93-F00EBE8751A9.jpeg

D2AE5F0E-572B-4605-8C94-0D2A0B52A278.jpeg

4322787A-8D67-4D1A-B235-FE1BA136B189.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I also suggest Rony.  I used him as a solo cruiser and not only the price reasonable, got to build a tour the way I wanted to.  From shopping local for coffee and salad bowl set (a lot cheaper and nicer than in port), to going to a Garifuna woodcraft shop learning about his works and buying to see condos and hotels for an island vacation.  Highlight was local lunch  

I wish on my recent stop there I used him again

For those of you that have used Rony before, is this normal? I put in a request for a private tour on his website, and they just sent me a confirmation e-mail that told me how to find them. No deposit and nothing really specific about my selections.

Just seemed odd to me.

8 hours ago, OSUZorba said:

For those of you that have used Rony before, is this normal? I put in a request for a private tour on his website, and they just sent me a confirmation e-mail that told me how to find them. No deposit and nothing really specific about my selections.

Just seemed odd to me.

Yes.  That's the way I booked him for DW's "girls cruise" this past spring.  Which unfortunately got cancelled by weather preventing the ship from docking.  You pay when you depart the tour.  Bring a copy of your request and the confirm email with you.  It will help the driver.   But you can email Rony and double check he has the details.

• Thanks 1

My friend and I will be visiting Roatan in October and are planning on taking a private tour.  We definitely want to see the monkeys and sloths and learn about the island's history and culture.  What other activities would you suggest?  Is there anything that is a must-do while we're there??  Any info'd be appreciated.

thanks!

18 minutes ago, * Angela * said:

My friend and I will be visiting Roatan in October and are planning on taking a private tour.  We definitely want to see the monkeys and sloths and learn about the island's history and culture.  What other activities would you suggest?  Is there anything that is a must-do while we're there??  Any info'd be appreciated.

thanks!

Well, the "must do" is snorkeling if that interests you and your friend.  Otherwise, there's a small cameo factory on the island.  And cigar makers, but you can see that at the port if the guys are there.   Fantastic wooden bowls and ornaments at a shop in Coxen Hole. Easy to walk to from that port but you might make it a part of a tour if coming from Mahogany Bay.  And there's a craft brewery in West End.  :classic_smile:   Lots of people find visiting schools or orphanages enlightening. 

• 1 month later...

We’re currently on Allure & found out last night our cruise will be extended to Wednesday thanks to Hurricane Dorian.  This morning we got our new itinerary so we are now porting in Roatan tomorrow then Costa Maya the next day. Would we be able to get a last minute tour with Rony for 2?  Also looking for suggestions what to do. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fatcattravel said:

Interested in doing a tour with little French key and the sloths ! Has anyone combined these two and is there enough time in port?

I believe Rony's Tours can do that or offer that.  You could also contact LFK and see if you can arrange that with Daniels, say LFK transportation to LFK and then a taxi to Daniel's and back.

Ship time in port depends on ship and which Roatan port you dock at.  Mahogany Bay is closer to both thus less travel time, but ship may leave in mid afternoon.  Also depends on the times Daniels is open.

• 4 weeks later...

I just went on a tour with Rony. He was fantastic!  We knew we wanted to hold the sloths so we went to Manawakie Park and it was amazing!  He gave us a full tour of the island and we had a great day. Highly Recommend!

Are sloths native to Roatan island? If not, how did they get there and where did they come from? How long do they thrive, or even live, in captivity? I thought they are nocturnal (active at night) animals?

something to think about 

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2018/12/22-wild-animals-rescued-from-tourism-trade-on-amazon-river/

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2019/06/global-wildlife-tourism-social-media-causes-animal-suffering/

The 2nd NatGeo article really got me to thinking about something I was vaguely uncomfortable with, but the first one made me change my plans for my upcoming stop in Roatan.

• 3 weeks later...

good point, cold cruiser.  i just assumed they are native to roatan, but yep...how they are treated is weighing heavy on my mind.  any thoughts out there?  off to research this topic....we WERE thinking of visiting the sloths, but now that i am thinking about it i wonder how humane this really is.