Royal loyal trying Celebrity- questions!

Mollypuss

Hello- Did a quick search but not seeing what I am looking for. We have been Royal Caribbean cruisers for 20 years and our last 4 have been on the Oasis class ships. After lots of back and forth, we booked the Edge for spring break 2020. It was a bit more cost wise than Symphony of the Seas but is leaving from Ft Lauderdale, which we love, and the itinerary is much more appealing. It will be my husband, myself, our 16 year old daughter and her friend. We have side by side ocean view cabins. We just booked a Med cruise on Celebrity for next summer so we went without balconies to save money.

I know nothing about Celebrity other than we are Diamond on Royal and it transferred over. Went with the drink package and OBC perks. My favorite activity is sitting poolside with a book and cocktail. I used all the “fun” activities the first time on the big ships then never used them again...i.e. rock climbing, zip line, putt putt. The big ships are great but if we don’t use the extras then what’s the point? Will the teenagers be disappointed? They love fine dining so looking forward to a new experience.

Biggest questions:

What venues are complimentary?

Are there a variety of shows? Comedian? Musical type?

Love trivia, does Celebrity offer this?

For those that have cruised both lines, what are the biggest differences you notice?

Thank you for the help!

Have not done the Edge but normally cruise rccl and did a few celebrity recently, biggest two things is entertainment is way better on rccl and buffet is way better on celebrity. Celebrity gives you a glass of sparkling wine when you board which is a good way to start a cruise. 

Read this thread for answers about the experience in general.  Edge is the new ship so has some differences than the older ones but Celebrity in general is much more laid back & quiet than Royal.

Here's a thread about kids & teens programs on Edge.  Look for any post by that OP--she's the expert on Edge and will likely have covered anything and everything you can think to ask about it.

Pinnacle here. More elegant ships, few children, better food and service, more laid back atmosphere, and no hurry up to do something are  winners for us. Complimentary food  depends on the ship and Edge may have more than some of the others. But all have the dining room and buffet, the Mast Grill for burgers and dogs, and the sweets at Cafe Al Baccio. You do have to buy the coffees there, but with a drink package no worries. There is a Spa Cafe in the solarium.  Room service is no charge except from midnight to 5 or 6 AM, so that's a nice change from RCI.  Also, pizza , ice cream and salad bar are all available in the buffet until about 1 AM. There is generally live music all over the ship in the evenings. Yes, there is trivia. Shows are OK but not anything like RCI's shows. There will be guest performers and usually that includes a comedian.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, George C said:

Have not done the Edge but normally cruise rccl and did a few celebrity recently, biggest two things is entertainment is way better on rccl and buffet is way better on celebrity. Celebrity gives you a glass of sparkling wine when you board which is a good way to start a cruise. 

EDGE  is in a Class of its own.  We disliked the Oasis ( too big, impersonal, and too many lines for events, disappointing food, ) but  we very much enjoyed  the EDGE ...going back soon

Excellent food and service...has the 4 mdr system..if you are select dining,   I suggest you make your res sooner rather than later. We were AQ class and ate in BLU  and did not do specialty dining.

The EDEN space is amazing, has a great  deli style cafe for lunch and  breakfast and an avant garde show a few nights each week.  The EDEN  buffet is really  very nice...high ceilings, lots of space, very good selection.

We enjoyed the Solarium, amazing spa and  some  of the  shows.  Nice music spread out...Activities are held day and evening in the Club...they have 2 types of trivia, hi tech and classic.  Fun white night deck party..awesome dj.

Ship has some  indoor acoustic issues in the Martini bar area, and  shade and wind issues outdoors..

Overall, you and your dtr and friend should have a great time,,, I think ages will skew younger over Spring Break,

4 hours ago, hcat said:

EDGE  is in a Class of its own.  We disliked the Oasis ( too big, impersonal, and too many lines for events, disappointing food, ) but  we very much enjoyed  the

The EDEN space is amazing, has a great  deli style cafe for lunch and  breakfast and an avant garde show a few nights each week.  The EDEN  buffet is really  very nice...high ceilings, lots of space, very good selection.

The deli style cafe in Eden is open at breakfast and lunch and is complimentary. The dinner in the evening in Eden is an extra charge.  The buffet is called the Oceanview Cafe and isn’t a part of Eden, but as hcat said a very good selection and is a open airy space.

I've been on Oasis and Allure and enjoyed them for the variety of distinct areas and the great entertainment. I didn't like that we had to pre-book the entertainment and then have less flexibility once onboard. I agree with you about the one and done for many things. The Edge has a lot of different types of entertainment (though I enjoyed the choices on RCI) - it is nice to be able to choose what you want to do onboard. As others have said, the adult atmosphere is a plus for us. It may be for the teens as well - there won't be as many little kids around as on RCI - they may enjoy the more adult atmosphere.

There is a lot happening on this ship and you can stay busy all day/night or do nothing. During the day, there is a lap pool, ping pong, pool volleyball, games with the crew, an interesting walking/running track, dance lessons, art lessons, electronic and paper trivia, archery, laser maze, drone racing, Rooftop games, Timeplay, Table Maze, Social Corner, lectures, technology classes and much more. Or you can sit by the pool or in the adult solarium with your book and cocktail. 🙂

The theater has 7 and 9 o'clock shows each night (usually same show so all can see, whether early or late dining seating). There are production shows that are done on the amazing high tech stage - some young resident performers who are talented singers, guest musicians, comedians, etc. Other choices for things to do at night might include Band Karaoke, Silent Disco, Video Dancing, Hypno, Live Music, Dancing, Live Talk Show, Andromeda, Greenroom, Soundbooth and Game Night at The Club, Edenist show in Eden, live music/dancing in the Grand Plaza/Martini Bar, Movies in the Rooftop Garden, cocktails on the Magic Carpet and Pool Parties with a DJ. 

With the beverage package you (and the teens) will probably love going to Cafe al Bacio and having coffee or other beverages and free pastries in the AM and cookies or other desserts (some of the best on the ship and free) in afternoon or evening. It's a pretty place to hang out.

The buffet has choices of pizza, salad bar, sandwiches, hot dishes, stir fry, roasts cut to order, tons of desserts. There is great free ice cream in the buffet - lots of choices. There is also a grill by the pool for hamburgers, veggie burgers, hot dogs, french fries, etc. There is for fee gelato, which you will get one free scoop for being Elite.

Eden is a great place to chill during the day - tons of nooks and crannies to have your own quiet space. They have a great bar there and the view of the aft is breath-taking. As others said, Eden Cafe is nice - another great place to grab beverages (complimentary coffee, tea, lemonade, iced tea, water, apple juice) and some great food and desserts (the brownies are to die for) - they also have breakfast on sea days. There are two outside areas port and starboard next to Eden to sit and read, eat, drink and relax. There are more activities there in the afternoon and usually live music or the Eden show (very interesting) at night.

The Rooftop Garden is also a nice place to chill, if not too windy. That is where the movies or sports are shown and often there is live music on the stage. The Sunset Bar is around the corner.

If you have Select Dining, it will be fun to try all 4 MDRs. You can book ahead or be a walk-in, though reservations are recommended. For specialty restaurants, the Rooftop Garden Grill for lunch is very good (BBQ), if not too windy (such as when in port). Le Petit Chef might be fun for all of you (have dinner while an animated show happens around and on your plate). You can usually book it the first night for 20% off. The other restaurants are good too, if you have the time and money. Le Grand Bistro is great for lunch, with delicious daily specials ($20 PP).

There is an amazing art collection onboard - some very unique pieces throughout the ship. The lighting is beautiful at night. It is a romantic ship when the lights come on at the pool deck at night.

One downside for the ship is the lack of lower end shopping - it is all high end stuff. The girls will likely need to do their shopping in port. The Wi-Fi is excellent onboard. You will get 90 free minutes for being Elite and can purchase packages, if you wish (they can be pricey, but have recently added a surf package that is cheaper).

Have fun planning!

Here is an Edge Entertainment brochure:

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/EDGE/EDGE_Entertainment.pdf

Edited by vtcruising

The EDGE is nothing like Royals Oasis class ships. Oasis class is a lot more fun and far better entertainment. Far better food also. The harmony blows away the EDGE, again my opinion only. The EDGE is NOTHING like other cruise ships at all. Will not cruise on the EDGE again or the APEX coming along. But that is only us. You may love the ship and enjoy the cruise no matter. Happy sailing.

On 7/4/2019 at 2:15 PM, hcat said:

EDGE  is in a Class of its own.  We disliked the Oasis ( too big, impersonal, and too many lines for events, disappointing food, ) but  we very much enjoyed  the EDGE ...going back soon

Excellent food and service...has the 4 mdr system..if you are select dining,   I suggest you make your res sooner rather than later. We were AQ class and ate in BLU  and did not do specialty dining.

We enjoyed the Solarium, amazing spa and  some  of the  shows.  Nice music spread out...Activities are held day and evening in the Club...they have 2 types of trivia, hi tech and classic.  Fun white night deck party..awesome dj.

Ship has some  indoor acoustic issues in the Martini bar area, and  shade and wind issues outdoors..

Overall, you and your dtr and friend should have a great time,,, I think ages will skew younger over Spring Break,

Correction..EDGE buffet.. As mentioned by Jelayne  EDEN is an upcharge dinner venue... sorry ......I do get EDGE abd EDEN  confused sometimes when I post, i will try to be more careful!

Thank you all for the advice and comparisons. It will be a different experience but it sounds like more relaxing and less planning ahead. Looking forward to the dining most of all. Thanks again!

• Like 1

We have sailed on several RCL ships (Allure, Harmony, Freedom) and all of us, including my two sons (ages 10 & 12), actually strongly preferred the Celebrity Reflection.  In our experience, the food was significantly better on Celebrity and they really enjoyed the kids programs on Celebrity.  We did a 10 day cruise in the Med last year and while there were over 200 kids on board, it definitely didn't feel nearly as chaotic as Allure or Harmony.  My overall impression is that Celebrity is nicer but also more laid back - no required formal nights (evening chic instead), not having to have reservations for all of the shows, etc.

We are recent RCCL Diamond and sailed the Edge in early January using our Elite perks. I will try to find my review and post the link — we loved the ship and I mentioned a couple of great nooks and crannies for relaxing, etc. There was lots of trivia and great dance music for us 50-somethings! 

Edited to include the link to my January 2019 review of Edge:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=645590&et_cid=3167165&et_rid=21123509&et_referrer=Boards_Million_Member_Newsub

Edited by Betsynh
Add link