Help with cabin selection on Coral Princess for Alaska cruise

puppymama1

Looking to book an Alaska cruise (Whittier to Vancouver) for June 2020 on Coral Princess and need some help deciding which cabin to choose.. We are splurging for a mini-suite, and our choices are all on deck 9 (Dolphin).  I was looking at Mid-Aft cabins and trying to decide which side of the ship is better - or does it matter?  Based on what is available, it looks like the Port side is better because there are only 5 cabins still available (D610, 608, 606, 602 and 528), while the Starboard side still has 15 cabins available.  Can any more experienced cruisers suggest which one we should pick?  Or is a different part of the ship better?  We just got off Serenade of the Seas for our Baltic cruise and had a middle aft cabin and liked it, which is why I was looking at the same general area for next year's cruise.  Thanks!

Most people want to be closer to land so Port makes sense. In reality - it doesn't matter. I have done b2b and can't really tell the difference. There is always something beautiful to look at.

This should help:

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/Princess/odell/res76zxu/princessbalconies/id4.html

I like to go more aft to be covered. Also close to door to aft of the ship for viewing.

Personally I would select a starboard side cabin as that is usually the side facing the docks in Ketchikan and Skagway.  However on days when you are in Glacier Bay or at Hubbard Glacier I would strongly suggest getting out on the open decks on top of the ship if it's not raining.  You get a much better perspective of the magnificent scenery rather than just a 180 degree from your balcony.

3 minutes ago, TM said:

However on days when you are in Glacier Bay or at Hubbard Glacier I would strongly suggest getting out on the open decks on top of the ship if it's not raining.  You get a much better perspective of the magnificent scenery rather than just a 180 degree from your balcony.

I completely agree! Don't stay on your balcony on glacier days.

Deck 7 is great (Promenade) because it is covered and goes clear around the ship and is never crowded. Everyone goes to the top decks.

9 minutes ago, Coral said:

Most people want to be closer to land so Port makes sense. In reality - it doesn't matter. I have done b2b and can't really tell the difference. There is always something beautiful to look at.

This should help:

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/Princess/odell/res76zxu/princessbalconies/id4.html

I like to go more aft to be covered. Also close to door to aft of the ship for viewing.

It didn't occur to me that the balcony wouldn't be covered... I assumed it would have a balcony above it from the cabin above us on deck 10...  We could get a covered one further aft, I just worry about ship motion too far back because I am very prone to motion sickness.. I put my Seabands on as soon as we get on the ship, and only take them off if we are docked!

5 minutes ago, puppymama1 said:

It didn't occur to me that the balcony wouldn't be covered... I assumed it would have a balcony above it from the cabin above us on deck 10...  We could get a covered one further aft, I just worry about ship motion too far back because I am very prone to motion sickness.. I put my Seabands on as soon as we get on the ship, and only take them off if we are docked!

Some like uncovered balconies - look at these pics to look at a variety of views - this website is actually pretty good so play around with it:

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/Princess/odell/res76zxu/princessbalconies/id6.html  

Only you can decide if you want to be covered or closer to aft.....

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Coral said:

Some like uncovered balconies - look at these pics to look at a variety of views - this website is actually pretty good so play around with it:

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/Princess/odell/res76zxu/princessbalconies/id6.html  

Only you can decide if you want to be covered or closer to aft.....

That's a tough decision, LOL... if it's raining, you would want to be covered... if it's cold and not raining, you would want the sun to make it warmer... 

I would pick a mini-suite on Baja or Caribe toward the front/bow of the ship because:

1) The balconies are covered

2) Easy to go up to the buffet because it is in the front of the ship. Pizza and hamburgers also close by.

3) Easy access to the open deck on the front of Baja and Caribe decks. It is not marked on the deck plans but you can walk out the front on those decks.

I am not sure which side of the ship to select.   The last two times we have been northbound and on starboard. The first trip was southbound on port side.   Maybe next time we should choose the other side to see what we were missing. I recommend getting off your balcony and see everything from all sides of the ship.

57 minutes ago, puppymama1 said:

That's a tough decision, LOL... if it's raining, you would want to be covered... if it's cold and not raining, you would want the sun to make it warmer... 

I always go with covered.

2 hours ago, MickeyandLV said:

I would pick a mini-suite on Baja or Caribe toward the front/bow of the ship because:

1) The balconies are covered

2) Easy to go up to the buffet because it is in the front of the ship. Pizza and hamburgers also close by.

3) Easy access to the open deck on the front of Baja and Caribe decks. It is not marked on the deck plans but you can walk out the front on those decks.

I am not sure which side of the ship to select.   The last two times we have been northbound and on starboard. The first trip was southbound on port side.   Maybe next time we should choose the other side to see what we were missing. I recommend getting off your balcony and see everything from all sides of the ship.

Forward 6 Baja mini's on both sides of the ship with balconies are not covered.

See this site for details....

11 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Forward 6 Baja mini's on both sides of the ship with balconies are not covered.

See this site for details....

Thank you for correcting me.  I guess we were in a balcony cabin not mini-suite on the cruise we were on Baja.  We were in a mini-suite on Caribe.

We always reserve a covered mini-suite (especially on Alaska cruises where the weather can be variable).  The aft Dolphin mini-suites on the Coral Princess (series D7XX) are great and are the lowest priced category of minis.  There is a public viewing area across the aft of the ship that is usually empty since no one not staying in one of the cabins even ventures down the hallway.  You are two decks away from the Promenade deck as noted above.  Should you have the need (and/or desire!) to do laundry, the self service laundry is located on the starboard hallway (never heard any noise from it).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, capriccio said:

We always reserve a covered mini-suite (especially on Alaska cruises where the weather can be variable).  The aft Dolphin mini-suites on the Coral Princess (series D7XX) are great and are the lowest priced category of minis.  There is a public viewing area across the aft of the ship that is usually empty since no one not staying in one of the cabins even ventures down the hallway.  You are two decks away from the Promenade deck as noted above.  Should you have the need (and/or desire!) to do laundry, the self service laundry is located on the starboard hallway (never heard any noise from it).

This would be my plan also. Just realize the last one on either side is not covered.

I do love the aft viewing area and also go to Promenade.

31 minutes ago, MickeyandLV said:

Thank you for correcting me.  I guess we were in a balcony cabin not mini-suite on the cruise we were on Baja.  We were in a mini-suite on Caribe.

👍

These cabins are unique as there are no cabins above to provide cover.

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

Would there be more motion in the D7XX cabins than in the D610 or D608 cabins?  I just worry that my Seabands and Dramamine wouldn't work as well as they do closer to the center of the ship... I think you have convinced us that we want a covered balcony!  Thanks!

20 minutes ago, puppymama1 said:

Would there be more motion in the D7XX cabins than in the D610 or D608 cabins?  I just worry that my Seabands and Dramamine wouldn't work as well as they do closer to the center of the ship... I think you have convinced us that we want a covered balcony!  Thanks!

I can't remember ever needing my sea bands (have never used Dramamine) on a Coral or Island Princess (sister ship) cruise but we reserve those mini-suites on all our cruises.  I've used sea bands twice - in a tropical storm between Charleston SC and Fort Lauderdale on the Ruby Princess and in high seas and winds rounding Cape Horn on the Crown Princess.  In both those cases I was not alone - just about everyone on the ships was taking some kind of precaution!

4 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I can't remember ever needing my sea bands (have never used Dramamine) on a Coral or Island Princess (sister ship) cruise but we reserve those mini-suites on all our cruises.  I've used sea bands twice - in a tropical storm between Charleston SC and Fort Lauderdale on the Ruby Princess and in high seas and winds rounding Cape Horn on the Crown Princess.  In both those cases I was not alone - just about everyone on the ships was taking some kind of precaution!

Thanks capriccio!  We will book one of those D7XX cabins.. next question - is one side of the ship better than the other or doesn't it matter?  

Just now, puppymama1 said:

Thanks capriccio!  We will book one of those D7XX cabins.. next question - is one side of the ship better than the other or doesn't it matter?  

We've done Alaska on both sides and it is all magical!  As Coral says, just avoid the last cabin on each side since they are not covered.

2 minutes ago, capriccio said:

We've done Alaska on both sides and it is all magical!  As Coral says, just avoid the last cabin on each side since they are not covered.

Thank you Coral and capriccio!  Now we just have to decide whether to go on June 10 or June 24, and whether to do our Denali trip (on our own) before the cruise or after the cruise!

3 hours ago, puppymama1 said:

Supposedly the side facing the land but I don't think that is true as I have done B2B and had beautiful scenery on both trips. So Port going SB but I wouldn't worry if you can't get it.

3 minutes ago, Coral said:

Supposedly the side facing the land but I don't think that is true as I have done B2B and had beautiful scenery on both trips. So Port going SB but I wouldn't worry if you can't get it.

Thanks, Coral... that must be why there are more cabins booked on the Port side than on the Starboard side... We will go with Port.. but I'm sure it won't matter....

20 hours ago, puppymama1 said:

Looking to book an Alaska cruise (Whittier to Vancouver) for June 2020 on Coral Princess and need some help deciding which cabin to choose.. We are splurging for a mini-suite, and our choices are all on deck 9 (Dolphin).  I was looking at Mid-Aft cabins and trying to decide which side of the ship is better - or does it matter?  Based on what is available, it looks like the Port side is better because there are only 5 cabins still available (D610, 608, 606, 602 and 528), while the Starboard side still has 15 cabins available.  Can any more experienced cruisers suggest which one we should pick?  Or is a different part of the ship better?  We just got off Serenade of the Seas for our Baltic cruise and had a middle aft cabin and liked it, which is why I was looking at the same general area for next year's cruise.  Thanks!

Just now, puppymama1 said:

Thanks, Coral... that must be why there are more cabins booked on the Port side than on the Starboard side... We will go with Port.. but I'm sure it won't matter....

Does it really make a difference if you are in a port or starboard suite?   The best views are out on the decks.