Babies & Pools on Adventure of the Seas

Hi All,

Going on Adventure of the Seas with my family in 18 days and I read that babies are not allowed in the big pools? I have a 15 month old and she loves the pool and water. Is it true I am not allowed to bring her in the pools with me on the ship (Not including the solarium pool). Also, does anyone know if this ship offers the babysitting program? I read that some ships offer it and I am not sure if this one does. Thanks so much!

There is a baby splash area dedicated for children with swim diapers.  Children with swim diapers are not allowed in any other pool.

I believe the in-stateroom babysitting has been discontinued on Royal.

• Like 1

Babies are not permitted in any pools on any ship. Some ships have small splash areas for the diapered set, usually the newer, bigger ships. Not sure if Adventure has added one. 

• Like 1

If your 15 month old is totally potty trained, then you can use the pool.  If not, then it's the "splash zone" only...IF that ship has it. Otherwise, you can bring a blow up tub, for splashing.  Empty into a floor or shower drain....NOT onto the deck or into the pool!

Ship's pools aren't like land-based pools, and any fecal material in the pool (whether it's contained in a swim diaper or not) will contaminate the pool.

I think your only "babysitting" option is to use the nursery.  They do age-appropriate activities!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruisenlove said:

SORRY, She is not Potty trained yet. She is still in diapers...

Then she will be limited to the baby splash area.  Starboard side of the main pool deck.

• Thanks 1

Hi -

It is my understanding that children in diapers are not permitted in any public pool by the Health regulations as a general rule.  Therefore, it is not surprising that cruise ships would follow the same standards especially since they are so closely regulated by local health officials.  As a Mom of 6,  I fail to understand why you would want your little one in a pool that is so overly chlorinated in an effort by the cruise lines to limit the number of e-coli bacteria contaminating the water as well as other more dangerous bacteria that can come from fecal contamination of water sources. 

FYI - there are others using the pool that although adults, may have some incontinence issues or, not have the best personal hygiene practices as well as youngsters who will also contaminate the pool water.  As a longtime cruiser, I have personally seen cruise personnel having to close the pools due to youngsters and intolerable levels of fecal contamination that took place while kids were swimming/playing in the adult pools. 

So my advice, enjoy your cruise and take your baby to enjoy the beach on all those beautiful beaches that you will be visiting while cruising.

Happy cruising,

Chiquita

8 hours ago, chiquita cruiser said:

It is my understanding that children in diapers are not permitted in any public pool by the Health regulations as a general rule.

This is not correct, and varies from state to state and city to city, as local codes vary.  For instance, the Maine state pool code allows non-potty trained infants in public pools with rubber pants over the swim diaper.

Therefore, it is not surprising that cruise ships would follow the same standards especially since they are so closely regulated by local health officials.

Cruise ships are not regulated by local health officials, but by the national CDC via their Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP), which holds cruise ships to much higher standards than state and local codes.  CDC did a study of land public pools a few years ago, and found that if those pools were held to CDC standards, nearly 2/3 of them would be in violation and many would be subject to immediate closure.  They also found that those areas in public pools that were specifically designated for swim diapers, had about an 80% failure rate to meet CDC standards.

As a Mom of 6,  I fail to understand why you would want your little one in a pool that is so overly chlorinated in an effort by the cruise lines to limit the number of e-coli bacteria contaminating the water as well as other more dangerous bacteria that can come from fecal contamination of water sources. 

The higher chlorine levels are not an "effort by the cruise line", but mandated by the CDC.  Many first time cruisers are not aware that ship's pools are maintained at higher chlorine levels than land public or private pools.

FYI - there are others using the pool that although adults, may have some incontinence issues or, not have the best personal hygiene practices as well as youngsters who will also contaminate the pool water.

And, chlorine, at the levels mandated by the CDC, do very well in controlling any issues from urine in pool water.

For the OP, the swim diaper splash area is specifically designed to meet CDC requirements for use by non-potty trained kids.  The water supply is separate from any other water feature, the "turn over rate" or how many times an hour the water is filtered is higher, there is an added ultra-violet sterilizer that the water passes through in its filtration, and there will be a full time crew member stationed to monitor the area.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

12 hours ago, James4me said:

Wow!  Such nasty responses😡.   Geez the OP only asked a legit question regarding her infant, no need to make them feel like 🤬

Did not see any. I thought everyone answered her questions. IMO

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, cruisenlove said:

Hi All,

Going on Adventure of the Seas with my family in 18 days and I read that babies are not allowed in the big pools? I have a 15 month old and she loves the pool and water. Is it true I am not allowed to bring her in the pools with me on the ship (Not including the solarium pool). Also, does anyone know if this ship offers the babysitting program? I read that some ships offer it and I am not sure if this one does. Thanks so much!

That is a health law becasue of e coli. The cruise line could be fined if they allowed that. However, Disney cruise line has  a splash  area for children not yet potty trained. I just got off MSC Armonia and they had that too.  I am not sure if their other ships have that, but I am sure at some point all family friendly  cruise lines will have them. Perhaps you can check and see if Royal Caribbean has any ships with that and if need be switch cruises.

8 minutes ago, momofmeg said:

That is a health law becasue of e coli. The cruise line could be fined if they allowed that. However, Disney cruise line has  a splash  area for children not yet potty trained. I just got off MSC Armonia and they had that too.  I am not sure if their other ships have that, but I am sure at some point all family friendly  cruise lines will have them. Perhaps you can check and see if Royal Caribbean has any ships with that and if need be switch cruises.

The OP cruises in 18 DAYS. A bit late to change cruises don’t you think?  In any event, there will be a splash zone for the baby and no cruise line has an actual pool that will permit a child who is not potty trained. 

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

This is not correct, and varies from state to state and city to city, as local codes vary.  For instance, the Maine state pool code allows non-potty trained infants in public pools with rubber pants over the swim diaper.

Cruise ships are not regulated by local health officials, but by the national CDC via their Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP), which holds cruise ships to much higher standards than state and local codes.  CDC did a study of land public pools a few years ago, and found that if those pools were held to CDC standards, nearly 2/3 of them would be in violation and many would be subject to immediate closure.  They also found that those areas in public pools that were specifically designated for swim diapers, had about an 80% failure rate to meet CDC standards.

The higher chlorine levels are not an "effort by the cruise line", but mandated by the CDC.  Many first time cruisers are not aware that ship's pools are maintained at higher chlorine levels than land public or private pools.

And, chlorine, at the levels mandated by the CDC, do very well in controlling any issues from urine in pool water.

For the OP, the swim diaper splash area is specifically designed to meet CDC requirements for use by non-potty trained kids.  The water supply is separate from any other water feature, the "turn over rate" or how many times an hour the water is filtered is higher, there is an added ultra-violet sterilizer that the water passes through in its filtration, and there will be a full time crew member stationed to monitor the area.

Maybe true but I know here in Atlanta at White Water about half a dozen children died from e coli about 15-20 years ago because a parent allowed their child with diarrhea to get in the kiddie pool.  Google it, you will find it. One child was  the child of one of the Atlanta Braves players at the time. He lived, but was very ill. After that  they put in those regulations  and  Georgia passed some laws about it too; of course sadly  it was too late for those 6 children . White Water went bankrupt because of the law suits, but Six Flags bought it and reopened it with a great kid's area,  a great huge splash  area where the water runs off.

Anyway I imagine cruise lines may have those regulations for fear of lawsuits if something like what happened at White Water happened and several children died. 

But you give a good point about there could be regulations about a proper  waterproof covering over their swim pants.  I know on youtube I saw this story about this poor little girl they called the mermaid girl (her legs were fused) and what they did so she could get in a pool (she had a colostomy) was get a suit like a scuba dive suit made for her. So there may be something online she could order for her child. Personally I think it needs to be something more air tight than rubber pants.

BTW I also think it you are elderly and need to wear diapers or some sort of protection

you should not use the pools either  I doubt they would police that so we should police ourselves if we have issues. 

13 minutes ago, gerif said:

The OP cruises in 18 DAYS. A bit late to change cruises don’t you think?  In any event, there will be a splash zone for the baby and no cruise line has an actual pool that will permit a child who is not potty trained. 

Well the OP should have already asked  this then.  I am glad to know they have a splash area. I figured they would. Most family friendly cruise lines would have this I would think. Especially after what happened in Atlanta at White Water.

Edited by momofmeg

1 hour ago, momofmeg said:

Anyway I imagine cruise lines may have those regulations for fear of lawsuits if something like what happened at White Water happened and several children died. 

This is not something the cruise lines choose to do for fear of litigation.  It is mandated by the Federal government.

And, in fact, rubber pants over a diaper are no different than a swim diaper, no better protection, and CDC does not allow this on cruise ships.

I would suspect that, unlike a cruise ship, which must drain and refill their pools at least once a week, that the water park you mention, never changed out the water, so that in itself is a far larger invitation to breeding massive amounts of bacteria than what ships face.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@cruisenlove sorry to hijack a bit - Anyone with diarrhea should NOT enter a public pool or hot tub. I would also encourage them not to enter private ones as well. I was a lifeguard and pool manager for years. Even in a WELL maintained facility, a microscopic amount of infected fecal matter can contaminate an entire pool/tub and make others sick if they happen to swallow the water. Most facilities have a sign indicating this. However, most people put their personal gratification ahead of the safety of others.

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 9

34 minutes ago, momofmeg said:

Well the OP should have already asked  this then.  I am glad to know they have a splash area. I figured they would. Most family friendly cruise lines would have this I would think. Especially after what happened in Atlanta at White Water.

Actually only a small fraction have these areas, DCL, some RCCL and MSC.

15 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Actually only a small fraction have these areas, DCL, some RCCL and MSC.

That's a shame, perhaps the new ships will all have these from now on, they should if they want to attract families. 

Years ago  after that  happened at White water, I read where a couple brought on one of those small blow up pools which they filled up at the shower on the pool deck and emptied it there after they were done.   Perhaps older ships should offer those for parents with smaller children.

Edited by momofmeg

17 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

So many on here can’t stand kids even though they were one once. 

If that is true why are they cruising Royal Caribbean which is a family friendly line?

No, it is more about people being rude and opinionated and feeling anonymous on the internet.