Southampton - Hamburg short cruises

Horn Blast

Firstly I would like to introduce myself, I am Horn Blast I am from the UK, aged early to mid 30's and single. I have an interest in cursing and would like to do many in the future but I am single the moment so it is not really possible. I love travelling but despise flying and will always sail or take any alternative than flying when possible. I have used a lot of UK ferry routes over the last few years.

Next year I plan to travel around Europe and I have been looking at short cruises that would link me to the continent. I have come across the 2 day Southampton - Hamburg Cunsrd Queen Mary 2 cruises (but not taking the return flight) which would be ideal. As I am travelling alone I plan to spend most of my time in cabin (with balcony) or on deck, I am not interested in using restaurants or going to shows etc and plan to use room service for food - however, I have some questions I would like to ask:

(1) Is it advisable to use the cruise as means of getting from point A - B as I plan to travel around Europe from Hamburg. Is this a good idea and do people do this. Would I stand out from others.

(2) I would want to wear formal clothing as I don't plan to attend formal events or restaurants - would smart casual clothing - ie/ Ralph Lauren t-shirt, sweater, jeans, Nike trainers be appropriate for wandering around informal parts of the ship or on deck be appropriate?

Are there any other cruise lines that offer anything similar. I can not find anything other than the Cunard offering, I do recall MSC offering something similar to Ijmuiden, Netherlands a few years back.

Any help would be appreciated, 

Thankyou,

Horn Blast.

My impression is that a number of people use the Soton to Hamburg service (and vice versa) in effect as a ferry.  For instance on our longer cruise which included two of these sectors, in the restaurant, on the table on one side was a German solo traveller  using it to get to the Motor Museum at Beaulieu, on the other a couple on their way to a few days in a country house hotel in Surrey. 

So I don't think you will be unusual. I wouldn't hide from the restaurants though, you might meet other interesting onward travellers.

Jane

• Thanks 1

The night before arrival in both Hamburg and Southampton was a Formal night on the Soton-Hamburg legs of my recent crossings. There is a more relaxed dress code for the buffets and two or three bars on any night so you don't have to confine yourself to your room.

Aren't there actual ferries between the UK and the Continent, at least to France, Belgium and the Netherlands? It seems that it would be faster, cheaper, and less hassle to do that if your intent really is to use QM2 as a ferry to Hamburg.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Aren't there actual ferries between the UK and the Continent, at least to France, Belgium and the Netherlands? It seems that it would be faster, cheaper, and less hassle to do that if your intent really is to use QM2 as a ferry to Hamburg.

Lots of ferries, though none to Germany. And none of them is the QM2.. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

My impression is that a number of people use the Soton to Hamburg service (and vice versa) in effect as a ferry.  For instance on our longer cruise which included two of these sectors, in the restaurant, on the table on one side was a German solo traveller  using it to get to the Motor Museum at Beaulieu, on the other a couple on their way to a few days in a country house hotel in Surrey. 

So I don't think you will be unusual. I wouldn't hide from the restaurants though, you might meet other interesting onward travellers.

Jane

This is exactly it - I will the using the vessel as a ferry, but my concern is that maybe I would look odd amongst other travellers.

I am not that fussed about dining in the restaurants as it is not really something I prefer informal eating. Thanks for your help.

17 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

The night before arrival in both Hamburg and Southampton was a Formal night on the Soton-Hamburg legs of my recent crossings. There is a more relaxed dress code for the buffets and two or three bars on any night so you don't have to confine yourself to your room.

Hi thanks for your help. Would jeans, smart weater/jumper, nike trainers be appropriate in informal areas though?

I was initially looking at travelling to the continent by ferry but saw this as a unique opportunity to travel in style directly to where I need to be (northern Germany.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Horn Blast said:

Firstly I would like to introduce myself, I am Horn Blast I am from the UK, aged early to mid 30's and single. I have an interest in cursing and would like to do many in the future but I am single the moment so it is not really possible.

Do you think you can fit in my experience of Cunard is that most people are very polite and accommodating.

Regards John

• Like 1

Usually they don´t do formal nights on the 2 nighters. We didn´t have one.

Anyway I had a lady from the US moving to Berlin. So she used the QM2 as a ferry from NYC to Hamburg and moved on with her dogs by train.

steamboats

38 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Usually they don´t do formal nights on the 2 nighters. We didn´t have one.

Anyway I had a lady from the US moving to Berlin. So she used the QM2 as a ferry from NYC to Hamburg and moved on with her dogs by train.

steamboats

There was a formal night on each of the two two nighters that made up parts of my recent cruise. So it's hard to generalise.

Unless you book early, to take advantage of a low priced stateroom, I think you will find that using QM2 as a ferry is a very expensive trip, especially as you say you will spend most of the time in your stateroom.  Perhaps First Class (or what ever they call their top service now  on the Eurostar would be a better way to spend your money and a whole lot cheaper. By the way in looking at the voyage finder for 2020, I didn't find any two day voyages from Southampton to Hamburg. Just one four day round trip. There may be others, but I would guess they are sold out already which is why they don't appear. 

Hi - there are quite a few 2 day cruises from Southampton to Hamburg in 2020!  I'm based in the UK but tend to use a German website.  There I find cheaper prices and lower deposits.  Added to that, the final payment date tends to be the month before.  On the UK website its around 15 weeks for final payment!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well firstly I would like to say a huge thanks for the response I have had for my first post on this outstanding and lively forum, everyone contributions and advice has been very much appreciated.

I was swaying to possibly not bother doing this cruise, but I am confident now that it would be a good idea for me. Although I will not be booking any time soon as I need to save and book time off work, it will be very much in my mind and I hope to book early 2020.

I will keep everyone up to date as to if/when I decide book the cruise. I will, of course, be looking at other options but this does seem like the best way to experience a short 'mini-cruise' to the continent.

Many thanks,

HB.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We have been on this segment before.  It's a great way to travel from the UK to the Continent.  However I encourage you to take advantage of all the that QM2 has to offer, including the Britannia restaurant.  There will be one formal night and you can enjoy this wearing a black jacket, black slacks, white shirt and tie.  You can wear these clothes while touring the continent (probably not the tie).  On the other night you can dress informally.  If you don't want to pack the dark clothes, you can wear whatever you want in the buffet, but there will be few other place for you to wander in the evening.  It's a beautiful ship and if you pay the fare, you should try to take advantage of all of the features.