distinctive voyage

summer slope

9 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Which cruise is it? Normally it means that there will be a host, cocktail receptions etc..

February 15, out of FTL through the Panama Canal to San Diego.  What does the Host do?

Edited by summer slope

32 minutes ago, summer slope said:

February 15, out of FTL through the Panama Canal to San Diego.  What does the Host do?

I see that the Eurodam does that on Feb 16, but it does not specify that it's a distinctive voyage. So, it could mean that your TA has a large group together that does that, in that case there will be a host who will do coffee chats in the morning in a designated area, and discuss possible tours, he/she will also host cocktail parties in the explorer lounge or other areas..

Yes, likely not a HAL "distinctive voyage" but a TA group cruise with special events for those who book with that Travel Agent, similar to a *** (auto club) concierge cruise where a block of rooms and events are organized/reserved for those booking with that TA.

We were once on a distinctive voyage, which the travel agency coordinated in conjunction with dozens of other agencies.  The host had a cocktail party, manned a desk for several hours each day to answer questions for those "registered passengers", and we received a free shore excursion not offered by the ship.  I recall that we had to sign up before leaving home for this excursion, so we did.  It was limited to 16 people and provided one of the most memorable days.  After driving around the island, we went to a lovely villa with gorgeous gardens for a private lunch.  The gentleman who owned the property hosted our group.  On the last night of the cruise, we had a farewell party with free drinks and snacks before dinner.

If you have a chance to join a "distinctive voyage group," do so, especially if they offer a free shore excursion.  Sign up for it as soon as you can, particularly if it limits the number of passengers who can participate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

We were once on a distinctive voyage, which the travel agency coordinated in conjunction with dozens of other agencies.  The host had a cocktail party, manned a desk for several hours each day to answer questions for those "registered passengers", and we received a free shore excursion not offered by the ship.  I recall that we had to sign up before leaving home for this excursion, so we did.  It was limited to 16 people and provided one of the most memorable days.  After driving around the island, we went to a lovely villa with gorgeous gardens for a private lunch.  The gentleman who owned the property hosted our group.  On the last night of the cruise, we had a farewell party with free drinks and snacks before dinner.

If you have a chance to join a "distinctive voyage group," do so, especially if they offer a free shore excursion.  Sign up for it as soon as you can, particularly if it limits the number of passengers who can participate.

My "distinctive voyage" last winter was as you describe it. Not a HAL thing, but some kind of service my TA belongs to. We didn't have to sign up for the tour, we were just given the info in a packet delivered on embarkation day. Lots of people at the cocktail party, but about half of them didn't show up for the tour because they'd booked other things or weren't interested in the tour. We had a nice tour on St Martin--a boat ride with plenty of rum punch and a drive around the island. 

I can't find that "distinctive voyage" term on the HAL site, so it must be a TA thing. We once took a hosted TA group tour of about 15 people that had a private dinner on shore before the cruise, a couple of private excursions, and a private lunch in the PG. It was nice, but not worth the extra money IMO.

12 minutes ago, catl331 said:

I can't find that "distinctive voyage" term on the HAL site, so it must be a TA thing. We once took a hosted TA group tour of about 15 people that had a private dinner on shore before the cruise, a couple of private excursions, and a private lunch in the PG. It was nice, but not worth the extra money IMO.

There was no charge for my distinctive voyage tour. It's something the agency I use belongs to. My TA always checks to see if there's anything for my cruise when I book. There usually isn't, but if there is she signs me up. 

22 hours ago, summer slope said:

Yes, Ft. Lauderdale....Eurodam.  Thank you Sir PMP

If you've never done the canal, you want to get up early the day of the approach, it's a great experience, and make sure you eat a Panama roll..

1 hour ago, Sir PMP said:

If you've never done the canal, you want to get up early the day of the approach, it's a great experience, and make sure you eat a Panama roll..

This will be our 5th time through the canal.  One of my all time favorites cruises.  😀