Is onboard credit a thing of the past?

27 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

There’s just two of us, in a condo, and our only big purchases are cruises. 

It’s only good for instore or online purchases, which precludes using it for another cruise. 

Soon we’ll be empty nesters so I’m not so sure we’ll continue to go there as often either. But for now it’s only 3 miles away. 

I will take the OBC from the "big box" store in the form of a store card any-day vs a credit to be used on the ship!  In addition to the 2% rebate at the end of the year.  Since the big box retailer makes a 14% margin on what they sell , my $200 credit goes alot farther than it would if I have to use it onboard where who knows how high the margins are on drinks, excursions, store merchandise etc. on ship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sherri914 said:

I'd love to find a TA just to see weigh options, but I've never used one and wouldn't even know where to start?  I don't know anyone personally that I could ask for a reference even.  Nobody in my circle has ever used one.  I don't even know how TA's work.  Do they charge the client?  Are they paid by the cruise lines?  

We have 2 online TA'S that we use. Even if we book directly with the cruise line to get a special promotion we then switch to our TA within a few days.  Price for the cruise is usually exactly the same, a few time it has been a few dollars under the cruise line price.  Ta will give you all the perks the cruise line offers and then add a OBC, specialty dining, pre paid gratuities and one of the TA;S we use gives a limited insurance policy. Our son just booked a Disney cruise through a big box store and received a $250.00 gift card plus the cruise price was $50  under Disney's price. happy cruising. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ATC cruiser said:

They’re from a warehouse club store. You used to get so much OBC depending on the price of your cruise. So if I was going to get $250 OBC, they now give a $250 cash card for the store. It’s a bit cheaper for them to do this, but it’s still $250 in my pocket. It’s not like I’m not going to go shopping at that store again. Also if you’re an executive member the price of the cruise now counts toward the  2% rebate we get every year. Our rebate check more than covers the price of our membership. 

I was under the impression that big box store had cancellation fees, even when you book with refundable deposits.  But others say they don't.  

Edited by Sailor Taylor

2 hours ago, Sherri914 said:

I'd love to find a TA just to see weigh options, but I've never used one and wouldn't even know where to start?  I don't know anyone personally that I could ask for a reference even.  Nobody in my circle has ever used one.  I don't even know how TA's work.  Do they charge the client?  Are they paid by the cruise lines?  

I’m in same boat! No pun intended! Always book direct but looks like with some TA’s they get you same cabin price but offer extra perks like drink package or paid gratituties. Just don’t know who to trust to do good job! 

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

A TA would offer OBC or other perks on top of whatever RCI offers. 

If one could find the right TA, sure, but not many TA's are going to give much for an $1800 booking in any case.

We have booked both ways and we've use different agents for most of the trips I like having a travel agent for the fact that we usually have a big group. that way everybody is taken care of everybody's on the same flight everybody's at dinner at the same time to me it just seems like it's easier to hand it over to somebody . and no there's never been a charge.

It seems like in earlier days of cruising there were many more perks like breakfast on the balcony on board credits surprise berries when you arrived in your cabinet to seems like those things are kind of gone by the wayside.

15 minutes ago, Sailor Taylor said:

I was under the impression that big box store had cancellation fees, even when you book with refundable deposits.  But others say they don't.  

I’ve had to cancel cruises before and never had a cancellation fee. It might depend on the big box that you’re using. 

14 minutes ago, kidless said:

I’m in same boat! No pun intended! Always book direct but looks like with some TA’s they get you same cabin price but offer extra perks like drink package or paid gratituties. Just don’t know who to trust to do good job! 

We have used a travel agent in Orlando, Florida for about 12 years.   Just start googling until you see one that has good reviews then give her or him a call.   Check any agency out with the Better Business Bureau and make sure they are open 7 days a week should you need to contact the agency regarding a price drop, etc.  My agent is the owner of the business but their is always someone to answer the phone and help us.

We have gotten enough OBC via our travel agent over the years to pay for a couple of short, off-season cruises.   When we went to the Galapagos, we each got $500 back after the trip.

Edited by Bookish Angel
  • Like 1

I used a TA - she was able to get me 2 Oceanview cabins next to each other for quite a bit LESS than the prices I found for 2 Interior rooms on both the RCCL site and going through the Big Box Company's website.  She gave us $100 in OBC, printed out all our documentation and sent to use, and made up our luggage tags in nice holders.

She was also able to get us airfare plus 5 nights of 2 rooms in Rome for about $200 less than I could get JUST the flights!  (same exact flights).  I have no idea how she does it, but she's my angel!  🙂  She also answers any and all questions I have - she also helped find a fabulous resort for us for Spring break in 2018 - I will use her for all vacations going forward!

57 minutes ago, kidless said:

Just book direct with Royal,  pick up anything they are offering, get everything locked in, get the cabin you want and take care of any special needs.  Royal then gives you 60 days to transfer the booking, only thing you then need from the TA is the perks. Occasionally, more like very rarely, you can get a added OBC when booking Air2Sea flights. We have received OBC for using Air2Sea twice in the last 20 years. happy cruising

• Like 1

RCL just gave me a $50 OBC on my cruise planner that I wasn't even expecting.  I booked with a TA and got a $66 OBC from them for a 4-day cruise to Bahamas next April and then RCL just dropped another $50 on me out of nowhere.  So no, they're not entirely dead.

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, but some fares could be so low, along with their corresponding commission, that there’s no real perks to offer. 

I snagged ten days on Majesty with the post-Cuban-crisis reduced fare and no single supplement...even with taxes/fees, the whole thing was under $700.   I joked with my TA that he wouldn't be able to buy a single Tic-Tac with that puny commission.

We're cruising together in September for his brother's wedding, so I'll buy him a drink on that cruise to make up for his tiny paycheck!

3 hours ago, jagsfan said:

That would be fine, if we could spend that much there. We don’t need electronics or any other large purchases. 40 mile round trip too far for gas, so it would take at least two years to use it up. 

For Princess they send a check. Wish they did it got RCI. 

3 hours ago, jagsfan said:

There’s just two of us, in a condo, and our only big purchases are cruises. 

It’s only good for instore or online purchases, which precludes using it for another cruise. 

You can also sell the gift cards to people who WOULD use them.  

Selling a $250 gift card for $200 saves the buyer fifty bucks and puts two Benjamins in your wallet. 

42 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Just book direct with Royal,  pick up anything they are offering, get everything locked in, get the cabin you want and take care of any special needs.  Royal then gives you 60 days to transfer the booking, only thing you then need from the TA is the perks. Occasionally, more like very rarely, you can get a added OBC when booking Air2Sea flights. We have received OBC for using Air2Sea twice in the last 20 years. happy cruising

Our old TA cut me a rebate check on a Royal UP. Around 7-8%

However, she told me they dont get any commissions on Air2Sea.

Old TA😉

But for other reasons 😇

Edited by John&LaLa

4 hours ago, cindivan said:

I think I used to use the same big box retailer before I switched to a more full service TA. The gift cards at the one I used to use (snd I think the one they refer to) can only be used at their store. But it’s super easy to spend a lot there!  😂

I did get a small amount of OBC when I booked a cruise while I was sailing. And my current TA usually gives me some. Not as much monetarily if I had stuck with big box retailer TA, but that is the cost of service I guess. Worth it to me now. Wasn’t 10 years ago. 

If it the same big box store that I use, the gift cards do not have to be used at the store. They will give you cash or a check if it is for a large amount. The TA told me if was Royal Caribbean and Celebrity’s decision since the money comes from them.