Suggestions for hard side spinner luggage

Victory!

10 hours ago, ducklite said:

We're going to Eastern Europe for 17 days this winter--COLD.  On the way over, we'll check one medium bag (24") and carry on one 20" bag and each of us will have our small personal item. We'll have appropriate clothing for the symphony and a Krampus Parade--two activites which couldn't be further removed from each other.  

We've been talking about how to pare down what we will NEED and have done a lot of "this or that" for the WANTS over the past few months.  In May 2021 we have a land based trip that involves flying between several European countries (the train is not a viable option) where we'll have extremely limited luggage allowances, and we'll be 15-18 days in a 20" rolling bag and small personal item each.  

The day I need to haul the contents of my house around with me while I travel is the day I just stay home and play with my stuff there.

A few years back four of us did an 11 day self guided tour in Hungary and Czech Republic, and yeah it was cold at some places.   Did it with just a carry-on.  My sister in law taught use military folds -- worked well.  

10 hours ago, ducklite said:

Until they can't manage it all and end up holding up lines, dropping bags on people while trying to place them in overheads (not to mention taking bags which need to be placed sideways in overheads thus preventing others from being able to use the shared space), or blocking stairs trying to haul three bags at a time up them.  Over-packers almost always impact others, thus making it the business of others.  

Well, I don't want a bag dropped on my head for sure.   Otherwise, those things are just part of travel and not major issues to me.  I don't agonize about how others pack for travel.  Obviously, not everyone feels the same.  

Some time ago while traveling with my son we met an American couple in a  laudromat in Florence. He had recently retired form a senior bank position in Seattle. We lived in the same general area and had a fair bit in common.

They bought a two month Eurail pass.  The two months were up and they were about to buy another month or two. Just going wherever by train.

But they were smart.  They did a practice run on Amtrak from Seattle to LA to see how it would go with the luggage they planned on.  It did not go well.   They said they returned home, scrapped their suitcases, and bought what looked like 22" carry on  rollers.   I asked them how they got along.  Both said that the trip would have been much less enjoyable had they not downsized.  Because of how they traveled and the hotels that they were selecting.   We traded travel tips and we both went on our way.  No doubt they would have pack differently had they just been going from home to a cruise.  I will not volunteer to help someone lift a big, heavy suitcase any more.  Not worth the risk of doing myself an injury- especially when we are in the middle of a trip. 

Edited by iancal
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

Well, I don't want a bag dropped on my head for sure.   Otherwise, those things are just part of travel and not major issues to me.  I don't agonize about how others pack for travel.  Obviously, not everyone feels the same.  

I think it's rude to block stairs or have your bags tipping over on people or blocking lines because you can't manage your belongings.  I do everything possible to not be "that person" while traveling.  Unfortunately others don't always have that same level of courtesy.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, c-boy said:

Be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after attending the Krampus event..

I always wash my hands thoroughly.  If I"m in a situation where there is no water for clean up, I use several wipes and copious sanitizer--and avoid touching other people or anything for that matter.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ducklite said:

I think it's rude to block stairs or have your bags tipping over on people or blocking lines because you can't manage your belongings.  I do everything possible to not be "that person" while traveling.  Unfortunately others don't always have that same level of courtesy.

Well, I will circle back around to my original comment, which is that I don’t think anyone needs to justify to anyone else how much or little they pack or how many bags they want to bring.  

You have obviously had some bad travel experiences.  I hope your future travels are more enjoyable.   

• Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 1:16 AM, Victory! said:

I would like to invest in a hard side luggage set with spinner wheels.  Prefer moderately priced, I know that’s subjective, but let’s say I don’t want a couture designer with initials all over the place, but I would be willing to splurge on something that would be durable and lightweight.

The most important piece for me is the carry on, I need a set that includes a piece that will fit in an overhead bin.

Thanks!!

I find a supermarket bag for life is more than enough.