Suggestions for hard side spinner luggage

Victory!

I would like to invest in a hard side luggage set with spinner wheels.  Prefer moderately priced, I know that’s subjective, but let’s say I don’t want a couture designer with initials all over the place, but I would be willing to splurge on something that would be durable and lightweight.

The most important piece for me is the carry on, I need a set that includes a piece that will fit in an overhead bin.

Thanks!!

We had a hard-sided one for a few years at least.  One day it came through baggage claim with a probably 6-8" crack in it.  And they weigh more than soft-sided.  So no more hard-sided for us.  But I do like ebags.  Here's the one I got which is my fave forever.  It will also fit under the seat which a couple of times I've needed when jerks take more than their allotted space in the overheads.  And it lies on its 'back' so I could even prop my feet on it.

https://www.ebags.com/product/lucas/wheeled-under-the-seat-bag/211182?productid=10128614

• Like 1

I have had good luck with Tumi, Victorinox and Samsonite hard-sided luggage with spinner wheels. Since we are talking about  carry-on, it is pointless to comment on baggage handlers breaking wheels off.

Also, hard sided is generally lighter than soft- for two reasons: the thin, hard shell is simply lighter than the thicker, soft material other bags are made from. Additionally, th3 hard shell limits what you can pack, while the typical soft luggage, with its flexibility an$ tempting external zippered sections tempt you to over-fill them;   sometimes making them difficult to lift up to, or fit into, luggage compartments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you're a Costco member they have a 2-piece Samsonite hard-side spinner set on sale this month (around $139 if memory serves). I opted for a Samsonite soft-side spinner set for about the same price. I haven't verified the carry-on's size vs. airline requirements.

I figure the risk of a wheel being broken off is mitigated by Costco's generous satisfaction guarantee. After our last cruise we decided we needed the spinner wheels.

Edited by Underwatr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

or fit into, luggage compartments.

I have a goal to be "Czarina of the Universe" and my first act will be to do away with all overhead bins.  One will either put it under one's seat or check it.  A real bugaboo of mine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

I have a goal to be "Czarina of the Universe" and my first act will be to do away with all overhead bins.  One will either put it under one's seat or check it.  A real bugaboo of mine.

You've obviously never been a road warrior who lives out of a carry-on.  Because the time spent checking and waiting for bags makes for lost work productivity.

Also, since airlines will not accept responsibility for loss or damage to electronics and cameras, sometimes that overhead is needed for the things airlines won't check.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, clo said:

Those overhead bins occupy space in the aircraft which would be wasted if they were not there.  The aisle has to have enough headroom for people to walk, but that height is not needed over the seats -those bins are very useful.  The only problem with them is that unthinking passengers either trundle on bags which are too large to fit properly or are too heavy for them to hoist up. I cannot count the times some petite little thing batted her over-mascared lids as she asked me to “help” (meaning do all her lifting).

The gate agents should not only check the size of the bags, they should require passengers to lift them over their heads - if they can’t, they should be sent back to the check in desk.

I like the bins - there just aren’t enough - possibly because people do not understand the meaning of ONE carry-on bag, any more than they grasp the fact that “carry-on” means they should be able to carry it.  

Don’t get rid of the bins, just don’t sell tickets to stupid or selfish people.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

or are too heavy for them to hoist up.

And then I worry about the latches popping open and that overly heavy item falling down on my head.....

Yes, I've seen overhead bins open up midflight all by themselves.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I cannot count the times some petite little thing batted her over-mascared lids as she asked me to “help” (meaning do all her lifting).

And I won't help her if my life depended on it!  If the airlines would enforce their own dang rules....

"

Don’t get rid of the bins, just don’t sell tickets to stupid or selfish people."

Easier to get rid of the bins than the people.  But, hey, when I'm Czarina.... 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

OP:

If you look very carefully at "spinner" luggage wheels, you'll notice a small inscription on each wheel that says "please break me off." Airport baggage handlers do their best to always comply.

Seriously, LOL, I've done 350K/year and don't know how many miles and cobbled sidewalks I've dragged my BR, still going them little wheels and spinners.

33 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

And then I worry about the latches popping open and that overly heavy item falling down on my head.....

While possible, really not to often,  I can't remember it happening once in about 700K miles over the last couple years, but a good worry.

What scares me more are the many passengers who can't even safely lift their bags to put in the overhead.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

While possible, really not to often,  I can't remember it happening once in about 700K miles over the last couple years, but a good worry.

What scares me more are the many passengers who can't even safely lift their bags to put in the overhead.

And, once it's up there, after landing, they're the first one up and pulling it out (hopefully not directly onto the person's head just below) causing everything loaded in there to come out also.

50 minutes ago, clo said:

And I won't help her if my life depended on it!  If the airlines would enforce their own dang rules....

"

Don’t get rid of the bins, just don’t sell tickets to stupid or selfish people."

Easier to get rid of the bins than the people.  But, hey, when I'm Czarina.... 🙂

good to know

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Those overhead bins occupy space in the aircraft which would be wasted if they were not there.  The aisle has to have enough headroom for people to walk, but that height is not needed over the seats -those bins are very useful.  The only problem with them is that unthinking passengers either trundle on bags which are too large to fit properly or are too heavy for them to hoist up. I cannot count the times some petite little thing batted her over-mascared lids as she asked me to “help” (meaning do all her lifting).

The gate agents should not only check the size of the bags, they should require passengers to lift them over their heads - if they can’t, they should be sent back to the check in desk.

I like the bins - there just aren’t enough - possibly because people do not understand the meaning of ONE carry-on bag, any more than they grasp the fact that “carry-on” means they should be able to carry it.  

Spot on.....I couldn't agree more !!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I agree with the first part of your comments, and especially because I put my feet under the seat in front of me.  Some folks might have problems lifting even a relatively light carry-on.   As long as I'm able I don't mind giving a hand.  I am happy to offer help to fellow senior citizens who might have issues putting their bag in the bin.   But I do have to admit I've assisted with bags that seem to be full of bricks.  Some airlines/flights do enforce carry-on weight limits.  

5 hours ago, clo said:

Put it under your seat, darlin'.

And how tall are you?

Also, the space under the seat is much smaller than the overhead bins.

I need to be able to stretch my legs into that space.  Especially on long international flights.

4 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

I have over 3 million total air miles.

I have seen bins pop open, but cannot recall every seeing a bag come out.

I buy my bags from eBags.

I am currently using Delsey, but a line they no longer make.  I prefer a clamshell like bag, so I don't have to take things out, just open and use from the bag.  The ones I have had not had any wheel problems or cracking.  But they use a zipper that, at the bottom end, goes up and over the lid.  And airlines seem to want to put the bag upside down and drag it, damaging the zipper.  So now, I put a layer of gaffers tape over the zipper.

I also have a couple of Samsonite ones.  They work fine, except the way the handles are arranged, it is hard to handle two bags with one hand.

I travel for work, internationally, for several weeks at a time.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SRF said:

And how tall are you?

Also, the space under the seat is much smaller than the overhead bins.

I need to be able to stretch my legs into that space.  Especially on long international flights.

I'm above average height for a woman.  Here's the bag I have.  Only twice have I had to put it under my seat but it will 'lie' on its back and I can put my feet on it.