Number of ships in a port

Can anybody tell me how to go about determining the number of ships that will be

in a port on a particular date. Getting a bit concerned about the number of

people in Santorini after reading a recent topic on over tourism.

Hoping going a bit later ( end of September, 2020) that it might not be too bad.

Any thoughts?

I looked at April 2021, and it looks like Norwegian Dawn will be in port with us in Santorini.  Of course, in my experience, this is early, and other ships can be added.

Alas, I doubt we'll do much in Santorini anyways, too physically challenging for those of us who don't like stairs. Even the funicular involves a whole lot of climbing I believe.

Not all tours in Santorini involve having to use the stair/cable car.  There is another tendering area that buses go to.

Also, even if the town is loaded with ships, the other cruise lines tend to leave early and Regent tends to stay late. And usually by late in the the day the Cable cars are empty. Just plan to stay in town for a few hours in the afternoon and the crush will be over.

J

4 hours ago, snorkle lover said:

Can anybody tell me how to go about determining the number of ships that will be

in a port on a particular date. Getting a bit concerned about the number of

people in Santorini after reading a recent topic on over tourism.

Hoping going a bit later ( end of September, 2020) that it might not be too bad.

Any thoughts?

We had a terrific cruise from Athens to Athens (posted a review here) on the Voyager in October 2018 but Santorini was our least favorite port.. We arrived in Santorini at 8 AM on Saturday, October 13th at 8 AM (Voyager departed at 6PM) with 2 other (but big) cruise ships. Beautiful warm, sunny day. Regent tendered to us to a dock where buses loaded - pleasant, easy transfer. We went on a pleasant, interesting IslandRegent excursion. At the end of the tour, we dropped off at Fira (the capital city) a few blocks from the funicular - traffic was HORRENDOUS there. It was shoulder to shoulder people on the narrow street that overlooks the caldera. The line to the funicular was long (more than an hour wait at 2 PM) and chaotic - not pleasant in the sun and heat.

48 minutes ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

We had a terrific cruise from Athens to Athens (posted a review here) on the Voyager in October 2018 but Santorini was our least favorite port.. We arrived in Santorini at 8 AM on Saturday, October 13th at 8 AM (Voyager departed at 6PM) with 2 other (but big) cruise ships. Beautiful warm, sunny day. Regent tendered to us to a dock where buses loaded - pleasant, easy transfer. We went on a pleasant, interesting IslandRegent excursion. At the end of the tour, we dropped off at Fira (the capital city) a few blocks from the funicular - traffic was HORRENDOUS there. It was shoulder to shoulder people on the narrow street that overlooks the caldera. The line to the funicular was long (more than an hour wait at 2 PM) and chaotic - not pleasant in the sun and heat.

That's the time to go find a nice bar with a spectacular view, have a drink or two and wait for the crowds to dissipate. A lot of the mass market ships depart Santorini in early afternoon so by three or four it should be much easier.

45 minutes ago, wripro said:

That's the time to go find a nice bar with a spectacular view, have a drink or two and wait for the crowds to dissipate. A lot of the mass market ships depart Santorini in early afternoon so by three or four it should be much easier.

Well ours leaves at 5 p.m. so doesn't leave much time for that.  I have heard that many bus tours drop you off in Fira to take the funicular down to your ship.  Since I know there are stairs involved, this wouldn't do for us.  Do any bus tours actually take you back to your tender directly?

Not related to Santorini, but over this past weekend we tried to find a website that accurately represented the ships in port in Venice while on Voyager (which was thankfully docked away from the huge ships, and only had a Crystal ship as our dock mate coming in on Saturday afternoon). We could identify all of the large ships "around the corner", and we could not find any web site that accurately listed the ships currently in port.

On 7/14/2019 at 9:05 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Well ours leaves at 5 p.m. so doesn't leave much time for that.  I have heard that many bus tours drop you off in Fira to take the funicular down to your ship.  Since I know there are stairs involved, this wouldn't do for us.  Do any bus tours actually take you back to your tender directly? 

The last time I was in Santorini the ship moves incl the tenders from the point you are droped for the bus to the "harbour" down at the stairs/cablecar. I don't like the idea but you can also take a donkey downstairs

On 7/15/2019 at 9:47 PM, xrvlcruiser said:

I looked at Cruisecal.com and it showed 7 ships in Venice. on both Saturday and Sunday. The Voyager was there on Saturday

Peggy

And it was wrong. We were there on both Saturday and Sunday, and there were more than 7 ships in port on both days. We were at the smaller dock with the Crystal Esprit, and all of the large ships were at the docks further in. We could see them with our binoculars, as well as seeing them pass by us at out dock.