Let's discuss Free Bar

atj1971

I am getting ready to book a cruise, kind of last minute.  Will someone be so kind and explain the "Free open bar" Norwegian promotes on their website.  Can you tell me what's included, what is excluded, are there hidden costs?  I have only cruised Carnival before and usually do purchase the Cheers program.  Can you compare there two?

Thank you all so much and happy sailing.

No water

No specialty coffees

No daily limit as in Carni's plan

All drinks up to $15 -- anything over and you pay the difference plus 20%

The only fees involved are the 20% gratuity that you will pay and those are added into the total cruise price when booking is completed.

Edited by Sauer-kraut
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, atj1971 said:

I am getting ready to book a cruise, kind of last minute.  Will someone be so kind and explain the "Free open bar" Norwegian promotes on their website.  Can you tell me what's included, what is excluded, are there hidden costs?  I have only cruised Carnival before and usually do purchase the Cheers program.  Can you compare there two?

It covers the first $15 of bar drinks (you pay the difference above $15). 2 drinks at a time. As much as you can drink all day long. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Google Free Open Bar Sun ..... pretty simple. 

I did that and didn't find what I was looking for. That is why I came to the message boards where people ask questions to others who may know. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, atj1971 said:

I did that and didn't find what I was looking for. That is why I came to the message boards where people ask questions to others who may know. 

I am on the Sun in 2 weeks as well.  "Free Open Bar" has been converted to Premium Plus Beverage Package...at least on my 8/2 sailing as the "free open bar" concept is being phased out on the Sun and Sky 3 and 4 day sailings.  PPBP includes everything from bottled water, specialty coffee, bottle of wine with dinner, and top-shelf liquor.  And as others have said, there is no drink limit and you can get 2 drinks at a time on a single card.

Update....I just looked at a mock booking and it is now showing as Premium Beverage Package instead of Premium Plus.  Premium includes drinks up to $15, no bottled water or wine with dinner.  It's best to check your "vacation summary" on your booking within the NCL portal to determine exactly which package you have on this trip.  Either way, you can enjoy a cocktail or two on your trip!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1

If you are looking at the Sun or Sky prior to September I believe you can still book under the old "open bar" program. Check directly with your TA or NCL for clarification. Other threads on this board indicate either free at sea drink package  (UBP) or open bar can booked until September. After that only free at sea.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, atj1971 said:

NCL always lists "Terms and Conditions" at the bottom of the page.  It might take a few minutes to scroll through info one wants to find, but it wasn't any more time consuming than that.

Premium Plus Beverage Package (Sun & Sky 3-6 night sailings prior to 9/4/19 only)
Applicable to guests 1-2 on the reservation. 
Guests 1-2 regardless of age will receive the Premium Plus Beverage Package. However, guests under the age of 21 at the time of sailing, may not consume alcoholic beverages.
Eligible guests are entitled to two beverages per person per transaction. 
Includes all beverages by the glass. Beverage selection is subject to change onboard.
Includes select wines by the bottle when dining. 
Includes fountain soda, freshly squeezed juice, bottled water (flat and sparkling), non-alcoholic beer, and specialty coffee (specialty coffee inclusion shall be limited to dining rooms only).
A 40% discount will be given on bottles of wine (champagne and sparkling included), Wine and Spirit Experiences, tastings or Flights purchased on board.
Offer is not applicable at Harvest Caye bars, restaurants, or venues.
Does not include: Wine and Spirit Experiences, tastings or Flights, specialty coffee outside of the restaurants, room service, mini bar purchases, wine dispenser or vending machines.
Guest's check may reflect applicable VAT and/or taxes for certain ports or itineraries.
Guest is responsible for 20% gratuities on the retail value of the Premium Plus Beverage Package ($5.80 per person per day) prior to cruise.
Retail value of Premium Plus Beverage Package is $29.00 per person per day. Package price is subject to change.
No substitute for package if guest cannot consume all beverages included.

• Like 1