San Juan PR port of call ?

chelan

6 hours ago, chelan said:

Is San Juan PR on port of call for cruise ships. National news says RC is not stopping at San Juan 

Civil unrest in San Juan due to demand for their governor to resign. RCI has so far just canceled two port stops to date.

One way or the other it should all be over in a couple of weeks, so unless your cruise is imminent, I wouldn't worry.

That said, I'm not sure what they are doing about cruises departing from PR right now--if there are any.

13 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Remember there are far fewer cruise ships in the Caribbean right now, as opposed to the winter, when there are dozens more.

This has been addressed in the past and is not exactly the case.  As example, Carnival (12), RCI (7), Celebrity (1), and MSC (2), Princess (1), NCL (1), and Disney (1), have a combined 25 ships permanently based in the US offering cruises to the Caribbean during the summer.  While it is true that more ships are re-positioned to the Caribbean in the Winter, when you compare the number based there 12 months per year to each line's total US positioned fleet the % is significant, and the additional ships added in the winter is not as great as thought.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

This has been addressed in the past and is not exactly the case.  As example, Carnival (12), RCI (7), Celebrity (1), and MSC (2), Princess (1), NCL (1), and Disney (1), have a combined 25 ships permanently based in the US offering cruises to the Caribbean during the summer.  While it is true that more ships are re-positioned to the Caribbean in the Winter, when you compare the number based there 12 months per year to each line's total US positioned fleet the % is significant, and the additional ships added in the winter is not as great as thought.

That assumes that only those lines sail the Caribbean.  There are a dozen or so others that you aren't thinking of.  

Regent, Windstar, Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea, Oceania, Azamara, Costa, HAL, Viking Sea, Cunard, NatGeo/Lindblad, and I'm sure I"m missing a few add in over 20 combined ships each winter into the Caribbean.  That makes a measurable impact on your numbers.

1 hour ago, ducklite said:

That assumes that only those lines sail the Caribbean.  There are a dozen or so others that you aren't thinking of.  

Regent, Windstar, Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea, Oceania, Azamara, Costa, HAL, Viking Sea, Cunard, NatGeo/Lindblad, and I'm sure I"m missing a few add in over 20 combined ships each winter into the Caribbean.  That makes a measurable impact on your numbers.

No it doesn't assume that.  I only listed those as examples as they are the more mainstream mass market cruise lines that represent the majority of passenger volume.  And as a result those other lines you mention represent a smaller cruise market for the Caribbean with fewer - and often smaller - ships in their fleet. 

The point being that there is a very large family market, along with the rest of the year round cruising demographics, that sail the Caribbean in the summer months and there are a significant number of mainstream cruise line ships that are permanently based there to serve that volume. And as that volume continues to increase, the number of permanently based ships will increase to serve that market.

11 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

No it doesn't assume that.  I only listed those as examples as they are the more mainstream mass market cruise lines that represent the majority of passenger volume.  And as a result those other lines you mention represent a smaller cruise market for the Caribbean with fewer - and often smaller - ships in their fleet. 

The point being that there is a very large family market, along with the rest of the year round cruising demographics, that sail the Caribbean in the summer months and there are a significant number of mainstream cruise line ships that are permanently based there to serve that volume. And as that volume continues to increase, the number of permanently based ships will increase to serve that market.

Eventually the market will become over-saturated with the mass market ships and the bottom will fall out.  The number of ports is finite and the growth at it's current rate is unsustainable.  

15 minutes ago, ducklite said:

Eventually the market will become over-saturated with the mass market ships and the bottom will fall out.  The number of ports is finite and the growth at it's current rate is unsustainable.  

Can't argue your point but tell that to RCI, Celebrity, MSC, Costa, P&O, Disney, Virgin, HAL, and NCL to name a few that all have new ships planned (most have a few) for 2020-2027 launch, some of which are earmarked for the Caribbean.

On July 18, 2019 at 8:33 AM, ducklite said:

Hope so because consumers will be the beneficiary when the bottom falls out and cruise prices plummeted.

4 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Hope so because consumers will be the beneficiary when the bottom falls out and cruise prices plummeted.

As nice as that would be, I wouldn't count on that anytime too soon, although I don't think the Caribbean prices are bad now as a result of good competition between the cruise lines.