Confused About S & S Cards and FTTF

I'm gathering from reading some posts here that you don't get your S & S cards until you get to your cabin.  We have FTTF and can go to our cabins as soon as we board.  How do they keep people from roaming the halls, taking your card and charging things to it?  Also, if your luggage is already in the cabin, couldn't someone let themselves in and go through your luggage?  Do they have the doors to the halls monitored so that only FTTF people can enter?  (We are used to Royal where you get your cards at check-in and no one can access their cabins until they open the doors to the halls.)  What if you need to charge something before you go to your cabin?  We are sailing on Sunshine out of Charleston if that makes any difference.

Your boarding pass shows your FTTF status and can also be used for purchases prior to retrieving your S&S card, which is in a sealed envelope.

Since this system was implemented I haven't seen even one instance reported of other people taking cards either to enter the wrong cabin, or to make purchases.

It's a good system that has greatly reduced time required to check in.

Happy sailing.

• Like 1

We’ve had FTTF several times.  Our luggage is never at the door early, usually shows around 3-4pm (we arrive to port around 11-1130. We have been asked to see our cards when entering the closed door twice but not on this last cruise. The cards are there waiting. I guess someone could take your cards and use them but hopefully staff would notice the picture.  I would suggest checking your balance the first night, if something doesn’t look right address it right away.  

• Like 1

When you board you should be able to go straight to your room and your cards will be in the mailbox outside your room.  When this program first started many people had concerns such as yours, but no one has had a problem that I have read about.  If you can't get your cards immediately you can use your boarding pass to charge drinks.   If you notice your cards are missing go to guest services immediately to let them know so they can issue you new cards.  Most people have said this process works very well and makes check in smoother.  You picture also pops up when you purchase something.  I would think that alone would deter people from taking others cards.

Candi

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Willwork4cruises said:

We’ve had FTTF several times.  Our luggage is never at the door early, usually shows around 3-4pm (we arrive to port around 11-1130. We have been asked to see our cards when entering the closed door twice but not on this last cruise. The cards are there waiting. I guess someone could take your cards and use them but hopefully staff would notice the picture.  I would suggest checking your balance the first night, if something doesn’t look right address it right away.  

I thought one of the benefits of FTTF was getting your luggage early. 

Thanks for the info.  It just seems like a strange way to do things - probably because I'm used to a different procedure.

13 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

Thanks for the info.  It just seems like a strange way to do things - probably because I'm used to a different procedure.

Yes. It is suppose to be but has never really worked out for us.  Probably because we get there at a busy time.   We get FTTF mainly for the quick self assist disembarkation without needing to fight the masses pushing in front after we’ve been waiting. The last three ships have done a great job with FTTF self assist disembark so it flows well. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

You should get your luggage early, but it won't get to your cabin that early.  It will be left in the hallway outside your cabin door.

Welcome to Carnival.  Maybe you'll find some other things they do differently and will be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Willwork4cruises said:

Yes. It is suppose to be but has never really worked out for us.  Probably because we get there at a busy time.   We get FTTF mainly for the quick self assist disembarkation without needing to fight the masses pushing in front after we’ve been waiting. The last three ships have done a great job with FTTF self assist disembark so it flows well. 

Although this would be really nice, it's not why I booked FTTF - I wanted the immediate cabin access and the priority tendering.  The dedicated GS line is nice, too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, handbellplayer said:

Although this would be really nice, it's not why I booked FTTF - I wanted the immediate cabin access and the priority tendering.  The dedicated GS line is nice, too.

Us also.  We pack our carry ons so we won't need our checked luggage right away.  It is nice to get it ASAP in order for us to go ahead and unpack, but if we don't get it until later, it's not a big deal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, handbellplayer said:

Immediate access to our cabin has never been an issue and guest services has always been quick with FTTF. I can’t help you with the priority tender, we haven’t used it yet. I finally made platinum so now I only have to buy it for the kids cabin.  Hope you enjoy your cruise.  

5 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

You should get your luggage early, but it won't get to your cabin that early.  It will be left in the hallway outside your cabin door.

Welcome to Carnival.  Maybe you'll find some other things they do differently and will be pleasantly surprised.

We actually sailed on Carnival many years ago and enjoyed it.  We've stuck with Royal since then because of loyalty rewards, but have also sailed NCL and Celebrity.  We are not picky cruisers - I've never had a bad cruise!  We are so happy to be able to cruise from Charleston instead of FL ports!

For those that get FTTF, do luggage tags say FTTF, or just Priority? I was wondering, because if there are a lot of Diamonds and Plats on board, and they all have Priority tags, I can see there being delays. 

Same with all the other enticements they offer with FTTF, except going to the cabin early. Hopefully there isn’t a line to go to your cabin..LOL But I can see things like guest services and priority tendering could also have lines depending on priority numbers.

But, then again, I go on longer cruises, where half the ship is priority.

Edited by crzndeb

26 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

For those that get FTTF, do luggage tags say FTTF, or just Priority? I was wondering, because if there are a lot of Diamonds and Plats on board, and they all have Priority tags, I can see there being delays. 

Same with all the other enticements they offer with FTTF, except going to the cabin early. Hopefully there isn’t a line to go to your cabin..LOL But I can see things like guest services and priority tendering could also have lines depending on priority numbers.

Our luggage tags say FTTF.  I doubt that a short summer cruise will have a lot of cruisers with status.  (Our 16 day Panama Canal cruise on RCCL in October, on the other hand.....half or more of us will Diamond and above, I'll bet!)

23 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

Our luggage tags say FTTF.  I doubt that a short summer cruise will have a lot of cruisers with status.  (Our 16 day Panama Canal cruise on RCCL in October, on the other hand.....half or more of us will Diamond and above, I'll bet!)

I think you’re right....I would bet that most of the 7 day are lower in priority numbers.

On Serenade TA last year, they had to have Diamond event in the Safari Lounge, because there were so many, and even then it was packed.

I have had my luggage put in my cabin a few times on Carnival, but it’s not usually the norm. Usually, if I have met and talked to my room steward before it arrives, he or she will put in cabin, if they are still around.

• Like 1

I like FTTF for priority boarding, immediate cabin access, and the priority line at Guest Services. We always drive to our cruises, so priority debark is nice to because I like to get on the road.

The priority luggage perk just means it gets priority over general boarding. Platinum, Diamond, and FTTF all have that perk, so they usually have a lot of priority luggage to deliver. If there's anything you know you need right away, or want handy right away, be sure to carry it on with you.

Last year for our 7-day, we had FTTF, but our cabin wasn't quite ready when we got there shortly after 11am. We asked if it was ok if we dropped off our carry-on bags and she said it was fine. Our S&S cards weren't in the mailbox yet, but as we were walking down the hall, we passed our steward. Well, I was assuming he was our steward, and he was carrying a bunch of envelopes with everyone's S&S cards. So we turned around and got ours.

We had four checked bags. They arrived at different times. We got two together, then another one, then the last one. Had all four by 2:00-2:30.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, handbellplayer said:

I'm gathering from reading some posts here that you don't get your S & S cards until you get to your cabin.  We have FTTF and can go to our cabins as soon as we board.  How do they keep people from roaming the halls, taking your card and charging things to it?  Also, if your luggage is already in the cabin, couldn't someone let themselves in and go through your luggage?  Do they have the doors to the halls monitored so that only FTTF people can enter?  (We are used to Royal where you get your cards at check-in and no one can access their cabins until they open the doors to the halls.)  What if you need to charge something before you go to your cabin?  We are sailing on Sunshine out of Charleston if that makes any difference.

The doors to the hallways might be closed I usually just walk in and grab my cards. I haven't done FTTF in a long time. for me personally it's not worth it. most of my excursions are scuba and the dive boats usually just pick us up from the ship. Ive never heard of anyone stealing cards and using them to purchase things. as someone else stated your picture pops up on the POS when they slide your S&S card. I always have a carry on so I pack an extra set of clothes ie board shorts and t shirt and sandals. Even with FTTF from what I've read and experienced it's hit or miss if your luggage gets to your room early or not 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, candigirl41 said:

You picture also pops up when you purchase something.  I would think that alone would deter people from taking others cards.

Candi

It is still wise to keep an eye on your account.  The servers that walk around delivering drinks only take your folio number.  The person making the drinks and charging your account never see your face.  

• Like 1

FTTF: We've had it, and not had it. It doesn't speed things up much, other than disembarking on the last day. The best way to get your luggage early is to give the porter a heavy tip. No tip gets you at the back of the line. $5 a bag gets your luggage by 2 or 3. $10 a bag gets your luggage on the first load into the ship. Is this fair? No. But it works. I can buy my way ahead of you in line. BBwwwaaaaHAHAHAHAHAHA.

S&S cards on the door. Can some one steal this and charge your card? Cards have a picture that comes up on the register when scanned onboard. You better look like the person on the stolen card. Plus, all the shops are closed until international waters are reached so other than a drink or two in the worst case, it's not going to be a big problem.

39 minutes ago, wms99 said:

FTTF: We've had it, and not had it. It doesn't speed things up much, other than disembarking on the last day. The best way to get your luggage early is to give the porter a heavy tip. No tip gets you at the back of the line. $5 a bag gets your luggage by 2 or 3. $10 a bag gets your luggage on the first load into the ship. Is this fair? No. But it works. I can buy my way ahead of you in line. BBwwwaaaaHAHAHAHAHAHA.

S&S cards on the door. Can some one steal this and charge your card? Cards have a picture that comes up on the register when scanned onboard. You better look like the person on the stolen card. Plus, all the shops are closed until international waters are reached so other than a drink or two in the worst case, it's not going to be a big problem.

But the porters/longshoremen just stack the luggage in the racks and have no say as to when anyone gets their luggage since they don't deliver it.  There are plenty of people who will tell you differently.  Those that never tip and those that always do, but if you want to give them that much money, go for it. BTW, those people taking your luggage work for the port, not the cruiseline and they make very good money.  They are unionized.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Diamonds and Platinums   board before  FTTF  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wms99 said:

Yes, the shops are closed until you reach international waters which is always after 1:30 anyway.  You would already have your card.  Until that time, the only place to use your card would be at a bar and you would physically have to go to the bar yourself.  If you order a drink from the waiters that walk around, they only take your folio number and the person ringing it up never sees your face.  I can honestly say that even going up to the bar and ordering a drink, they barely look at you when you order.

As others have said though, as long as it's been in effect, nobody has ever mentioned that their cards have been stolen.

Edited by RWolver672
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, EngineCo52 said:

The doors to the hallways might be closed I usually just walk in and grab my cards. I haven't done FTTF in a long time. for me personally it's not worth it.

If you're not priority of any kind, whether that be FTTF or P/D, then you shouldn't be going through the doors and into the cabin hallways. The housekeeping teams are very busy and they don't need more people than Carnival already allows wandering the hallways, getting their S&S cards early, and (some) putting their luggage in their room when they shouldn't be.

2 hours ago, wms99 said:

If you've gotten your luggage early after tipping the porter more, it was by sheer coincidence. The porters are employed by the port, not Carnival. They load your luggage onto their cart, then wait to fill the cart with more luggage. That's where yours begins to get lost in the mix. They're not watching yours to make sure it goes first. Then all they do is take the luggage to a staging area where they're stacked into the large bins that are then loaded onto the ship. By that time, all those bags get shuffled around. Once on the ship, they get shuffled around some more to find the bags with priority delivery and arrange them according to decks. The porter you gave more money to never gave it any thought. They don't see any one bag through from pick-up to cabin...they can't. They aren't holding bags aside to be delivered by a certain time according to their tips. So sorry to say, you're not buying your way ahead of anyone. The porters you're tipping more than you need to are the ones laughing.

• Like 6