Symphony Pool Drinks

I recently watched a video on YouTube doing a review of Symphony.  One thing that was mentioned in the video is that they do not allow any drinks in or around the pools.  My wife and I always enjoy having a beer or dink while sitting in the shallow part of the pool with our feet in the deeper part.  We have done this on every cruise for the past 20 years.  We are really hoping that this was a rule that someone has misinterpreted.

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

They may require drinks to be in plastic glasses, but I've not heard of a Royal  rule that says no drinks near the pool.

Thank you for your reply.  I thought that sounded odd.  I agree with the plastic glasses.

I know that most of my Drink Package purchases are made right from in the pool on my previous 19 cruises.  I have had the waitstaff take my seapass or wow band from me right in the pool and then hand me the beer in the pool.  This is one of my favorite ways to spend my time on a cruise.  It is too bad that a few people that have possibly  drank irresponsibly in the pools and  ruined this for us the responsible cruisers.

1 hour ago, HotRod3 said:

I know that most of my Drink Package purchases are made right from in the pool on my previous 19 cruises.  I have had the waitstaff take my seapass or wow band from me right in the pool and then hand me the beer in the pool.  This is one of my favorite ways to spend my time on a cruise.  It is too bad that a few people that have possibly  drank irresponsibly in the pools and  ruined this for us the responsible cruisers.

What was the date of this video? They say “a couple of weeks ago,” but I didn’t see a date or hear one mentioned.

2 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

That bottle is aluminum. 

Yes.  This video states you cannot have any drinks in the pool.  It doesn’t talk about glass or containers, but that you cannot have any drinks at all in the pool.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HotRod3 said:

I have had the waitstaff take my seapass or wow band from me right in the pool and then hand me the beer in the pool.  This is one of my favorite ways to spend my time on a cruise.

Again, you can't go by what one person says in one video on one sailing - very likely you'll be able to enjoy those drinks just as you have in the past. The bigger problem may be finding someone to bring it you.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

I seem to remember on the Navigator earlier this year that the lifeguards asked people to remove their drinks from the pool - even though in plastic.  They just asked that you sat on the side of the pool or poolside chairs; just not physically in the pool with a drink. 

7 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Again, you can't go by what one person says in one video on one sailing - very likely you'll be able to enjoy those drinks just as you have in the past. The bigger problem may be finding someone to bring it you.

Yep. I’m trying to do a little more digging to see if it’s true.  I suspect it isn’t.  I’ve been on a cruise since the date of this one and enjoyed plenty of drinks in the pool.  Although it was a different ship, I’d say the practice is encouraged.  😉

13 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

I seem to remember on the Navigator earlier this year that the lifeguards asked people to remove their drinks from the pool - even though in plastic.  They just asked that you sat on the side of the pool or poolside chairs; just not physically in the pool with a drink. 

I mean, there’s nothing to say your experience was different, but this was Navigator a couple of weeks ago.

EEEFAAF4-5046-4001-95E0-58C9738FD76B.jpeg

B1D34E77-22F4-414A-91EE-3853C6EC549B.jpeg

D93F2696-03CF-46F6-8682-039BA7FAE561.jpeg

Regarding the Navigator - I agree, I don’t remember that happening previously; however, this was in the solarium pool and specifically by the lifeguards.  Waiters were delivering drinks to the solarium hot tubs and pools, but you could not stand in the pool; had to be seated and drink placed on pool deck. 

4 hours ago, HotRod3 said:

I don't think it's about someone getting too drunk, but I believe the rule is in place because you cannot see broken glass in a pool, so you're not allowed to usually have wine glasses or anything of the sort near the water.  My suspicion is that the rule was misinterpreted by the video poster, and someone was turned down ordering a drink that came in a GLASS cup.  I could be wrong, but I would bet this is the case.  No drinks at all by the pool is ridiculous.

Edited by jetta8300
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, jetta8300 said:

I don't think it's about someone getting too drunk, but I believe the rule is in place because you cannot see broken glass in a pool, so you're not allowed to usually have wine glasses or anything of the sort near the water.  My suspicion is that the rule was misinterpreted by the video poster, and someone was turned down ordering a drink that came in a GLASS cup.  I could be wrong, but I would bet this is the case.  No drinks at all by the pool is ridiculous.

I’m thinking this is the case as well.  I haven’t been on Symphony, but those pics from the Navigator from a couple of weeks ago included some frozen yumminess from the Lime & Coconut that looked like glass, but their stemware is plastic.   I may or may not have personal evidence of this. 😉

0375B90A-AE47-45A3-B21F-ECB5BD9ED637.jpeg

I will say that I've seen, on more than one occasion, people in the water who haven't left the water for several rounds, if you catch my drift (I can neither confirm nor deny that I was one of them).  They were spilling their drinks into the pool.  Maybe this was a bigger problem than normal on a specific cruise and they kept drinks out of the pool just on that cruise??

When I was on the Symphony earlier this year, I had purchased a glass of wine from an inside bar.  I eventually wondered out to the pool deck.  When I went to get a refill at one of the pool bars, they replaced the real glass one with a plastic wine glass.  I had no issue, even though I wasn't planning getting near the pools.  I understand the reasoning.

While I can't recall people actually being in the pool with drinks, there were definitely people sitting on the edges with drinks in hand.

On 7/21/2019 at 11:24 AM, gatour said:

When I was on the Symphony earlier this year, I had purchased a glass of wine from an inside bar.  I eventually wondered out to the pool deck.  When I went to get a refill at one of the pool bars, they replaced the real glass one with a plastic wine glass.  I had no issue, even though I wasn't planning getting near the pools.  I understand the reasoning.

While I can't recall people actually being in the pool with drinks, there were definitely people sitting on the edges with drinks in hand.

Just off the symphony and I did see one lifeguard had everybody get out of the pool that was holding a drink, but then there were other lifeguards that allowed it.