Stressing about feel like temps!

JPelletier

Cruising on the NCL Jewel from Vancouver to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, and Seward then 3 days interior to Anchorage and Denali on the 29th... The 10 day forecasts are beginning to come into play and beyond Skagway listing 59 as the high all our other stops are between 65-75.  So is this really what the temps will feel like?  I am a fairly warm person so these temps would dictate shorts, jeans, flip flops, and short sleeved shorts with a light sweater/sweatshirt or two.. I would hate to lug tons of extra pounds of heavier sweaters, etc if not necessary but I would also hate to be FREEZING cold lmao! Thanks for any input or advice!

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick response!  I totally get that the forecast might change... I guess my question is, and this may sound kind of silly, if it is supposed to be 65 in NJ I know that it might vary a few degrees and I know what I would wear... In Alaska are the "feel like" temps close to the actual? When we booked this trip I guess I was thinking we would need heavier layers.

keep in mind that on and near the water it will feel cooler.  No need to bring tons of heavy items,  just bring 1 or maybe 2 heavier sweater type layers.  Nobody will care, (or notice) if you wear the same thing multiple times.  Your family and friends may comment on the same thing in all the pictures...lol  

Just make sure one layer is waterproof.  Nothing worse than being wet, and cold.  

The other thing is that coming from the summer heat, those high 50's and mid 60's will feel cooler than if we were coming from those temps to begin with . 

• Like 2

Skagway may say 59, but it gets really windy there sometimes and the wind chill really cuts into off the canal there. It's all relative. We are from Southern CA and temps of 65-75 are our normal summer weather here on the beach. But honestly, I can tell you those same temperatures feel cooler to me in Alaska, especially if accompanied by rain or wind. Also, your scenic viewing day can get very cold when you are right up in front of the glacier. You will likely want to be outside taking in all the beauty and if your freezing because you don't have adequate layers you won't enjoy it much. Just be sure to bring some layers to keep you comfortable and warm as you need them and something to keep you dry.

• Like 3

as others have said,  dress in layers.  The base layer will probably be Tshirts long or short, and you'll need several of them since you change the layer next to your skin every day.  The warmth layer is a sweater/hoody/fleece and you only need 1 or 2, as these can be re-worn.  Top layer is a waterproof jacket. 

Carry a small daypack  so you have a place to store your jacket if the day warms up and you don't need it.  

• Like 2

Around here dew points are in the 70s. Yuck. When I look at 10 day for places like Anchorage and Ketchikan, I see big swings in temperatures (mid 50s - near 70) and maybe a tic into the upper 70s (Talkeetna). But the one thing that seems to be relatively constant is the dew points. Mid 50s all 10 days. That to me seems like " would dictate shorts, jeans, flip flops, and short sleeved shorts with a light sweater/sweatshirt or two ". Again, like you I'm warm natured - did not need a jacket on the bow of 33 foot whale watch boat in low 50s on the water - just me. Throw in a light weight Gore-Tex rain jacket for an extra layer of warmth. Ditto on what Mapleleaves says.

Edited by masterdrago
  • Like 1

The water temp if you go whale watching is about 43 degrees, if the boat is moving at 15-20 MPH and there is wind you have high cold humidity. If its sunny and no wind its just the chill of the water. Juneau is a rain forest, about 270 days of rain a year; it could be sunny in the morning rain for a few hours mid  day and clear up.

In Skagway a few months ago we took a bus from the port into the Yukon. Skagway was about 45 or 50 that morning and sunny by the time we were near the top of the pass everyone had layered "down" as it was warm and shirt with a light cover weather, at the dog training site it was 70 degrees. All the lakes were beautiful and calm, coming back as we got close to Skagway it was dark and overcat, wind coming out of the mountain and cold.

In Icy Strait when we went whale watching it was chilly but sunny, later in the day walking back to the ship it was raining and getting cold at 3 in the afternoon.

I was sick in Juneau so missed my 9 hour boat ride to Tracy arm but that was up close to the glacier and was chilly from everyone I spoke to.

If you go whale watching on one of the big catamaran and with 50 people those are covered inside and not exposed to the elements.

If you get up on the decks early going into see glaciers it can get cold and windy and wet, if you are down below it can be completely comfortable in the ship.

It really depends on what your excursions are and the weather that day and where on the ship you want to be to see the sites. I had my down coat on early some mornings (5-6 am) on my balcony as we came into glaciers or ports. Other times I was in short sleeve polo shirts. Be prepared an layer

• Like 1

We got back from our July 5th cruise, and Alaska was having record high temp.  The sea days were windy and cool.  I would wear a long sleeve t-shirt, jeans, jacket (not a winter coat) and hat on those days.  In port, we had t-shirts and cargo pants, and would carry a sweatshirt.  Like everyone says, layers are the key.  

Enjoy!!!!

• Like 1

I wore shorts on my back-to-back cruises in July except for wearing jeans on the days we were near the glaciers. I had a knit hat and gloves, sweatshirt, and light windbreaker. I needed the sweatshirt just one the northbound cruise. 

• Like 1

Here is a picture from 1 year ago (July 17, 2018, leaving Dawes Glacier on EOS) It was nice in the glacier, nice later on in the day but up on deck trying to get some whales out front it was very cold and wet

20180717_103730.thumb.jpg.d233d4e6c85c84c9a944b92c0ad2e740.jpg

• Like 1

My friend has a great set of photos...on glacier viewing day she is all bundled up...as covered as covered can be from head to toe...looking like she is freezing...and then later...on her balcony...away from the wind and in the sunshine, she is wearing a tank top. Photos are taken with hours of each other.

Alaska weather is variable. As PP have posted. You come prepared. The outer layers are that...outer...and able to be repeated as necessary. And you plan the base for how you think you will feel in the general trend of temperatures. As so many have stated...the layers are Base, Warmth (if needed), Protection (if needed). Wear something comfortable as the base. Add a layer of warmth, if needed. Add some protection (wind and water...if needed). That's Alaska. One minute you wear X, Y, and Z...and minutes later you strip to whatever is comfortable...only to "reapply" as needed when the sun goes behind the clouds and the wind/rain kicks up.

Happy Sailing!!!

Edited by Anita Latte
  • Like 3

On 7/19/2019 at 4:07 PM, JPelletier said:

Cruising on the NCL Jewel from Vancouver to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, and Seward then 3 days interior to Anchorage and Denali on the 29th... The 10 day forecasts are beginning to come into play and beyond Skagway listing 59 as the high all our other stops are between 65-75.  So is this really what the temps will feel like?  I am a fairly warm person so these temps would dictate shorts, jeans, flip flops, and short sleeved shorts with a light sweater/sweatshirt or two.. I would hate to lug tons of extra pounds of heavier sweaters, etc if not necessary but I would also hate to be FREEZING cold lmao! Thanks for any input or advice!

I too am warm natured and on our trip, both inland and the cruise, I pretty much wore shorts all the time, and kept a lightweight jacket handy for chilly or windy days.  Did wear jeans when we went into Denali, and also for Hubbard Glacier, but that was about it.  Like everyone says...layer, and don't worry about bringing fewer heavier clothes and then using them multiple times as needed.  We definitely brought more than what we really needed.  Now we know for next time!

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this topic, its record breaking heat here in Boston today ... Heat index of 110 ! and I am trying to figure out what i need to pack ( leave on Aug 31 and are doing cruise plus 5 days land ).  

My husband is planning to take his parka that goes to minus 25 degrees. ( Help me ).  It's like his rain jacket that he carried almost every day in Paris ( OK - stuffed into my bag).

These responses have been very helpful.  

• Like 2

Take layers. That being said, I just got back from an AK cruise. I never broke out my fleece, wool shirt or other gear, except a rain jacket for a few drizzly days. It was 60 degrees the whole trip and even though I am cold natured, I wore a short sleeve shirt every day, except on Hubbard Glacier day. That day felt like we were in the freezer!

• Like 1

I'm taking the Jewel also on the 29th. 

I'm carry on only (but I stuff good!). 

Honestly, Glacier Bay day and my cruise in Seward are the outliers for me. I'm someone who would rather be cold than overheated tbh, and wear shorts as often as I can. 

In any case I'm bringing a good mix of pants with shorts, a fleece coat, a windbreaker, a couple hoodies, and a short bomber style jacket that is thick. 

Edited by FaithPlus1
  • Like 2