Help me feel better about Belize and Mohogany Bay

Thad409

On 7/28/2019 at 7:14 PM, beachbum6264 said:

For Belize: There are excursions you can book through Carnival that pick you up from the ship, no reason to even go into Belize City. We loved Cay Caulker (although we didn't do it on an excursion, we walked through Belize City to the water taxi and took it over. Never felt unsafe).

For Mahogany Bay - there are lots of things to do there, or just stay in the port area, it's all owned by Carnival. We usually go to Maya Key - you have to book that through Carnival now, but it's a private island, small beach, a small zoo area, a small beach, a pool, and some fabulous snorkeling. 

3 carnival excursions pick you up at the ship in Belize,,

1 Barrier Reef Snorkel & Starfish Island Getaway

2 Barrier Reef Snorkel & Starfish Island Getaway

3 Starfish Private Island Getaway with Lunch

5 hours ago, mdwcruises said:

Book excursions in Belize and you will be fine.  As for Mo Bay you can make it an easy beach day.  

I guess by Mo Bay you mean Mahogany Bay, which was originally spelled wrong in the headline.

Mo Bay is the shortened form of Montego Bay in Jamaica.

Anyway, you gave good advice.

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2019 at 7:05 PM, Thad409 said:

I'm thinking about changing my Itinerary, My DW was wanting to go somewhere else so I booked June of 2020 on the Glory, but my DW has read a few negatives on safety at theses ports and isn't to sure of our booking know. 

Personally, we try to cruise an itinerary without Belize City, our least favorite Carnival Stop!

At the port I usually sit at a bar and enjoy a few local beers while my wife shops at the port which is pretty cheap.

That being said, there are 3 Carnival excursions that pick you up at the ship in Belize,,

1 Barrier Reef Snorkel & Starfish Island Getaway

2 Barrier Reef Snorkel & Starfish Island Getaway

3 Starfish Private Island Getaway with Lunch

12 hours ago, coevan said:

you nailed it too on cruise guests wanting to eat at U.S. chain restaurants, I never understood this. You are in a foreign country, eat local food and beer. Margaritaville is mediocre and over priced

If all the Margaritavilles were lined up one after the other, and you went to each one, could you tell what country they came from?  Same with Senor Frog's or whatever other chain bars are out there?

On 7/30/2019 at 10:50 PM, wardamnweagle said:

Snorkeling is great in Honduras

5E7869EF-7AA8-4DBC-A28F-9E80217C428D.jpeg.e0019404d4582ad4a3fed6a5f0ddac32.jpeg

And Altun Ha didn’t feel insignificant when I was standing up there looking down

997D866E-0F9D-4FDD-8A32-183A36FC0091.jpeg.f07b4a9cc9e4caeb8fb6ebb18976eb95.jpeg

Keep your wits about you and have fun!

Glad you enjoyed your Altun Ha experience.  In places like Xanantunich and Lamanai, the temples are about 5 times taller, and when you stand on top of one of them, you tower over the other buildings and can see the design of the town they belonged to.....and forget about Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza which are accessed in other areas......Chichen Itza is 740 acres large....the temple in Coba is so high that the tree tops seem like seedlings below you.  Tulum in the Yucatan was a major trading sea port and that town is well preserved....

In comparision to these and other Mayan sites in Guatamala,  Altun Ha is miniscule and of minor historical importance.

6 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

We are very adventurous, and generally do local tours usually off the beaten path, but I still say no thanks to Belize.  One and done cave tubing.  Sorry just my opinion, and mostly a gut feeling.  Dh has a stronger opinion on Belize than I do.  Lol. We love Nassau and a lot of people feel unsafe there.  We don’t.  In Dominican Republic, we feel a bit unsafe, but there it is more that we do not love the place.  But Belize... there is something really off about Belize.  Multiple checkpoints in the road by guys wearing military garb holding huge machine guns standing in the back of a pick up truck= no thanks.   It is the only place where we wouldn’t get off the ship again.  Interesting but I saw this recently.  Can I put a link?

https://nypost.com/2019/06/26/doctor-one-of-several-people-killed-during-week-long-bloodbath-in-belize/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7179651/Virginia-doctor-fatally-shot-fishing-trip-Belize.html

Better not come to NYC then.  We have armed militia of all types prominently stationed in places like Grand Central Station and all around Times Square and Ground Zero.  There's even more stationed behind the scenes, ready to intervene at a moments notice if there is an incident.

Want us to post some headlines about No'rleans?  Easy enough to find........way more nasty stories in NOLA. than Belize.  But I'll still visit there, and go most everywhere except urine and vomit smelling Bourbon Street at night.

10 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

We are very adventurous, and generally do local tours usually off the beaten path, but I still say no thanks to Belize.  One and done cave tubing.  Sorry just my opinion, and mostly a gut feeling.  Dh has a stronger opinion on Belize than I do.  Lol. We love Nassau and a lot of people feel unsafe there.  We don’t.  In Dominican Republic, we feel a bit unsafe, but there it is more that we do not love the place.  But Belize... there is something really off about Belize.  Multiple checkpoints in the road by guys wearing military garb holding huge machine guns standing in the back of a pick up truck= no thanks.   It is the only place where we wouldn’t get off the ship again.  Interesting but I saw this recently.  Can I put a link?

https://nypost.com/2019/06/26/doctor-one-of-several-people-killed-during-week-long-bloodbath-in-belize/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7179651/Virginia-doctor-fatally-shot-fishing-trip-Belize.html

Both of those are right wing news organizations with agendas.  They wish to portray the rest of the world as unsafe and create a bunker mentality in the US and UK.  Now, I am excited for Belize and hope to ask locals about the violence (and how real it is).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, evandbob said:

Better not come to NYC then.  We have armed militia of all types prominently stationed in places like Grand Central Station and all around Times Square and Ground Zero.  There's even more stationed behind the scenes, ready to intervene at a moments notice if there is an incident.

Want us to post some headlines about No'rleans?  Easy enough to find........way more nasty stories in NOLA. than Belize.  But I'll still visit there, and go most everywhere except urine and vomit smelling Bourbon Street at night.

No.  In NYC there are armed NYPD all over the place.  Big difference.  I go to NYC all the time for work.  And I’ve lived in NOLA.  Nothing compared to Belize.  Lol.

44 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

Both of those are right wing news organizations with agendas.  They wish to portray the rest of the world as unsafe and create a bunker mentality in the US and UK.  Now, I am excited for Belize and hope to ask locals about the violence (and how real it is).

Good lord.  Not right wing at all.  Same articles all over the news.  

Are these two links  “left wing” enough for you?  

https://www.roanoke.com/news/crime/roanoke-doctor-killed-during-fishing-trip-in-belize/article_32935706-29bf-5f74-b4b5-1c1c4fb6aa29.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/prominent-virginia-doctor-his-tour-guide-murdered-belize-n1021441

• Like 1

On Roatan last year, we booked a custom (driver-for-a-day) tour with Bodden and went to Victor's Monkey Business and did some snorkeling as well as some sightseeing.  Never felt unsafe.  Didn't go to the Carnival beach at all.  We skipped Belize though - not really for the safety concern as much as it was that most excursions had a lot of transit time on the tenders and buses.

On 8/2/2019 at 8:28 AM, AmBear said:

At the port I usually sit at a bar and enjoy a few local beers while my wife shops at the port which is pretty cheap. 

My wife and I enjoy checking out bars and local beers when we are at a port. At Belize, we always go to the Lazy Lizard for nachos and Belikin beer. This place alone makes Belize an okay port in my book, although I am not crazy about the time it takes to tender from the ship to the port (and back again). 

• 5 weeks later...

I had the same concerns as you.. I did a lot of research and have chosen to use Victor Bodden tours for Mahogany Bay and then the starfish snorkel in Belize. I am not too worried, no one wants a fat, old lady (LOL). Have fun, just be aware of your surroundings.

I'm thinking about changing my Itinerary, My DW was wanting to go somewhere else so I booked June of 2020 on the Glory, but my DW has read a few negatives on safety at theses ports and isn't to sure of our booking know. 

Excursions are really all about what you like to do!

Belize is up to you, read about it, experience it, we don't do Belize anymore outside the port! For us, we don't feel safe, or like Belize City!

If there was an excursion that went directly from the ship to Ambergris Caye, we'd try that for the beach.

Others will say Belize is safe, so as I said, its up to you!

The others ports on the west cruise seem safe to us, and we enjoy a lot more, again, personal preference! They have nice beaches, and we're beach people!

I have 2 teenagers that loved Maya Cay so much, we did the same exact cruise the next summer. Belize was another Carnival excursion to Starfish Island I think for snorkeling.  We had a great time!  Never actually went in port so can't speak to that. Maya Cay in Roatan is hands down our favorite excursion.  Fabulous snorkeling and a small zoo with rescued animals.  Even the lunch was good!  Beautiful pool and "ruins".  

We did the Cave Tour in Belize and Little French Key in Roatan! Both were amazing. When driving through Belize it was very run down, and  I certainly would not want to walk around in that area. We never felt unsafe at either place. Had a great time. I think we booked privately for both, but I think you can book through Carnival for both.

Edited by Sun4Me2Please

AFA Belize, we go outside the gate take a water taxi to Cay Calker, wander around get some seafood and a few drinks, then head back to the ship a few hours before departure.  Always fun.

As to  those who say "they are adventurous, but won't go outside the gate a Belize";   No you're not.

• 1 month later...

I was recently on the Glory (September 1-8), and visited these ports on September 4 (Belize) and 5 (Isla Roatan/Mahoganny Bay).  I booked excursions independently of Carnival for both locations.  The only concern I had was getting back to the ship on time, which in hindsight, was completely unfounded.

For point of reference, I did the cave tubing excursion (solo) through Butts Up! (Belize) and brought my 78 y/o mother to the Daniel Johnson Monkey and Sloth Hangout in Isla Roatan.  It was a definite highlight of her cruise.

20190905_101530.jpg

20190905_104304.jpg

20190905_105648.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/2/2019 at 2:05 PM, Cafedumonde said:

No.  In NYC there are armed NYPD all over the place.  Big difference.  I go to NYC all the time for work.  And I’ve lived in NOLA.  Nothing compared to Belize.  Lol.

Actually there are military guardsmen in in Penn Station (& other areas) all the time. Not to say NYC = Belize at all. Just sayin' I'm sure to tourists in NYC it can be jarring.

To the OP,  we loved Roatan & Belize! Highly recommend cave tubing in Belize- we used Cave Tubing.BZ. They were excellent! In Roatan we used Victor Bodden to see the monkey house. LOVED the sloth! Then we went to the beach. Too many vendors for my taste but otherwise a nice enough beach. Our driver stayed close by keeping an eye out. Never felt particularly unsafe. Just use caution & do your research! Don't miss out on two lovely places because of some bad reviews!

My husband and I have taken land vacations to Roatan. We considered retiring there. We cruise in 3 weeks. Our plan for Roatan is to take a taxi to town. Eat at a local restaurant we have come to love, then take a water taxi to the beach. Hint...In Roatan all beaches are free. It is not necessary to go through a hotel to get beach access.

We had a great time, but we booked with number one rated on Trip Advisor, David Castillo of https://www.altournativebelizeservices.com/. We did NOT book through the ship and it was great!

We had a private tour with him (7 adults) to Altun Ha Mayan Ruins. We had an awesome time. Next time, we will probably do river tubing and Lamanai River tour Mayan Ruin.  With so many different tours to choose from, King David is your man. We felt safe, came back with knowledge, and had so much fun doing it. I love doing independent tours, because I hate being herded like cattle. Also, I feel we come away better people and take a piece of the country in our hearts because of our guides like David Castillo. 

Check out my post on our excursion with King David https://gallivantingsouls.com/belize-city-excursion-review-altun-ha/ and my Interview with King David https://gallivantingsouls.com/interview-king-david-altournative-belize-services/.

(Small tangent )

Sadly, you cannot book right from Tripadvisor or Viator. These big companies want to take a huge chunk from local tour operators. Do yourself a favor, whether you book with Kind David in Belize or Mr J in Timbuck 2, try and book directly with the operator. Most allow for you to either put down a small deposit via PayPal, or pay in cash day of. When thinking that it is wrong to have to put a deposit down just know that if your ship is a no show, you will be refunded. If you just decide to be a no show, your small deposit is being used for the tour operators to either secure a large enough vehicle for your group, or hire the needed guides to take you, so when you do show up, these tour operators still have to pay these costs.

(end of tangent). Thanks for reading!

20181220_134934_HDR.jpg

20181220_110743_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181220_104847.jpg

You don't have to venture out in Mohagony Bay to have a good time. You can just take the airlift to a nearby beach (which I think is pretty decent). and have a lot of fun.

All islands/countries (even USA) have places that are unsafe. You just have to try to stay within a certain boundary. Go to tourist areas.

1 hour ago, Jamericannn said:

You don't have to venture out in Mohagony Bay to have a good time. You can just take the airlift to a nearby beach (which I think is pretty decent). and have a lot of fun.

All islands/countries (even USA) have places that are unsafe. You just have to try to stay within a certain boundary. Go to tourist areas.

air lift???