Help me feel better about Belize and Mohogany Bay

Thad409

Here is my perspective as a grandmother who cruised many times with just my grandson.  We have been to Roatan and Belize at least 10 times via cruise ship.

Before Carnival built a new dock area with stores, bars, beach, etc., we booked Carnival excursions in Roatan to Tabyana Beach and felt very comfortable and safe.  The beach is beautiful, water is clean, good snorkeling right off the beach, Tiki bar, hair braiding, massages, small buffet, clean restrooms (very important to me), etc.  When my daughter traveled with us, she and my grandson booked the Carnival zip lining excursion and loved it.  I went to the beach adjacent to the dock area and they met me there after their excursion.  While I was at the beach, a woman sitting in a chair in back of me called Security because someone stole her backpack while she was in the water.  There are strangers walking up and down the rows of chairs with menus for drinks and food.  There is constant activity in and around your chair and diligence is required even at this beach located in the Carnival port area.

On our stops at Belize, we booked snorkel excursions on boats that picked us up and dropped us off at the ship.  This is a tender port which is a 15-20 minute ride from the ship.  The port area, in my opinion, is not a place I would go to alone.  There are a few stores and bars and a lot of people milling around and leaning on buildings and watching people as they exit the tender boat.  When my family joined me on a cruise, we booked a bus tour to Altun Ha and it was a miserable hour ride over bumpy roads to the ruins.  I proceeded to the restroom and the entire floor was flooded and no toilet tissue and it smelled nasty.  The ruins were interesting to see but it was a climb to get to them and it was hot, humid and buggy (bring Off wipes or spray).  I was not looking forward to the bumpy hour ride back to the ship.

My experiences are those of a woman, grandmother, and guardian of my grandson and who travels alone frequently.  When I read some reviews, people say, well, just take a bus to such and such beach or go the the ruins, blah, blah.  There are no details, nothing I can relate to.  i want to know if it's safe for a single, elderly, woman traveling alone or with children, I want to know if there are clean restrooms (I am not going to the bathroom behind a bush), is there food and beverages available, etc.  

I have been to many countries and Belize is #1 on my list of countries where I have felt chills down my spine as soon as I stepped off the tender and all my senses were in high alert.

My recommendation for any port that you visit is, don't leave your brains home.  Be aware of your surroundings and people around you, book excursions through Carnival or well established and recommended tour operators (something I have never done and I'm Diamond on Carnival) but other cruisers have no problems with this.  Also, a male might have a different perspective than a female.  When I have traveled with a group, we are more adventurous but I am still very much aware of my surroundings and only cruise to the eastern or southern Caribbean now.

18 hours ago, coevan said:

I posted in your deposit post, Belize is great.

I thought Belize was a dump but didn't feel unsafe.they have guards that stand 4'10"tall with m-16's why would you feel unsafe.i would definitely take an excursion there .it was one of two excursions I have ever done through the ship.mostly because it was 8 hours long.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, scpirate said:

I thought Belize was a dump but didn't feel unsafe.they have guards that stand 4'10"tall with m-16's why would you feel unsafe.i would definitely take an excursion there .it was one of two excursions I have ever done through the ship.mostly because it was 8 hours long.

Sadly, I sort of thought the same thing. I didn't feel unsafe, but I thought Belize City was pretty dumpy compared to other places I have been. That's why I plan to do the snorkeling to the barrier reef next time.

There is no reason to go to Belize City. Most tours leave from the cruise area either by boat or bus.

11 minutes ago, scpirate said:

I thought Belize was a dump

you apparently did not go to the Cays, The islands are stunning with crystal clear waters, very friendly locals and exceptional diving and snorkeling. There are parts of St.Thomas that are a dump too, but why would you think of venturing in the wrong neighborhood. 

• Like 1

Belize is one of our favorite countries.  We liked it so much after a cruise ship stop we booked a land-based vacation there.  I've never felt unsafe.   For a first time stop I highly recommend the cave tubing.   We had a blast!

Roatan is also a family favorite.   We have friends who live there so we take advantage of the cruise ship stop to see them.  Again, we've never felt unsafe there either.

Belize and Roatan were our favorite stops! Another vote for King David.  He is hands down the best in Belize. We did Altun Ha and cave tubing. Magnificent experience. Personalized and enjoyed the caves completely to ourselves. One of the best excursions we have had.

I also agree with Little French Key. Paradise found! We booked with Ronys Tours, and he took us to the local sloth/monkey/eco Manawakie Park. Another simply amazing day. 

Go, you will love it!

We spend two weeks in Belize at a great resort called Hamansi - did all kinds of things.  If time is short, I would recommend the ruins too.  We spent our anniversary at a spot they translate to "place of ticks".  It's still a memory we talk about.  OH - and we didn't see any ticks :)

4 hours ago, tattoos said:

Here is my perspective as a grandmother who cruised many times with just my grandson.  We have been to Roatan and Belize at least 10 times via cruise ship.

Before Carnival built a new dock area with stores, bars, beach, etc., we booked Carnival excursions in Roatan to Tabyana Beach and felt very comfortable and safe.  The beach is beautiful, water is clean, good snorkeling right off the beach, Tiki bar, hair braiding, massages, small buffet, clean restrooms (very important to me), etc.  When my daughter traveled with us, she and my grandson booked the Carnival zip lining excursion and loved it.  I went to the beach adjacent to the dock area and they met me there after their excursion.  While I was at the beach, a woman sitting in a chair in back of me called Security because someone stole her backpack while she was in the water.  There are strangers walking up and down the rows of chairs with menus for drinks and food.  There is constant activity in and around your chair and diligence is required even at this beach located in the Carnival port area.

On our stops at Belize, we booked snorkel excursions on boats that picked us up and dropped us off at the ship.  This is a tender port which is a 15-20 minute ride from the ship.  The port area, in my opinion, is not a place I would go to alone.  There are a few stores and bars and a lot of people milling around and leaning on buildings and watching people as they exit the tender boat.  When my family joined me on a cruise, we booked a bus tour to Altun Ha and it was a miserable hour ride over bumpy roads to the ruins.  I proceeded to the restroom and the entire floor was flooded and no toilet tissue and it smelled nasty.  The ruins were interesting to see but it was a climb to get to them and it was hot, humid and buggy (bring Off wipes or spray).  I was not looking forward to the bumpy hour ride back to the ship.

My experiences are those of a woman, grandmother, and guardian of my grandson and who travels alone frequently.  When I read some reviews, people say, well, just take a bus to such and such beach or go the the ruins, blah, blah.  There are no details, nothing I can relate to.  i want to know if it's safe for a single, elderly, woman traveling alone or with children, I want to know if there are clean restrooms (I am not going to the bathroom behind a bush), is there food and beverages available, etc.  

I have been to many countries and Belize is #1 on my list of countries where I have felt chills down my spine as soon as I stepped off the tender and all my senses were in high alert.

My recommendation for any port that you visit is, don't leave your brains home.  Be aware of your surroundings and people around you, book excursions through Carnival or well established and recommended tour operators (something I have never done and I'm Diamond on Carnival) but other cruisers have no problems with this.  Also, a male might have a different perspective than a female.  When I have traveled with a group, we are more adventurous but I am still very much aware of my surroundings and only cruise to the eastern or southern Caribbean now.

Thank you so much for the insight and your experiences at these 2 ports., points taken and will be remembered.  

12 hours ago, ishap said:

In Belieze we did the River Boat tour and Mayan ruins.  Even my kids loved it.  Got to see a lot of wildlife on the river and even climb up the Mayan temples.

Mahongay Bay...just stay in the port and enjoy the beach.

Altun Ha ruins are minor and insignificant, Lamanai and Xanantunich are much grander and extensive.  The river cruise part was the most fun on that excursion.

The beach at the port in Mahogany Bay used to be called Coral Cay, then Carnival leased it and imported a bunch of ground limestone to masquerade as sand.  It felt real slimy when I stood in their cloudy water.  So many better places to find a real caribbean beach, like Tabayana, Little French Key or Maya Key.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, aknguyen said:

The day we spent at the beach in Mahogany Bay was the best day of any vacation my family has ever had. Don't lose the opportunity on fear. It was awesome.

If you return, go enjoy another beach on the isle, you'll appreciate the upgrade. And what's to fear inside of Carnival's port, that's why they built it, to keep pax and their money within Carnival's reach.  Carnival does promote the fear factor if you think of leaving their confines, but wht they are afraid of is your money leaving them.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tattoos said:

Wow, the port area of Belize is restricted to security,  tour venders and store employees, how can anyone feel unsafe within its confines?  Do store employees in Macy*s or Kohl's or Target back home intimidate you too?

There are security guards who introduce themselves to you when you arrive at Tabayana, and they will watch your stuff while you snorkel or swim, or walk the beach. Talk with them and tip them a few.  I bring a can of cashews to my friend Albert who loves them but says they are priced exhorbitantly on the isle.  Never had an issue leaving my stuff on a lounger with him watching.  

I don't pick the first row though, thats where the vendors and everyone else walks by, I'm usually in the 3rd row of loungers or so.

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1

Okay, I read all the positive things about Belize for the OP to consider, but I have to share what happened to my 20 year old granddaughter in Belize. We were all on a family cruise, on a NCL ship, that docked in Harvest Caye, a private beach island developed by NCL. My granddaughter and her boyfriend took a ferry into mainland Belize and went to a beachside bar. They struck up a conversation with another young man that said he was a local and owned a boat. He said he’d be happy to give them a tour, so they followed him to his boat. The young man helped my granddaughter into boat, but quickly took off before the boyfriend could get in. Police nearby heard her and the boyfriends screams, and they intercepted the boat and rescued my granddaughter and took the young man into custody. The police warned my granddaughter that Belize has a BIG problem with human trafficking, and to be very cautious who you accept a tour from. So my advice, if taking any excursion in Belize, stick to cruise line sponsored excursions, for the most safety. But if you always look for a third party tour, choose one online with a great reputation. And stay cautious, and safe. 

As for Roatan, our two visits there were with NCL and we did cruise line tours to Maya Key and Tabayana Beach, both good choices. But my cruise in February will be on the Carnival Glory to Mahogany Bay, and I’m just staying out there. I purchased the beach getaway package that includes 2 loungers, one clamshell, 2 unlimited chair lift ticket rides, and water floats, for only $64.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, evandbob said:

Altun Ha ruins are minor and insignificant, Lamanai and Xanantunich are much grander and extensive.  The river cruise part was the most fun on that excursion.

The beach at the port in Mahogany Bay used to be called Coral Cay, then Carnival leased it and imported a bunch of ground limestone to masquerade as sand.  It felt real slimy when I stood in their cloudy water.  So many better places to find a real caribbean beach, like Tabayana, Little French Key or Maya Key.

Your comments may be correct, but since the OP is going to these ports I'm trying to give positives.  

17 hours ago, Darcy03231 said:

Belize is one of our favorite countries.  We liked it so much after a cruise ship stop we booked a land-based vacation there.  I've never felt unsafe.   For a first time stop I highly recommend the cave tubing.   We had a blast!

Roatan is also a family favorite.   We have friends who live there so we take advantage of the cruise ship stop to see them.  Again, we've never felt unsafe there either.

My 1st cruise ever, I went on a Shark Ray Alley excursion in Ambergris Cay on the isle of San Pedro in Belize and returned a few years later for a week long stay.

In Roatan, we've stayed at Infinity Bay right next to Tabayana twice for week long vacations.

We would go back to either in a heartbeat.

16 minutes ago, evandbob said:

My 1st cruise ever, I went on a Shark Ray Alley excursion in Ambergris Cay on the isle of San Pedro in Belize and returned a few years later for a week long stay.

In Roatan, we've stayed at Infinity Bay right next to Tabayana twice for week long vacations.

We would go back to either in a heartbeat.

We did 5 days at Turtle Inn in Plascencia and then 5 days out on Caye Caulker.   I still think it's one of the best trips we've ever done.   On subsequent cruise ship stops we head right for the water taxi and spend the day out on Caye Caulker.    

Both are great and very beautiful.  Like others said just don't "wander".   In Belize we have done a Beliken beer tour and my husband went cave tubing while I stayed on the ship and ran the water slides with my son.  In Honduras we have been to Gumbalimba Park and Mahogany Bay.  

We enjoyed both when we went. We used a local company Viv tours to do a cave tubing trip in Belize and it was phenomenal! Even booking it with carnival would probably be amazing! We never felt unsafe there. 

In Roatan, we just did a beach day. We brought our own snorkeling gear and enjoyed the beach area that's just off from where the ship docked. It was really lovely. 

I would go back to either for a land vacation with no more concern than going to a major city in the US.  Be smart about staying in a group and not going off with strangers.  Cave tubing in Belize was great and snorkeling in both Belize and Roatan is amazing.  Roatan monkey/sloth/iguana tour was also great.    

Because you're nervous, for Roatan, look at Gumbalina Park- you get a walking tour and get to play with some monkeys and hold some birds- but it is mostly (or all?) cruise passengers. Also, look at the West Bay beaches- they are all resorts, so mostly tourists.  There's a ship excursion that does the Park followed by Tabyana Beach- they're both nice places to visit, and you'll have your fellow cruisers with you. 

For Belize, you really want to get out of the city.  The city doesn't have much in the way of tourism. For at least some of the Carnival excursions to the snorkeling areas, you meet in the cruise port, and are put on a boat- you never go the the city.

For both these ports, I would leave the port area, and do something.  There's a lot to do in both places.  Just read some reviews, decide on your level of comfort, and give it a try. 

I will have these stops on our November cruise and I felt wary at first too.  I plan to take the water taxi to Caye Caulker in Belize.  I've read plenty of good reviews about doing this and it seems safe and easy. 

I'm not planning an excursion in Roatan because I'll have my very own private tour guide!  My aunt and uncle just retired and moved to Roatan three days ago!  They love it so far.  I know they researched and visited many Caribbean islands before deciding on Roatan.  I trust their judgment since they decided it was the perfect place to retire.  :)

Enjoy your cruise!

evandbob:  I'm not intimidated by retail store employees in the U.S., I just don't trust them. 

All I'm saying in response to all the flippant remarks is to be aware of your surroundings and the people you are interacting with in strange countries and do not leave your children unattended.  Do your homework before you leave home and have a back-up plan. 

As far as safety is concerned, my father was a firefighter and taught us at a young age to look for and remember where the exit or emergency doors are when going into any retail business, restaurant, theme park, etc., and if it is a closed structure, make sure we know where the exit was if we had to crawl on the floor to get there.  Every house we lived in, we had an escape route in case of an emergency.  As an adult, the first thing I look for when entering a strange building, is the emergency escape exit.  My Dad's training on this and other safety training has instilled a procedure that I have followed my entire life.  Maybe that is why I am super vigilant when traveling.

Thanks, Dad, your wisdom has saved my butt quite a few times..

We went to the Lamanai ruins in Belize, and they were amazing.  Our ship was unable to make port in Roatan.  We were so disappointed to miss it that we spent our entire spring break in Roatan this past year, and it was amazing.  We felt safe 100% of the time, though we spent most of our time snorkeling or wandering around West Bay.  We did spend a day with Victor Boddens tour driver (one of them) where we held sloths and basically just told him to take us everywhere we needed to see on the island.  There is still more to be done, so we will be stopping at both places again in 2020.  We did all of this with our 13 year old son - that's how safe we felt.  Have fun!  Don't wander into any back alleys, and you'll be fine - just like any city in the US.  :-)