Fear of flying

NCteacherlovescruising

We are flying to our next cruise, which is the end of this month. I am terrified of planes and haven’t been on one for 14 years. I plan to ask my doctor for some type of chill pill to help me relax for the flight. It’s only a 2 hour flight and once we land I want to tour NYC so I don’t want to be groggy. My daughter is a nurse and told me to ask her for Ativan. Have any of you tried it to calm your nerves for flying and did it help?

Ativan takes about 30-60 minutes to show any sign of relief for anxiety....However it can take up to 8 hours or more to be eliminated from your body....so this is very specific to you personally. Talk with your physician about what's best for you and alternatives.

I'm a bit surprised that your daughter (nurse) wouldn't suggest something milder considering the time frame...but again this is a discussion you should be having with your health care professional.

This is not the place to get medical advice.    And if you really think a pill is going to solve your problems you are mistaken.   As a former practitioner-  I didn’t like the extended effects mentioned above.    But a further point. Think carefully and consider something else.  There is going to be no way out- what are you going to do when time stands still??   

Be honest and reality based with yourself.   

• Thanks 1

I also have apprehension about flying. My Doctor prescribes Valium whenever I have to fly. It doesn't make me sleepy and doesn't leave me groggy, but that is how it effects me, everyone is different. I am relaxed and able to fly with no problems. My advise, for what it is worth, is to discuss it with your Doctor, who is aware of any conditions you have and what current medications you are taking. 

Every person is different. And I would not suggest that the best time to try a new drug is before getting on an airplane. 

So if you need to have medicine start trying some now. 

Or, realize that your fear is stopping you from doing awesome things and seeing amazing places and work on overcoming your fear instead of trying to just hide it. A fear of flying is pretty common, but nevertheless irrational. If you are not afraid to get in your car or even hop in the shower then a fear of flying statistically makes no sense. 

Think of it this way, there is almost nothing you will do in your life that is safer than getting onto a United States regularly scheduled airline flight. Since 2010 a total of one person has died due to injuries as a passenger on a U.S. airline flight. ONE. Taking a shower or eating fried chicken or a piece of sushi is thousands of times more dangerous than getting on this flight you have scheduled. 

There are a lot of programs out there for fear of flying to try to overcome the fear, and not just try to medicate it. 

Edited by Flymia

OP needs help for an upcoming flight that is in the near future.   Overcoming fear of flying is a wonderful suggestion for the future, but won't help at the end of the month - there isn't enough time to complete a program.  

Tami, I would talk to the doctor.  Your doctor knows you best and is in the best position to help you.   You aren't alone in this and I'll bet money that you're not the first patient that has asked for help.   Be sure to ask for the short term help on this immediate flight, but also for long term help to open up the future for you.  

Enjoy your cruise.

On 7/31/2019 at 10:18 PM, fbgd said:

CLT-NYC is maybe 75mins, it's one of my most regular routes.

Our confirmation says 6-8, I’m just going by that. 

Why not drive or take the train if flying is that stressful?

I haven’t been on a plane for 14 years because of my fear of flying. Now that I have neuropathy, long drives are a bit uncomfortable. Besides, we don’t have much time off work and we wanted to have a day in NYC before our cruise. I did check trains but they were more expensive and took much longer than driving. 

On 8/1/2019 at 1:32 AM, Ashland said:

Ativan takes about 30-60 minutes to show any sign of relief for anxiety....However it can take up to 8 hours or more to be eliminated from your body....so this is very specific to you personally. Talk with your physician about what's best for you and alternatives.

Are you saying I won’t be able to function for 8 hours?  I just called my doctors office and she called in Ativan. 

On 8/1/2019 at 1:32 AM, Ashland said:

I'm a bit surprised that your daughter (nurse) wouldn't suggest something milder considering the time frame...but again this is a discussion you should be having with your health care professional.

My daughter knows how anxious I can get, as can she. 

On 8/1/2019 at 1:44 PM, Budget Queen said:

This is not the place to get medical advice.    

All i I asked was for someone else’s experience with Ativan and flying, not advice. 

There is going to be no way out- what are you going to do when time stands still??   

I don’t understand what you’re saying. 

Be honest and reality based with yourself.   

Still don’t get your point. 

On 8/1/2019 at 6:02 PM, Debbdo said:

I also have apprehension about flying. My Doctor prescribes Valium whenever I have to fly. It doesn't make me sleepy and doesn't leave me groggy, but that is how it effects me, everyone is different. I am relaxed and able to fly with no problems. My advise, for what it is worth, is to discuss it with your Doctor, who is aware of any conditions you have and what current medications you are taking. 

My doctor already prescribed Ativan. Perhaps next time I can ask for Valium or something else. 

On 8/2/2019 at 10:15 AM, Flymia said:

Every person is different. And I would not suggest that the best time to try a new drug is before getting on an airplane. 

So if you need to have medicine start trying some now. 

She gave me extra so so I plan on trying a half dose before we fly. I’d be too nervous to try something new before stepping on a plane in case it had some adverse effect on me. 

Or, realize that your fear is stopping you from doing awesome things and seeing amazing places and work on overcoming your fear instead of trying to just hide it. A fear of flying is pretty common, but nevertheless irrational. If you are not afraid to get in your car or even hop in the shower then a fear of flying statistically makes no sense. 

Think of it this way, there is almost nothing you will do in your life that is safer than getting onto a United States regularly scheduled airline flight. Since 2010 a total of one person has died due to injuries as a passenger on a U.S. airline flight. ONE. Taking a shower or eating fried chicken or a piece of sushi is thousands of times more dangerous than getting on this flight you have scheduled. 

I understand this, but it doesn’t erase my fears. 

There are a lot of programs out there for fear of flying to try to overcome the fear, and not just try to medicate it. 

Yes, I’m thinking about purchasing SOAR. 

On 8/2/2019 at 10:55 AM, dfish said:

OP needs help for an upcoming flight that is in the near future.   Overcoming fear of flying is a wonderful suggestion for the future, but won't help at the end of the month - there isn't enough time to complete a program.  

Tami, I would talk to the doctor.  Your doctor knows you best and is in the best position to help you.   You aren't alone in this and I'll bet money that you're not the first patient that has asked for help.   Be sure to ask for the short term help on this immediate flight, but also for long term help to open up the future for you.  

Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you!

CLT-NYC is maybe 75mins, it's one of my most regular routes.

10 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Our confirmation says 6-8, I’m just going by that.

The actual in-air time is probably around 75 min, but the flight confirmation will show 2-ish hours because that is the blocked time from gate to gate, i.e. from the minute the boarding door closes until the minute it opens on arrival.  It includes all the taxi time on both ends.

10 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Are you saying I won’t be able to function for 8 hours?  I just called my doctors office and she called in Ativan.

Everyone responds differently.  Try it well in advance of your trip, preferably a couple of times, to see how you react.

2 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

The actual in-air time is probably around 75 min, but the flight confirmation will show 2-ish hours because that is the blocked time from gate to gate, i.e. from the minute the boarding door closes until the minute it opens on arrival.  It includes all the taxi time on both ends.

Got ya!  It’s been so long I wasn’t sure what those times referred to. 

2 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Everyone responds differently.  Try it well in advance of your trip, preferably a couple of times, to see how you react.

I took .5 a little over an hour ago. So far I can’t say I feel any different, just relaxed but I had nothing to be stressed/anxious about. I’m not sleepy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tami; when you take your medicine on the day of your flight;  make sure you hold your husbands hand, and squeeze it tight if you feel an anxiety attack coming on.  You can do this; and you will get thru the flight.  Have fun in NY and on your cruise. Have your husband keep talking and holding your hand once they close the door and on taxi out.  This will help calm you down along with your medicine.  

Edited by AF-1
added txt
  • Thanks 1