Enhanced Drivers License Needed?

WCAB

I am taking my daughters on the California Coastal cruise that goes to Ensenada.  The agent confirmed they could travel with their birth certificate and drivers license 

but neither has obtained the enhanced drivers license as yet.  Does anyone know if the cruise line requires the enhanced copy yet or will their current drivers license

suffice?

27 minutes ago, WCAB said:

I am taking my daughters on the California Coastal cruise that goes to Ensenada.  The agent confirmed they could travel with their birth certificate and drivers license 

but neither has obtained the enhanced drivers license as yet.  Does anyone know if the cruise line requires the enhanced copy yet or will their current drivers license

suffice?

Regular drivers license is ok. Do make sure the birth certificates are originals, not copies. 

On a side note, I was in DMV last month (in Boise) to get my new drivers license. The line and wait time were horrendous. Hours long. 

Edited by idahospud

32 minutes ago, WCAB said:

suffice?

Only 5 states offer EDL ... Idaho  isn't one of them.

Real ID, or other approved doc (such as a passport) to be required Oct 2020 to board domestic flights and enter certain Federal facilities.  At this time, standard DL and BC would suffice.  

Edited by pms4104

13 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

Real ID, or other approved doc (such as a passport) to be required Oct 2020 to board domestic flights and enter certain Federal facilities.  At this time, standard DL and BC would suffice.  

Idaho does. I just got mine last month. 

Edit: misunderstood the question, thought the OP was talking about new Star Card drivers license. 

Edited by idahospud

The "original" BC can be an official copy with the state stamp on it which usually is a colored stamp.  If your children have changed their last name (female marriage), they will need a document which usually is a marriage certificate but from what I have read on CC they very seldom ask for it.  

Interesting that the feds are going to require a Real ID sometime after October 2020.  I doubt most states will make the deadline.  As far as I know TX has not started issuing them with perhaps 15 million or more DL's issued.  All will have to be changed. We will see about the "deadline". 

3 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

The "original" BC can be an official copy with the state stamp on it which usually is a colored stamp.  If your children have changed their last name (female marriage), they will need a document which usually is a marriage certificate but from what I have read on CC they very seldom ask for it.  

Interesting that the feds are going to require a Real ID sometime after October 2020.  I doubt most states will make the deadline.  As far as I know TX has not started issuing them with perhaps 15 million or more DL's issued.  All will have to be changed. We will see about the "deadline". 

The law was passed in 2005 ... and states have managed to get extension after extension to be compliant ... everything I've seen of late indicates Oct 1, 2020 as final deadline to be in compliance 

1 minute ago, pms4104 said:

The law was passed in 2005 ... and states have managed to get extension after extension to be compliant ... everything I've seen of late indicates Oct 1, 2020 as final deadline to be in compliance 

It will be interesting (humorous?) seeing them trying to enforce it.  

55 minutes ago, WCAB said:

suffice?

Hard to tell whether or not your daughters are minors traveling with only one adult ... but if that is the case, Princess requires all in the party to have passports

29 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

Virginia is now issuing them. Got mine last month.

7 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

You'll find out if you need to board a domestic flight or enter, for instance, a nuclear power plant.

I will use my passport ... not getting the Real ID

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

After that date many may find they can not board a domestic flight. Either EDL, Real ID or passport.  Will not be humorous for those told they can not take their flights when they go to check in.

1 minute ago, Potstech said:

After that date many may find they can not board a domestic flight. Either EDL, Real ID or passport.  Will not be humorous for those told they can not take their flights when they go to check in.

I do not plan on entering any nuclear power plants in the future so I am safe.  It will be laughable upgrading everyone in TX (all 15+ million) with a RealID in 13 months.  As far as requiring them in October 2020 to board a flight with AA, SWA and UA flying millions out and into Texas, good luck with that.  Ridiculous to say that those without cannot fly at that time.   It will be fun to watch as we get closer to the deadline and who blinks first.   

11 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

I do not plan on entering any nuclear power plants in the future so I am safe.  It will be laughable upgrading everyone in TX (all 15+ million) with a RealID in 13 months.  As far as requiring them in October 2020 to board a flight with AA, SWA and UA flying millions out and into Texas, good luck with that.  Ridiculous to say that those without cannot fly at that time.   It will be fun to watch as we get closer to the deadline and who blinks first.   

I suspect Texas will blink first ... by Oct 2020, all states will have had 15 years to to become compliant with the Real ID law.

46 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

Sorry to deprive you of an entertainment opportinity ... not sure anyone will need to blink ... Texas has been issuing Real IDs since Oct 2016 ... surely more than  a few of the 15 million Texas licenses are now Real ID ... Google is my friend 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, idahospud said:

Oh I sure hope not, I too live in Boise and my sister and I were going to go to DMV on Wednesday.

On a side note, I was in DMV last month (in Boise) to get my new drivers license. The line and wait time were horrendous. Hours long. 

12 minutes ago, WCAB said:

It will be bad. I showed up a little after 7 am and the line was already at the end of the sidewalk by the back parking lot. And they don't even open until 7:30! It was close to 9:30 before I got out of there. They do have someone at a podium asking what you are there for and handing out numbers to speed things up, but they were out of seats by the time I left - the overflow seating was filled and people were sitting on the floor.  Just be prepared for a wait. 

Edited by idahospud

5 hours ago, pms4104 said:

Hard to tell whether or not your daughters are minors traveling with only one adult ... but if that is the case, Princess requires all in the party to have passports

ACK!

That brings up the issue of written permission (or proof of sole custody) if only one adult (or only grandparents, etc).

Valley County, Idaho, DMV, told hubby in early May when he renewed his driver license to the star card, that this worked just like a passport card (we were on a cruise stopping in Canada), and he would be all set for everything required by the enhanced driver license requirement.  They require just about as much information and documentation for the star card as they did to apply for the passport card.

I do not drive nor can I fly (due to health problems), so I would have to get a star card just for state I.D.?  I think I can just get into Government buildings with my valid passport card, or so I hope.

4 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Not sure why the resistance to get a passport.

Eventually it will be required period.

Closed loop cruises will be a thing of the past.

Agree with getting a passport.  You can go almost anywhere in the world Albania to Zimbabwe.

Regards John

Licenses with a "star" are Real ID, not Enhanced DL. EDL will have a US flag instead of the star. EDL can be used without a BC, but Real ID still needs a BC. Lots of misinformation about these even from DMV personnel.

9 hours ago, satxdiver said:

As far as requiring them in October 2020 to board a flight with AA, SWA and UA flying millions out and into Texas, good luck with that.  Ridiculous to say that those without cannot fly at that time.

It's a real thing.  Those people will NOT be boarding flights without one, or carrying their birth certificate with them.