Tips for Americans on Tipping in Cunard's Queens Grille Restaurant

BrownshoeCruise

51 minutes ago, Jen1 said:

We have travelled with Cunard on a number of occasions and always left the auto-gratuity on.  On our last cruise we did the same, however, we were approached on our final evening by our two dining waiters who asked us if they had given exceptional service.  We thanked both waiters for a wonderful cruise and excellent service and we expected them to walk away from our table.  They didn't, instead they asked us if we will be showing our appreciation to them with a tip.  We quickly advised them that we had left our auto-gratuities on but they just stood there looking at us.  To say we have never felt so embarrassed was a understatement.  After a minute or two they walked away mumbling something to one another.  We decided to make a quick escape from the restaurant after other guests started looking at us only to be stopped by the Maitre de at the doors who asked us about the service we had received and if we had shown our appreciation to his staff.  We again advised the Maitre de that we had left our auto-gratuities on.  He didn't seem too pleased.  The whole experience was so embarrassing, we didn't sleep that final night thinking about the situation and worried the same may happen with our room steward and butler on the final morning.

We are travelling on Queen Mary 2 in December for 26 nights and we are currently unsure if to remove the auto-gratuity and instead tip the dining waiters, room steward, butler seperate.  We just don't want to be in that situation ever again.  We don't mind leaving the auto-gratuities on but it's going to cost us 702 USD (approx £572.00) and feel staff should be told which guests have paid the auto-gratuity so they aren't approached at the end of the cruise.  It should be the guests decision if they wish to tip extra (not be hassled by staff).

I think tips should be included in the cost of the cruise and everyone then knows where they stand.

Outrageous, but, even if tips are included in the cost of the cruise, there is nothing to stop staff trying to make you feel uncomfortable by soliciting more. Leave the autotip on next time, and don't feel embarrassed. You have nothing to feel embarrassed for. Those trying to suborn you are the ones who should feel embarrassed.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Pennbank said:

Just easier with no embarrassment to remove auto tips at the Pursers desk and pay in Cash to the staff. I am lead to believe that Frontline Staff  prefer it this way, apparently they get more money by Carnival boosting there wages to an agreed level regarding the tip aspect when its not auto applied and then receiving Cash tips, which they do not have to hand in, but usually share with in their group stations.

It's a personal thing Tipping, however do  whatever one is happy with and can afford. Its your holiday and it is not down to the customer to worry about staff wages. Most staff return again and again to Cunard so their system must work if you double tip, adjust  auto tips, remove them completely and give the cash or just don't tip.

Your decision and no one else's business.

I can see the 'frontline staff' might well prefer it. Less so those less visible perhaps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Outrageous, but, even if tips are included in the cost of the cruise, there is nothing to stop staff trying to make you feel uncomfortable by soliciting more. Leave the autotip on next time, and don't feel embarrassed. You have nothing to feel embarrassed for. Those trying to suborn you are the ones who should feel embarrassed.

Fortunately we have never experienced this embarrassment.  Frequently we have been asked if we "enjoyed our excellent service" but I took this as a not-so-subtle hint to indicate this on the survey. When a selection of menus has been presented, a note, signed by the waiters, says the same with "excellent" underlined. I understand it is important that staff receive an excellent rating.

We have almost always given a modest extra tip to the restaurant and stateroom staff, but that is because the service was  excellent and not because we felt any pressure to do so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

That sounds like outrageous behaviour from the dining staff! Which dining room was it and which ship? Is it that you are American and they therefore had certain expectations? How uncomfortable for you.

We were in Queen Victoria in the Queens Grills Restaurant.  We are British guests.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pennbank said:

Just easier with no embarrassment to remove auto tips at the Pursers desk and pay in Cash to the staff. I am lead to believe that Frontline Staff  prefer it this way, apparently they get more money by Carnival boosting there wages to an agreed level regarding the tip aspect when its not auto applied and then receiving Cash tips, which they do not have to hand in, but usually share with in their group stations.

It's a personal thing Tipping, however do  whatever one is happy with and can afford. Its your holiday and it is not down to the customer to worry about staff wages. Most staff return again and again to Cunard so their system must work if you double tip, adjust  auto tips, remove them completely and give the cash or just don't tip.

Your decision and no one else's business.

Many thanks Pennbank.  We will most probably reduce the auto-gratuity and then give the extra in cash.

6 minutes ago, Jen1 said:

We were in Queen Victoria in the Queens Grills Restaurant.  We are British guests.

We are onboard QV shortly in QG. I am grateful for being forewarned, and therefore prepared to be thick-skinned. I shall not be removing the auto tip, and what you have said makes the likelihood of our  giving anything extra rather more remote. Of course, we may have a different set of staff, who behave quite differently.

I’ve sailed Cunard numerous times (I’m Diamond), and in all dining classes, and never once have I been made to feel uncomfortable from the dining staff regarding tipping.  Yes I’ve been asked about receiving excellent service but that was always in regards to receiving a good rating on the survey.  As I’ve mentioned before I always leave the auto-gratuity on and don’t give it a second thought.  

Were I embarrassed or made to feel pressured by the dining room waiters, my next stop would to the dining room manager to advise what happened, then likely to the Purser’s office to have their portion of the gratuity removed.  Thankfully I’ve never been put in that position, and no one should ever be.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I can see the 'frontline staff' might well prefer it. Less so those less visible perhaps.

As I have said, Not my problem or concern. A Gratuity is a Gratuity not a wage. As i am lead to believe that Carnival make up to an agreed limit the wages when there is a shortfall in auto grats..  It is only Carnival Corp that think that Gratuity is a wage.

Edited by Pennbank
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Well, it seems to be of some mild concern, if you pass on your opinion of the preferences of some staff?

I don't think that reply needs answering , considering this is a forum 😂

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

We are onboard QV shortly in QG. I am grateful for being forewarned, and therefore prepared to be thick-skinned. I shall not be removing the auto tip, and what you have said makes the likelihood of our  giving anything extra rather more remote. Of course, we may have a different set of staff, who behave quite differently.

I have a bit of experience in QV's QG [as I've previously said eleven weeks in the last fourteen months alone, with another few nearer Christmas],  and have never, ever been tapped for a gratuity from any member of staff. Never.

Hopeful comments from staff on the passengers survey, yes [and it's always very positive] but never for a tip.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I have a bit of experience in QV's QG [as I've previously said eleven weeks in the last fourteen months alone, with another few nearer Christmas],  and have never, ever been tapped for a gratuity from any member of staff. Never.

Hopeful comments from staff on the passengers survey, yes [and it's always very positive] but never for a tip.

That has been my experience, too, over quite a number of years. Let us hope it hasn't changed.

RE Jen1's experience.

We had nothing like that 4 weeks ago in QG on the Q.V.  Just a very pleasant "hope you enjoyed your holiday and have a good journey home" from the dinning room staff, both waiters , head waiter and the Maitre D'.

What is most shocking is what she said about the attitude of the Maitre D' who should know better . When was this,  and who was Maitre D'.

This is unacceptable and Jen1 should raise it with Cunard for the sake of those coming after her..

Don't feel any pressure to pay more than  Auto gratuities . First class service should be the norm, not something you should feel you need to give extra tip for. But If you want to it's up to you. There should be no pressure either way

A few times not on cruise ships but elsewhere I've been just about to tip someone, but before  I can they have gone into "hover" mode.  This brings out a thickskinned thank you instead of a tip. 

The sooner the hospitality industry gets rid of tips world wide the better.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I have had one cruise in PG and have two booked in QG.

I don't have any wealth to distribute. I work hard, save hard and choose to pay a premium to sail grills for the experience of a larger suite, a better dining experience, a guaranteed table for two and the pleasure of sitting in the peace and comfort of the grills terrace.

I don't need a butler but will get one in QG anyway  and for what I am already paying, I expect exemplary  service as the default.

I have no quibble with paying the 15% service charge for the drinks or the daily auto gratuity. I happily give a tip to the spa therapist for good service as I believe they don't receive any gratuity and on our last cruise we gave our room steward an additional tip for his unobtrusive and excellent servicing of our suite.

If any of the staff approached me for a tip in any way, it would make me think long and hard about future cruising with Cunard. Instead I would look at other cruise lines, where it is specifically stated that all tips are included in the fare and I would absolutely make a complaint to the purser while on board.

All this has left me somewhat perturbed as to what to expect in QG.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Aspidestra99 said:

I have had one cruise in PG and have two booked in QG.

All this has left me somewhat perturbed as to what to expect in QG.

I must reiterate, I have never, over the years, come across any staff who were either hovering for gratuities or worse, outwardly referring to them. Again, a reference to the passenger survey but not gratuities and I can't for the life of me see any Cunard Maitre'd referring to them either. I do wonder if the reference from the M'd was to the survey and nothing to do with gratuities. I have met most of the QV M'ds over the years and feel I know them enough to be amazed any of them would give an inference to monetary matters. Customer satisfaction survey possibly, but not gratuities and with regards to that, the survey seemed to be of great importance this March/April.

You have absolutely no need to worry. At all.

Edited by Victoria2

6 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

RE Jen1's experience.

We had nothing like that 4 weeks ago in QG on the Q.V.  Just a very pleasant "hope you enjoyed your holiday and have a good journey home" from the dinning room staff, both waiters , head waiter and the Maitre D'.

What is most shocking is what she said about the attitude of the Maitre D' who should know better . When was this,  and who was Maitre D'.

This is unacceptable and Jen1 should raise it with Cunard for the sake of those coming after her..

Don't feel any pressure to pay more than  Auto gratuities . First class service should be the norm, not something you should feel you need to give extra tip for. But If you want to it's up to you. There should be no pressure either way

A few times not on cruise ships but elsewhere I've been just about to tip someone, but before  I can they have gone into "hover" mode.  This brings out a thickskinned thank you instead of a tip. 

The sooner the hospitality industry gets rid of tips world wide the better.

Not sure what the Maitre de name was back in December.  There seemed to be two in charge in the dining room.  The older out of the two gentleman thought he was in charge but I don't think he was meant to be.  It was the other gentlemen who stopped us as we left the restaurant.

We did raise the issue with Cunard the day we arrived back into Southampton who said they would look into the matter.  We had to chase them after 9 weeks and they then apologised for any inconvenience caused.  No reason was given why this happened.

It hasn't stopped us from travelling with Cunard in the future, we just need to think how we go about the gratuities going forward.  Maybe they thought they could try this on with two female passengers (mother and daughter) but it didn't work out.  I will be certainly ready going forward.

In 20 plus years of cruising with various lines I have never had staff in any department trying to extract an extra tip, our last cruise was Cunard.

I usually try and avoid tipping threads as they nearly always deteriorate into bad feeling between different nationalities with different cultures.But my preferred option is that the tips/gratuities are built into the cruise price, which is what P&O, CMV and Tui currently do, I then hope that the staff are paid fairly, if anyone feels that they need to tip extra, including me then so be it.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, exlondoner said:

QG already pay more in tips that others.  I agree, outrageous.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but we are going on Cunard for the first time (doing some research now) on QV later this year having previously cruised with lines where tips are included want to just clarify if it will be ok to remove one of our two lots of auto gratuities and then just tip our room steward and maybe wait/wine staff personally? Also sailing out of Southampton would the hand given tips be ok in sterling or do the staff really prefer US dollars? Thanks in advance. 

You can remove one or both lots of auto gratuities by request at reception with no problems. With regards to handing staff cash tips there is considerable disagreement on this and other forums that if staff are given cash tips they have to hand it in so defeats object of giving tips personally. Others say they are allowed to keep cash tips but I dont think anyone knows for certain what the procedure is. With regards to giving £ or $ I do not think it really matters either way and will not be refused.

Edited by majortom10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Sorry to bring up an old thread but we are going on Cunard for the first time (doing some research now) on QV later this year having previously cruised with lines where tips are included want to just clarify if it will be ok to remove one of our two lots of auto gratuities and then just tip our room steward and maybe wait/wine staff personally? Also sailing out of Southampton would the hand given tips be ok in sterling or do the staff really prefer US dollars? Thanks in advance. 

Objective answer, you can remove all auto grats except the non negotiable drinks gratuities.

As to the distribution of hard cash to staff, BellBoy nailed it (see pinned thread Oct '16). As a not such an experienced Cunard passenger, I had this discussion with two senior members of staff and they basically said, any expectation of staff handing in all cash grats, either from auto paying passengers or non auto paying, would be impossible to police.

So no worries. Keep the grats on to help all those behind the scenes as well as up front staff, or remove and tip those you specifically want to reward. We do both but no one will judge your decision, it’s a very personal thing.

It depends where we are in the world as to whether it’s Sterling or US dollars. Either will do though in reality.

But recognize that removing auto-grats and handing cash tips to whom you choose penalizes (very slightly, to be sure) the behind-the-scenes people who benefit from the daily service charge.

They are guaranteed a minimum pay in the event that total service charges fall short but it does not follow that your shortfall will be made up by the line. Its more likely that the pay with the remaining DSCs will be above the minimum but not as high as if people left the DSC in.

I leave the DSC in place and often give cash tips to the personal staff (room steward, waiters, sometimes wine waiter) who have particularly brightened my voyage.

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Remember that whether you withdraw the autograt or not, you will still be charged 15% extra for service on your drinks bill, so you may feel there is little need for anything extra.

The Bar Staff receive the 15% service charge, were as the Auto Gratuity pot goes to the other staff, ie Waiters, Kitchen and your steward/ess.