What happens after someone gets left at a port?

We left someone in Costa Maya last week and it's really got me curious about what a person would do if they get left at port. How would you go about getting home, especially in a remote area?? I was so curious that I asked some officers at a Q&A for some details. I was told that if there's time, the room steward will gather your documents and if possible even throw clothes in your suitcase. Then they'd remove it from the ship at the last minute so it's waiting at the port for you when you finally arrive. Often they don't have time to do that though, and the steward would pack your belongings and they would be waiting for you after the ship returns to the home port. There are port representatives who will give you some direction about what to do next to get back home. Other than that, you're completely on your own to reserve and pay for lodging, food and travel. Anyone have other details about what happens next - or has this ever happened to anyone on these boards? 

If you're wondering what happened when we left the guy in Costa Maya, here's how it went down. All aboard time was 2:30 ship time (1:30 Costa Maya time, but we were all told to stay on ship time.) At 2:30 they announced 5 names and asked that they report to guest services. Right after that, we saw a group of 4 running for the gangway and they made it on the ship. Meanwhile, a large group was walking up - they must have been on an RCCL excursion that ran a little late. There were about 25 people and none of them hurried. All walked right on the ship. This group finished boarding around 2:50 and the towel return was taken down, then around 3:00 they started removing the gangway. Right after the gangway was removed, we noticed a guy running down the dock and passing the Majesty, which was also in port that day. Once he made it to the ship there were 4-5 officials waiting for him and they walked him back down to the port entrance. The ship left right after that.

20 minutes ago, Retired LEO said:

That was actually a crew member that missed the ship. He went on the Majesty to be taken back to Port Everglades 

Oh wow, it sure looked like a college kid to me! (In fact, I panicked for a minute that it was my son, LOL!) How do you know it was a crew member?

(I'm still curious what the procedure is if someone gets left at port though, if anyone knows details.)

Edited by Vacation Lover1

47 minutes ago, Vacation Lover1 said:

(I'm still curious what the procedure is if someone gets left at port though, if anyone knows details.)

What procedure do you mean?  If you are the one who is left you have 2 options:

1.  Meet the ship at the next port.

2.  Meet the ship at the return (origination most likely) port.

Either way, you are on your own for expenses and you darn well better have your Passport or you will be at the Embassy working it out...

Merion Mom is onboard Majesty, and mentioned that they had taken (a crew member) that was late returning onboard their ship. 

And there is a port agent at every port that will assist stranded passengers with their return. The ship will try to locate the passports for the passengers and leave them with the agent. The port agent contact information is posted in the port handout and compass, and it is advisable to have this information with you onshore. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vacation Lover1 said:

Oh wow, it sure looked like a college kid to me! (In fact, I panicked for a minute that it was my son, LOL!) How do you know it was a crew member?

I was on the Harmony last week when it happened. I'm on the Majesty now so I'm getting both sides. 

• Like 2

I’m going to ask a naive question - I’m assuming those of you (us) with smart watches now will put them in airplane mode (or?) so we stay on ship’s time while in port so we don’t accidentally miss the ship?  Or, (maybe equally horrors for some) get back too early?  If I don’t do something, I know I’m going to confuse myself one way or the other. Getting back early is okay.  Getting left?  Gosh, no. 

Not too long ago, a member was left behind in Nassau.  He wrote a post about how it happened and what he did after.

Being left behind is a major worrying point for me. I have a clock widget on my phone set to "Ship Time" and always make sure that I'm onboard with plenty of time so spare.  Also, I add the port agent's number on my phone before I leave the ship.

• Like 2

They are FUBAR  and have to pay to get out of the nasty situation. Depending on the next port the passenger would have to find a way to book  a flight to the next port if the Jones Act is not a problem or home and get their luggage shipped,

I would never want to miss a ship so I always add 90 minutes to the "All Aboard Time" unless I am on a ship sponsored excursion.

One of my hobbies is to watch "passengers missing the ship" on YouTube and real pier runners. Run Forest Run I say if I see people missing the ship!  I mean it sucks to be in that position but if they had planned better and not got so drunk beyond words then its on them. 

Sorry you missed the ship and maybe its a lesson to be more attentive to the time. Now I know that on private excursions if there is an accident then of course it was not the passenger's fault but still they are responsible for the extra cost to catch up. 

Its always good to have the number of the Port Master and program it into your cellphone as well as your SeaPass, Credit Cards and perhaps even Passports with you and extra cash.

5 hours ago, Vacation Lover1 said:

How do you explain it to your Boss that you missed the ship when Crew All Aboard Time is one hour prior to guest All Aboard Time?

Sorry but this poor lad may not have  a job when he arrives Port Everglades unless there were extenuating circumstances.

Ouch that would really hurt!

1 hour ago, travelplus said:

One of my hobbies is to watch "passengers missing the ship" on YouTube and real pier runners. Run Forest Run I say if I see people missing the ship!  I mean it sucks to be in that position but if they had planned better and not got so drunk

You need a new hobby! I think it is just mean spirited to get some sort of enjoyment or entertainment value over some strangers misfortune. I agree that everyone should be responsible to get back to the ship in time but considering how panic stricken those people must feel as they see the ship sail away I would find it difficult to somehow enjoy it. Just my opinion.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

You need a new hobby! I think it is just mean spirited to get some sort of enjoyment or entertainment value over some strangers misfortune. I agree that everyone should be responsible to get back to the ship in time but considering how panic stricken those people must feel as they see the ship sail away I would find it difficult to somehow enjoy it. Just my opinion.

Of course I don't enjoy the misfortune I was only kidding. With that aside  we can look out for each other and ensure that our fellow passengers don't miss the ship.

Just now, travelplus said:

Of course I don't enjoy the misfortune I was only kidding. With that aside  we can look out for each other and ensure that our fellow passengers don't miss the ship.

Thanks for clarifying. I guess I was just dismayed that anyone would find it amusing.

9 hours ago, patcacmt said:

I’m going to ask a naive question - I’m assuming those of you (us) with smart watches now will put them in airplane mode (or?) so we stay on ship’s time while in port

You can set a smart phone to manual, so that the time does not automatically update.  I don't have a smart watch but assume you can similarly adjust the settings.  You don't have to put your phone in airplane mode to keep it on the manual setting for adjusting the time.

5 hours ago, travelplus said:

They are FUBAR  and have to pay to get out of the nasty situation. Depending on the next port the passenger would have to find a way to book  a flight to the next port if the Jones Act is not a problem or home and get their luggage shipped,

PVSA, not the Jones Act.  PVSA is for passengers, Jones Act is for cargo.

6 hours ago, travelplus said:

I would never want to miss a ship so I always add 90 minutes to the "All Aboard Time" unless I am on a ship sponsored excursion.

One of my hobbies is to watch "passengers missing the ship" on YouTube and real pier runners. Run Forest Run I say if I see people missing the ship!  I mean it sucks to be in that position but if they had planned better and not got so drunk beyond words then its on them. 

Sorry you missed the ship and maybe its a lesson to be more attentive to the time. Now I know that on private excursions if there is an accident then of course it was not the passenger's fault but still they are responsible for the extra cost to catch up. 

Its always good to have the number of the Port Master and program it into your cellphone as well as your SeaPass, Credit Cards and perhaps even Passports with you and extra cash.

Pretty sure that the PVSA would not apply since that looks at your initial port of embarkation and your final debarkation port.  

4 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

Thanks for clarifying. I guess I was just dismayed that anyone would find it amusing.

Oh I think it’s totally amusing and that people are stupid,  we love looking for runners trying not to miss the boat.  It’s their own stupidity that has put them in that situation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also, tangentially, I wondered last week as we pulled away from Labadee, what happens if you miss the ship on a cruise ship private island. Could you fall asleep somewhere on Cocoa Cay and miss the boat? Then what?

Interesting info. I never noticed that there was a number for the cruise port manager, will get that info next time, just to be on the safe side!

My daughter went to a Q&A with the entertainers and said that some new Grease cast members joined at the end of June. She also mentioned that there was an empty seat at the karaoke judging table (which was judged by the entertainers) so I'm guessing this was our guy. Glad he was able to jump on Majesty without problems. I wonder if that would ever be an option for a passenger? I'm thinking not.

12 minutes ago, Spunky946 said:

Oh I think it’s totally amusing and that people are stupid,  we love looking for runners trying not to miss the boat.  It’s their own stupidity that has put them in that situation.

I asked the Captain what happens when the ship leaves someone in port and he said, "The ship doesn't leave anyone. They leave themselves." 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Spunky946 said:

I guess I just don't see the humor in it. To each his own.

• Like 1

I actually did experience the ship backing up to retrieve latecomers. Leaving Bermuda on Explorer some years ago. Had come back from the beach, showered and settled in on the balcony with a glass of wine and my book as the ship pulled away from the dock. Suddenly I heard loud shouting and then realized the ship was going backwards. Two young girls (appeared to be teenagers) came running toward the ship which backed up to get them. I’m guessing that they had frantic parents on the ship and the captain didn’t want to leave a couple of minors on their own. 

10 hours ago, patcacmt said:

I’m going to ask a naive question - I’m assuming those of you (us) with smart watches now will put them in airplane mode (or?) so we stay on ship’s time while in port so we don’t accidentally miss the ship?  Or, (maybe equally horrors for some) get back too early?  If I don’t do something, I know I’m going to confuse myself one way or the other. Getting back early is okay.  Getting left?  Gosh, no. 

I have an inexpensive wristwatch that I take on cruises with me set appropriately so I make sure I am always on ship's time.  I do usually have my phone with me though, so I check the ship's clock to be sure I make the adjustment in my mind in case I am paying attention to my phone or forget to wear my watch.