On Royal now...After Vowing to NEVER sail Royal Again...

ceilidh1

17 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

the lack of a promenade deck, the lack of an indoor pool, the inability to sail the inside passage, and the fact that most of the windows in public areas are blocked by lifeboats mean that (for me) Royal was not the best choice for Alaska!

After sailing on Royal Princess in December/January, that was my thinking as well.  Returned a few days ago from my Alaska cruise on Coral Princess, I think she is best suited for Alaska cruises because of the number and location of exterior decks.  The best way to hopefully see wildlife and witness glaciers calving is on the outside decks.  The National Park Service Ranger doing the commentary frequently urges guests to "get outside".

My rule of thumb is you have to give it 2 to 3 tries for anything when you review/ form an opinion on things.

A. bad things can happen once and that forms snap judgements .

B. a second go will normalize the scales. unless its bad again then you know. 

C. the third then you've got a great sample to go off of... unneeded if youve had two but the third could be good like the second and it was a one off.

This might not work for cruising but Its a general rule for me. It hasnt really failed me much.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, toads45froggy said:

My rule of thumb is you have to give it 2 to 3 tries for anything when you review/ form an opinion on things.

C. the third then you've got a great sample to go off of... unneeded if youve had two but the third could be good like the second and it was a one off.

This might not work for cruising but Its a general rule for me. It hasnt really failed me much.

I like your rule of thumb.  And, I agree with it.  I was critical of my Royal Princess cruise and said so in my postings about my cruise.  However, I also said that now I have sailed on her (which was the largest ship on which I have sailed to date), I now have a better idea of how to navigate such a vessel with an increased number of guests than I did.  I'd book either Royal or one of her sisters again without hesitation based upon what I have learned.  

On 8/15/2019 at 1:34 PM, toads45froggy said:

How very true!! 

We sailed on the Crown Princess when she was fairly new and booked a guarantee balcony cabin.  Wow!  What a mistake .... however, it really was of our own making ... at least the cabin choice!  

It was the cruise to end my cruising days ... everything that could go wrong, short of sinking, did go wrong and I wrote headquarters to tell them about our disappointment.  Well, in response, they offered some very generous compensation to book another Princess cruise (which I swore I was just done with) but, I booked another sailing ... and yes, on the same ship but this time, I  booked my cabin very carefully and even chose an inside cabin.  Well, it ended up being such a wonderful cruise and I am so glad I didn't judge the entire cruise line, much less, the whole cruise industry on that one massive compilation of mishaps.  

We ended up sailing on the Crown a third time ... another winning cruise and glad we gave her that second chance.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2019 at 10:41 PM, ceilidh1 said:

Current movies under the stars:

7BFC2A29-BE24-4613-A299-C954A81B8F4F.jpeg

Ceilidh1 ...  Were are the movies the same on the second leg of your trip? Thank you so much for always being so helpful!  I’m trying to avoid watching something that might be shown on one of my cruises.  😊

26 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Ceilidh1 ...  Were are the movies the same on the second leg of your trip? Thank you so much for always being so helpful!  I’m trying to avoid watching something that might be shown on one of my cruises.  😊

Yes - same movies on return voyage

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I'm doing the 3 day coastal in 2 weeks so can let you know if they have changed!

4 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

We have the same movies this week on the Royal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I'm doing the 3 day coastal in 2 weeks so can let you know if they have changed!

I'll be on that one too, my first time on a Royal class ship. I only wanted to go on a 3 day in case we don't like it. I usually spend a lot of time walking on the promenade and looking through my binoculars, so we'll see how it goes. DH is excited about the buffet! We used to live in Nevada, so we are accustomed to lavish buffets!

6 hours ago, donswife said:

I'll be on that one too, my first time on a Royal class ship. I only wanted to go on a 3 day in case we don't like it. I usually spend a lot of time walking on the promenade and looking through my binoculars, so we'll see how it goes. DH is excited about the buffet! We used to live in Nevada, so we are accustomed to lavish buffets!

While the Royal does have a good buffet by ship standards, I seriously doubt if you'll be impressed compared to the buffets in Nevada.

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

While the Royal does have a good buffet by ship standards, I seriously doubt if you'll be impressed compared to the buffets in Nevada.

If it is better than golden  corral, we will be fine. We liked the WFM on the Caribbean Princess. 

1 hour ago, donswife said:

If it is better than golden  corral, we will be fine. We liked the WFM on the Caribbean Princess. 

While the food at the WFM on the CB was what I found lousy last year, it was still eatable but made me wish we had taken the Royal instead.

I don't know how the Golden Corral is where you live but the one's near me here in Florida are really the bottom of the barrel. Nothing about them would ever make me go back again, even with a free meal on my birthday.

Great looking TV ad's though. If they could only live up to a fraction of what they advertise they'd have a gold mine.

• Like 2