How does "Move Over" request work on Princess

ghw

I am booked on a December cruise on a brand new ship and it appears to be 100% sold out (we are still about 115 days from sailing so some reservations will likely cancel).

I booked through a very large online travel agency.  If Princess wants to offer me a move over offer would they call/email me directly or would they simply "ask" my travel agent (who probably wouldn't even relay the message in a timely manner)?  This cruise is just around the Caribbean so while i would click to sail on this new ship I really don't care if it is a few weeks or more later.  

Please let me know how it works if reservation is booked through a travel agency.

Thanks

When we received our moveover offer, Princess sent an email to our TA and she immediately forwarded it to us.  I believe that is how it works for most of these offers but some have reported receiving phone calls directly from Princess.  Our offer came 15 days before embarkation so email worked, it could be that the offers made closer to sailing are made by phone given the urgency.  By the way, I have heard that some large big box or online TAs do not forward communications from Princess such as moveovers, upsells, flight changes etc.  We are fortunate that our TA owns her franchise so she is on top of all of this for us.

Note that appearances can be deceiving. There may be many guarantees not filled and corresponding number of unassigned cabins marked sold.  Add in all the likely cancellations when final payment comes due and it is impossible to guess what will happen down the road.

16 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

By the way, I have heard that some large big box or online TAs do not forward communications from Princess such as moveovers, upsells, flight changes etc.  We are fortunate that our TA owns her franchise so she is on top of all of this for us.

I use that Big Box membership store and they do not call or email us with anything. I am fortunate to get 15% back in cash and OBC and reduced price shore excursions. I have asked this TA to call Princess and see if there are any perks I may have missed and they are accommodating however you need to initiate th call to them.

• Like 1

Pretty sure this is the little 3 day U.S. inaugural out of FLL/PE on the SKY Princess ... we're on it also

cruise has been showing 'SOLD OUT' almost from the start

guessing inventory control has taken over all the bookings, or lack thereof, seeing how many VIPs, TA's eventually sign up

Final payment is due 9/20 , so that may , or not, be the next time any changes

we've been booked since the day it came out, and would jump at a move over, or even move down in a heartbeat ...

j/s

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 7:54 AM, ghw said:

I am booked on a December cruise on a brand new ship and it appears to be 100% sold out (we are still about 115 days from sailing so some reservations will likely cancel).

I booked through a very large online travel agency.  If Princess wants to offer me a move over offer would they call/email me directly or would they simply "ask" my travel agent (who probably wouldn't even relay the message in a timely manner)?  This cruise is just around the Caribbean so while i would click to sail on this new ship I really don't care if it is a few weeks or more later.  

Please let me know how it works if reservation is booked through a travel agency.

Thanks

What is a move over offer?  Thanks.

Marlster

1 hour ago, Marlster said:

What is a move over offer?  Thanks.

Marlster

It's a beautiful thing IF it fits your schedule(s) and desires...

basically, the ship is oversold , and Princess is offering you an opportunity to give up your cabin on that cruise ...

and in exchange, Princess will give you a 'free' cruise and also return to you in the form of REFUNDABLE on board credit the cruise fare you paid for your original cruise

that's the crux ... but if you ever get an email move over offer, respond IMMEDIATELY to the number you are instructed to call and get in line for a call back from Princess on a first responded basi

18 minutes ago, voljeep said:

It's a beautiful thing IF it fits your schedule(s) and desires...

basically, the ship is oversold , and Princess is offering you an opportunity to give up your cabin on that cruise ...

and in exchange, Princess will give you a 'free' cruise and also return to you in the form of REFUNDABLE on board credit the cruise fare you paid for your original cruise

that's the crux ... but if you ever get an email move over offer, respond IMMEDIATELY to the number you are instructed to call and get in line for a call back from Princess on a first responded basi

Thanks you for the information, never heard of it.  Would I get the e-mail or would my travel agent get it?

Marlster

29 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

The Big Box Stores will not call you or forward any upsell or move over offers from what I've heard.  

For all other situations, your TA will get an email and will forward it to you for you to make a decision.  The quicker you respond, the quicker your chances of getting it.  

Can I move my big box reservation to Princess? It shows on my personalizer but I have to pay the Big Box for everything.Thanks

27 minutes ago, paul929207 said:

It would go to your travel agent who would (hopefully) forward it to you.

Thank you for the info.  My TA is very good and works from home, so on top of things all the time.

Marlster

A Move Over offer can be one of the most lucrative offers possible.  We were due to sail on a SE Asia cruise last December and got a call from a Princess rep just 5 days before we were due to sail offering us a full refund (in refundable OBC), a free cruise anywhere in the world for up to 20 days (our booked cruise had been 14 days), an upgrade from balcony to mini suite, and $$$ for the cancellation of our flights and such.  We had to act fast, and we did.  Because we're retired we could be that flexible.  Move over offers can be amazing if you can roll with the changes.  Sometimes they just want you to move from a preferred cabin (balcony or higher) to something less desirable.  How appealing that is depends upon your preferences.  For most itineraries we strongly prefer balcony or above but for very cold climes we're fine with inside or ocean view.  

We do deal with the contracted travel agent from the largest membership big box store in the U.S. and have always received upsell offers directly from Princess.  We're not likely to get a move-over offer though, since we specifically need an ADA accessible room.

I got a move over offer a few weeks back for our Aug 11 cruise.  It was really a move down offer, but the email came in as move over. In this case, I am the agent and was the traveler as well. The email came to my personal email address registered not to my agency email registered.  So I'm guessing some go to agents and some go directly to passengers?

9 hours ago, Grammyluvs said:

Can I move my big box reservation to Princess? It shows on my personalizer but I have to pay the Big Box for everything.Thanks

If you are able to move the booking to Princess, it will not have any of the discounts or OBC that the Big Box store had given to you.

We got a move over offer earlier this year for the Royal Princess cruise around South America. It was to change from a regular balcony to a partially obstructed balcony on the same cruise. We got $1500 refundable OBC plus a couple of specialty dinners. We took it and got most of the OBC back after the cruise.

15 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

The Big Box Stores will not call you or forward any upsell or move over offers from what I've heard.  

For all other situations, your TA will get an email and will forward it to you for you to make a decision.  The quicker you respond, the quicker your chances of getting it.  

Incorrect, at least in our case. Our "big box" TA most definitely has immediately forwarded a Princess upsell offer to us, though we declined it as it was of no real added value.

We were just on the August 6 Regal Baltic Cruise and prior to sailing we received 3 offers from Princess directly through our email, not through our travel agent.  There were two move down offers, one to move to an inside cabin, one to move to an obstructed view cabin and finally, a move over offer.  They sounded tempting, but we did not respond to any of the offers.  We love our balconies and since we had never been to that part of Europe we wanted to see everything.  As far as the move over offer was concerned,  although we are retired we were too “into” our cruise, flight, and land arrangements to want to cancel.  As attractive as the offers were we had no regrets about our decision.  Now, if we receive an offer on our next Caribbean cruise that might be another story.

We live in florida. The night before our cruise we got a call for a move over offer. We were upgraded to a brand new ship the Royal. Moved from inside to deluxe balcony and $1000 credit. So we took it. Booked the cruise for the next year. Got $500 cash back. Then had $500 obc. Did not use it all. Got back cash at end of cruise. Nice deal!!