Do you still notify your cc company of your travel plans

ontheweb

55 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

It depends what they mean by you don't have to provide information. My bank says I don't have to provide information before I leave but that when I make an international purchase they will can me to check I made that purchase. So they do want to know where I am and they do make notes and since I travel to many countries in one visit it is more of a hassle to wait for that call than to give them the information before hand. I have had problems with my phone overseas and if I don't answer their calls they block my card and then I have to call them back to unblock my card which just ends up being more of a hassle. When I give the information beforehand I never have any of these problems. 

In your case, I would tell them.

But many US credit card companies say THEY NOT NEED TO BE TOLD.  And they will not shut off your card for use in another country, unless that use seems odd (say buying pet supplies in another country, when you don't buy pet supplies).

But some people here, still feel more comfortable telling the company that tells them to not tell them. 🙂

5 hours ago, SRF said:

But some people here, still feel more comfortable telling the company that tells them to not tell them. 🙂

So...what? If they feel more comfortable doing that it's their choice. You don't feel comfortable doing that, don't. You don't need to keep picking at the issue.

8 hours ago, SRF said:

But many US credit card companies say THEY NOT NEED TO BE TOLD.  And they will not shut off your card for use in another country, unless that use seems odd (say buying pet supplies in another country, when you don't buy pet supplies).

Also, a credit card will be suspended if its use falls outside of the bank's fraud detection system whether the holder calls or not.  Therefore, there is no benefit calling the bank other than to create a soothing but false perception for fretful travelers. 

The vast majority of credit card companies don't need the information, don't want the information and have specifically told people not to provide the information.  Nevertheless, some people continue to tie up credit card phone lines for no other reason than to make themselves feel "safe." 🙄   

Edited by K32682
  • Like 2

On 8/23/2019 at 8:14 AM, K32682 said:

The vast majority of credit card companies don't need the information, don't want the information and have specifically told people not to provide the information.

And yet 3 of my 4 cards have links in the online account management for registering travel with them, all easily found.  All 3 of those are from major banks, 2 of them are direct with the bank.

2 hours ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

as will text you on mobile to confirm if a purchase/ transaction needs verification or is outside usual use.

Not everyone has international service on their cell phones (I do, thankfully), wonder how they handle those situations...

On 8/16/2019 at 9:43 AM, DarrenM said:

I would have no idea who to call, nor do I want to dial a number of one of these corporations to be left waiting in some sort of telephonic abyss. Dial 1 for thie dial 45 for customer services, dial 367 for a human.

I do most of my travel notifications online.  

On 8/16/2019 at 2:46 PM, sparks1093 said:

I don't waste time on the phone, the websites for all of my cards have a secure message feature and I use that (well, I did until they said it wasn't necessary). For my bank I mention it to the teller when I am in the bank and they send a message to the fraud unit.

Exactly!  

My CC bank has dropped the requirement to advise them of travel plans.  Since I have email alerts on the cards that advise me of all new charges, and an addition alert if a charge is international I have the ability to quickly respond if there is a suspicious charge.

The bank debit card which we use for cash withdrawals overseas requires notice of travel, but it is easily done online. For extra protection we keep a separate account for travel withdrawals.

I notify those that accept the information through their web sites. There is one major bank whose card I don't bother to take when I'm outside the U.S. because they deny charges even if they were notified.

For an ATM card I mostly use Capital One's when traveling, and they don't require notification. My local bank, whose card would be the backup for cash, not only requires notification but accepts it only by phone.

On 8/26/2019 at 6:14 AM, hallux said:

And yet 3 of my 4 cards have links in the online account management for registering travel with them, all easily found.  All 3 of those are from major banks, 2 of them are direct with the bank.

Not everyone has international service on their cell phones (I do, thankfully), wonder how they handle those situations...

Not everyone bothers with  smart phone.  I manage to live my life, travel, run my house and take care of myself with no need or interest in a smart phone.  IF I  wanted one I'd buy one, But

that  is not likely to happen anytime soon.

I continue to call my  credit card companies  before  international travel.

I am not telling anyone what they should do I have only stated what I do and what has worked for me  for many years and a great many international trips.

Edited by sail7seas

On 8/26/2019 at 11:14 AM, awhcruiser said:

Yes....except for American Express.

Yes...  Am Ex has not required before    'international'   travel  calls for many years.

Edited by sail7seas

As I mentioned in my previous post, I do it because it's available on the app for my rewards CC and is easy. Here is a link to some useful information/links:  https://www.creditkarma.com/credit-cards/i/how-to-travel-notification/ It contains a "how to" list for bank travel notifications. AmEx and Capital One both don't require it due to internal fraud protection systems.

Edited by JennyB1977