Do you still notify your cc company of your travel plans

ontheweb

It's odd reading that so many people find their banks don't want to know anymore.  I was on a Pacific coastal cruise earlier this year, called the banks (while in port in SF since I forgot to do it before I left home) associated with 2 cards and my debit card (2 calls), both accepted the notification and said nothing about not needing to call.

17 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I have always done this, and will continue to do this. However, both of our credit card companies are now saying that you no longer need to notify them.

They've all said it's not needed because of the chip in the card. I do let my bank know so I can still use my debit card.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

They've all said it's not needed because of the chip in the card. I do let my bank know so I can still use my debit card.

I get the "not necessary" notice with a couple of my ccs, and a couple still allow me to enter the info, but my bank still wants to know. 

14 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

It was extremely commonplace years ago before predictive algorithms took on new levels of sophistication.

I would have no idea who to call, nor do I want to dial a number of one of these corporations to be left waiting in some sort of telephonic abyss. Dial 1 for thie dial 45 for customer services, dial 367 for a human.

13 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

I would have no idea who to call, nor do I want to dial a number of one of these corporations to be left waiting in some sort of telephonic abyss. Dial 1 for thie dial 45 for customer services, dial 367 for a human.

The telephone number on the back of the credit card.

We have a "China travel account" with a Chinese bank with branches in the US.  They require us to come into the branch and fill out a travel form every time we expect to use their credit or debit cards outside of the US.   The only reason we keep it it's better than going to Bank of Mom every time we need $ when we visit her :classic_sleep:

2 hours ago, DarrenM said:

.....nor do I want to dial a number of one of these corporations to be left waiting in some sort of telephonic abyss. Dial 1 for thie dial 45 for customer services, dial 367 for a human.

I'm sorry, we are experiencing a high volume of calls at the moment. You are 487th in line for a human, but your call is important to us. So please listen to some lovely music, and one of our humans will be with you in..... 7 hrs and .....39 minutes

JB :classic_rolleyes:

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, John Bull said:

I'm sorry, we are experiencing a high volume of calls at the moment. You are 487th in line for a human, but your call is important to us. So please listen to some lovely music, and one of our humans will be with you in..... 7 hrs and .....39 minutes

For once I'm going to defend this practice.  When we had our problem in Australia we got through using the number on the back of the card very quickly, no messing about and no long wait.  Maybe we were just lucky? 🤣

• Like 1

I don't waste time on the phone, the websites for all of my cards have a secure message feature and I use that (well, I did until they said it wasn't necessary). For my bank I mention it to the teller when I am in the bank and they send a message to the fraud unit.

23 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I have always done this, and will continue to do this. However, both of our credit card companies are now saying that you no longer need to notify them.

I have no desire to be trying to buy something in another country with a language barrier and be declined because the credit card company suspects fraud.  I"m calling ahead of time.

On 8/15/2019 at 3:36 PM, ontheweb said:

Most of my CC companies do not require or accept notifications

7 hours ago, John Bull said:

Darrenm likes this a lot🤣

On 8/15/2019 at 6:03 PM, feathersandnananose said:

Lesson learned: if you are pickpocketed, go to the police to make sure you get an official report.  You won't get your stuff back, but it's proof that you really suffered a loss.  It's a pain in the butt, but if you need to verify, it's very helpful to have the documentation.  And go ahead and push your CC company...

This is very good advice.   Years ago we had to spend some time in a police station in Rome for a theft report.   Place was a zoo. While I didn't like why we were all there, it was kind of entertaining watching tourists demanding to know what actions were being taken to recover their stolen property.   Probably took us 45 minutes to get the report.  And for the reasons you give, glad we did.  

My debit card bank emailed that I no longer need to notify and instead if they see an unusual purchase they will call me and verfiy. I still inform before because I worry how easy I wll be to reach overseas. I've had problems with my phone overseas before and if they can't reach me they will block the card so then it would just be an extra hassle. I think it is easier to inform them before hand so I don't have to worry about receiving the call.

7 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

OP back. We are leaving on a land trip next week. We just got an e-mail from the tour group with reminders of things to do pre-trip. It included let your cc company know where you are going. 

That sounds like sensible advice, because it's clear from this thread that some card issuers still require this. 

JB :classic_smile:

Why do the card forms need to know where you are?

I must be missing something.

I have had many credit cards down the years and have never been required to do this from any of them. Including amex.

And to be honest I wouldnt have told them anyway.

I dont even tell family where I am going.😁

Just now, DarrenM said:

Why do the card forms need to know where you are?

I must be missing something.

I have had many credit cards down the years and have never been required to do this from any of them. Including amex.

And to be honest I wouldnt have told them anyway.

I dont even tell family where I am going.😁

Because if they notice unusual activity they may block the card for fraud and sometimes unusual activity can be activity in a place you've never been before. Best to be proactive and let them know because as many have mentioned having your card deactivated while traveling is a hassle.

• Like 2

Funny story - I was in Mexico City for work, I was there with 2 others from my company one of whom had been there previously.  We were all hitting the ATM for cash for a tour we were doing over the weekend, the 2 of us that were "rookies" had no trouble while the guy that had been there before was having no luck getting his cash.  Why?  He hadn't told his bank he was going to be there.  I was one of the "rookies".  Apparently he hadn't notified his bank previously and hadn't run into problems.

I have been told by the two cards I use primarily for travel not to notify them. One (AmEx) seems very laissez-faire. The other (Capital One) offers alerts if you select them. For me, I have it set to send me a text every time I have an international transaction. It's up to me to respond if anything looks suspicious. Otherwise it apparently will go through. I have never had any problem with either of these two cards when traveling.

Debit cards are a different issue. Even though I have an account that I only use for travel, I do let them know each time that I will be traveling -- when and where. 

On 8/15/2019 at 9:03 PM, feathersandnananose said:

Lesson learned: if you are pickpocketed, go to the police to make sure you get an official report.  You won't get your stuff back, but it's proof that you really suffered a loss.  It's a pain in the butt, but if you need to verify, it's very helpful to have the documentation.  And go ahead and push your CC company...

When I was pickpocketed in Barcelona years ago, I was advised to get a police report. It makes things so much easier. The thieves had a go with my cards but I had no liability and the funds from my bank account were replaced very quickly. Amex was able to get a new card to me the next day. Luckily, I had left most of my extra cash, a "just in case" credit card and my passport at my hotel.

On 8/15/2019 at 9:17 PM, Tapi said:

I travel internationally for work almost on a weekly basis and I never inform my credit card company of my travels. My international activity has never been flagged, but it got flagged when I attempted to use my card at my local Target, 10 minutes away from my house. I truly wonder how the algorithm to determine fraud works. 

I travel a lot for work internationally also.  I have had a couple of cards flagged for actual fraudulent charges.  And once, it did not get flagged, but I happened to check online.

I don't notify any of the card companies about travel.  I have a couple of alerts when I tried to do an online purchase while traveling, but just had to respond to allow it.  I get both text (if phone is on) and email alerts.

Funniest one was, my WORK travel card got suspended.  For traveling. 😄

I checked out a hotel, went to the airport, took a 3.5 hour flight, and then went to check into the hotel.  Card bounced.  So I checked in with one of my personal cards, and then called the card company.

The agent tells me, they suspended the card due to suspicious activity.  I asked what activity.  Well, your card was using in X country in the morning and attempted to be used in Y country later that same day.  I asked him, 'have you every heard of a thing called and AIRPLANE?'  He didn't get it, so I told him that I FLEW from one country to the other.   All he could say was 'Oh, so it wasn't fraud."  Nope, just an every day thing.  They unsuspended my card.

BTW, for those who call and tell the card company, even though they say to not bother, what are you accomplishing? They are not taking down that info, as they have no way to deal with it.  It will not stop them from holding a charge.  And you will still have to call them.

Edited by SRF
  • Like 1

I now   travel as a solo  and cannot (will not) chance being alone, away from home without access to my credit cards.  I always call to tell my travel plans and hope  I can use my card,s  if I wish,   with no issues  .    Why avoid calling and risk having a problem when you are traveling?

image.png.2ce612ab8001d8dbec5742483885ea1b.png

Edited by sail7seas