Intimidation vs Tipping

rattanchair

The Cruisers Guide to Win Friends and Influence People.  ( Or How To Get Super Service and Not Pay For It )

By 'people' I am referring to wait staff on board cruise ships, waiters, waitresses, bartenders, etc.

Step #1 A 'smile' and a friendly "Hello". Followed by a casual "Oh is Marco still the Food & Beverage Manager on board?" "I must see him and say 'Hello' !"

( A real 'sponger' will find out the F&B manager's name before they board the ship !)

Stay tuned for step #2.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Before I post Step #2  Please feel free to post your 'Fairytail'  encounter with wait staff while on board the ships of the beautiful MSC Cruises. How your winning smile  and demeanor got your glass filled while everyone else had a hard time getting wait staff attention.

Step # 2   With a smile and an 'attitude' you head to guest services, near the end of the cruise, and request a meeting with the Hotel Manager. You have a list of spurious complaints about the cabin.( the longer the list the better). Add to that, the poor service you have received from your cabin attendant, the worst in over ( put in a # over 50) cruises and you want satisfaction!!!

These 'Moochers' often hit the 'Tri-fecta' of cruise line 'Intimidators'. They receive a letter from the Hotel manager giving them a voucher for hundreds $$ off a future cruise, which the 'parasite' follows up with demanding the mandatory gratuities be remove from his ship board account and rounds out his entire cruise by stiffing the entire staff; justifiably so in his or her warped mind.

40 minutes ago, Haworth said:

notice the implied criticism of passengers from Countries without an obsessive tipping culture

Those are your words, not mine. It appears that my posts are like 'Rorschach Inkblots'. Readers  read what they want to read out of them.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Haworth said:

Step 2 notice the implied criticism of passengers from Countries without an obsessive tipping culture

One could also imply by your statement that you condone intimidation over obsessive tipping. But I do not think a fellow CC poster as yourself is so callous, just misspoke.

2 hours ago, Haworth said:

Step 1 start reading topic

Step 2 notice the implied criticism of passengers from Countries without an obsessive tipping culture

Step 3 Don't read further

You don't think people from countries with an obsessive tipping culture wouldn't do this? Ignoramuses go across cultures. I can easily think of countries known for their excessive tipping habits to also be the ones who take advantage of everything, complain, look for the free stuff because they complained, then remove their 'obligatory' tips 'because they can', and then bad mouth the staff. Smuggly go off with the 'it's my right' attitude. Self aggrandizement at a cruising level.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rattanchair...

Sad but true.

Pretty mush everyday we would hear people complaining loudly about something, while we sat there and just smiled.  We would get our drinks faster.  Heck the waitress even sat with us one night and told us what to hit/miss at the next port.

A smile works wonders!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For step #2, you also need to include those cruisers who have stepped out of their tiny part of the world and their favorite cruise line  to start their list of complaints with "But on Carnival...."

My hero was the guest services person that looked the complainer in the eye and responded, "You are not on Carnival.  Next" looking at the next person on line (which was me).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant observations!

Sad but true!

People who remove grats... 👿  I can only hope karma isn't far behind them.

3 hours ago, Haworth said:

Step 1 start reading topic

Step 3 Don't read further

@Haworth   ?? perhaps you missed 

3 hours ago, rattanchair said:

Step # 2     These 'Moochers' often hit the 'Tri-fecta' of cruise line 'Intimidators'. They receive a letter from the Hotel manager giving them a voucher for hundreds $$ off a future cruise, which the 'parasite' follows up with demanding the mandatory gratuities be remove from his ship board account and rounds out his entire cruise by stiffing the entire staff; justifiably so in his or her warped mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

For step #2, you also need to include those cruisers who have stepped out of their tiny part of the world and their favorite cruise line  to start their list of complaints with "But on Carnival...."

My hero was the guest services person that looked the complainer in the eye and responded, "You are not on Carnival.  Next" looking at the next person on line (which was me).

OMG....so true.

Especially here it seems like a lot of people come over from Carnival.  They seem to think Carnival is the only way to do things.

The "But on Carnival..." people are also on the other lines and cannot understand that there are differences.

The part that annoys me the most about these kinds of people is that they end up hurting the ones with actual legitimate gripes because the Guest Services desk is just tired of the same old excuses, not realizing that this time it actually happened.

Here's something else:

"I think the cruise lines should pay their employees a living wage.

It's not up to me to subsidize them.

Of course, I'll let the staff think I'll be tipping them.  I don't have the guts to admit that I'll be removing the tips ON THE LAST DAY."

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

Rattanchair......I think I will take a tip out of your book and tip everybody at least $150 

Some rich relation must have died and left you an inheritance and you intend to squander it away. 'Easy come, easy go',  old man.

Edited by rattanchair