Difference in price Uber vs taxi

rundent

2 hours ago, victory2020 said:

I found Uber to play games in Miami. Price kept going up as quotes I got kept cancelling out. Happened 4 times & last quote to the airport was higher than the taxis sitting in front of me. 

+1.  I am a big fan of UBER but the Port of Miami is one place that I would not use them.

additionally, taxis are readily available and (usually) a brief wait.  Uber could take a lot longer to arrive.

Edited by Nachosdelux

Oddly enough I've had the opposite experience in Miami with Uber. They were there at terminal J within a couple of minutes, long lines in the Taxi que. Great driver in a nice clean car that got us to the airport at the price quoted. 

I tend to always get a better price and experience with Uber. Frankly I find most taxi drivers in big cities rude and uncommunicative, with junky, dirty cars.

8 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Is there a particular reason why nobody is talking about Lyft?

I prefer them to Uber.

Paul, we've never downloaded the Lyft app as we've been happy with Uber, I do notice a lot of drivers will drive for both. I have no experience with using Lyft, that's why I didn't mention it. 

Why is you prefer them? Maybe we'll get the app. 

Edited by ORV

I am an infrequent user of either one but my experiences with Lyft have been better overall.

There has also been a fair amount of unfavorable publicity about Uber (both the corporate side as well as drivers) - I have heard none of this about Lyft (maybe because fewer people use them?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Oddly enough I've had the opposite experience in Miami with Uber. They were there at terminal J within a couple of minutes, long lines in the Taxi que. Great driver in a nice clean car that got us to the airport at the price quoted. 

Our experience with Uber in Miami was mixed.  Airport to hotel and ship to airport were fine.  Hotel  to Terminal J was not.  We pointed out the turn off to Terminal J, but the driver ignored us and took to the far end so we had a tour of all the terminals on the way back to J.  He either wanted to pad the mileage for a higher fare or was simply clueless and lost.

Edited by 1985rz1

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Is there a particular reason why nobody is talking about Lyft?

I prefer them to Uber.

I also prefer Lyft and have had good luck with them.

I initially used Uber, but when Lyft added in-APP tipping functionality I switched to them so I wouldn't have to tip in cash.

Uber now has tipping available in the APP, but I have heard that Lyft treats their drivers better, so I've primarily stayed with them.

We have had good service using Lyft from our hotel in South Beach to the POM, but have never tried it from the port to the airport.

Edited by bbqoug

My son uses both frequently and prefers Lyft also. I haven't loaded it because I so infrequently use it that it would be too much of a hassle to have both [but I might after this conversation]. 

Also note that the airport that I had inquired about was FLL, so I don't know it that makes a difference.

I also only use Lyft.  Most drivers around here, SF, will often drive for both. They toggle back and forth depending about numerous factors that influence their pay.   However, if you ask, they prefer Lyft over Uber as I assume they get a better % of the fare.