Radio Silence From NCL

Jetdoctorbox

I’ve called NCL and inquired several times about our cruise on the Sun due to set sail tomorrow at 4:00 pm and asked for any updates in reference to Tropical Storm Dorian. They keep telling us nothing has changed and we’ll be sailing the planned route. Well, I have to throw the BS flag on that one. For us to sail the exact same route we’d be sailing directly into the path of the storm. We are a little more than 24 hrs out from setting sail and there have been no emails sent out or updates on this cruise.  All we’re asking for is a little common courtesy.  Every other cruise line has sent out some type of response to this storm or rerouted their ships. There has been nothing more than “Radio Silence” from NCL which is unacceptable and irresponsible. Looks like this will be the last time (If we do) cruise on Norwegian Cruise Line. 

There are some good threads about the volatile weather over on the Hurricane Zone section.  You may want to check it out.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/305-hurricane-zone/

As far as NCL goes a lot can happen in 24 hours with these types of storms so it's not unusual to hear about changes until right before your cruise.   In many cases they are criticized when they change too early and criticized when they wait.  One of the hazards of sailing during hurricane season.

Hope all works out well for you and you have a good cruise.  Also, NCL will put up a weather bulletin on their home page if there is a change.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It is very common for no info this far out yes you feel 24hrs but all cruise lines have there own weather and logistics teams that closely monitor. Also yes they can be sailing the same route but that only means same scheduled ports they change path in ocean to the port which could miss the most of the storm

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jetdoctorbox said:

I’ve called NCL and inquired several times about our cruise on the Sun due to set sail tomorrow at 4:00 pm and asked for any updates in reference to Tropical Storm Dorian. They keep telling us nothing has changed and we’ll be sailing the planned route. Well, I have to throw the BS flag on that one. For us to sail the exact same route we’d be sailing directly into the path of the storm. We are a little more than 24 hrs out from setting sail and there have been no emails sent out or updates on this cruise.  All we’re asking for is a little common courtesy.  Every other cruise line has sent out some type of response to this storm or rerouted their ships. There has been nothing more than “Radio Silence” from NCL which is unacceptable and irresponsible. Looks like this will be the last time (If we do) cruise on Norwegian Cruise Line. 

I may be missing some point here, but if you are obviously concerned about the weather, why did you decide to cruise in tropical storm territory

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Cruising in hurricane season is like a box of chocolates. You just never know what you'll get. 

Stop worrying about it and get on the bloody boat. It's going to take you somewhere that's not work or home. 😁

Thanks for your suggestions!  I’m really not worried about getting on the “boat”. It’s poor customer service that I worry about. 

• Like 1

These storms are unpredictable at best.  It would be futile to start releasing plans before things are certain.

It is hurricane season.....show up and let them handle it.

Edited by ray98
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, cottagers2000 said:

I may be missing some point here, but if you are obviously concerned about the weather, why did you decide to cruise in tropical storm territory

See, I knew it.  Not that I don't agree with the above poster.

However, in April or before when posters ask if they should cruise during hurricane season, everyone posts "not a problem, the cruise line will just go around the storm, we've been on 2000 cruises, never had a problem....etc."  

I always mention that's what you'll hear now, but if you run into problems, people will post "what did you expect, you booked a cruise during hurricane season." LOL

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, cottagers2000 said:

Really not all too worried about the weather, we just like to be informed. We realized when we booked this cruise it was hurricane season and we would be taking a chance. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mafig said:

See, I knew it.  Not that I don't agree with the above poster.

However, in April or before when posters ask if they should cruise during hurricane season, everyone posts "not a problem, the cruise line will just go around the storm, we've been on 2000 cruises, never had a problem....etc."  

I always mention that's what you'll hear now, but if you run into problems, people will post "what did you expect, you booked a cruise during hurricane season." LOL

.....but there is no problem.

• Like 2

@Jetdoctorbox 1) The people answering the phones can only relay information they are given. 2) There is no way NCL has made a call yet. According to Al Roker this morning there are at least 3 tracks this storm could take. Until at least two of the major models agree, guessing would be like spitting in the wind. 3) Bad customer service would be providing incorrect information or not answering your call at all. 4) There is a chance nothing will change at all.

I have a cruise planned in September, I knew the risk. Try to relax and have a backup plan. 

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 3

We were scheduled on a cruise in September and there was a hurricane.  Before sailing no word of what was going to happen, when we boarded we were told we were going to the Western Caribbean, not the East.  Just before we sailed the announcement was made that we were back to the original itinerary.  As the above poster said, no one knows yet and if they announce a change they may just have to change it again.  You have to go with the flow.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

We were scheduled on a cruise in September and there was a hurricane.  Before sailing no word of what was going to happen, when we boarded we were told we were going to the Western Caribbean, not the East.  Just before we sailed the announcement was made that we were back to the original itinerary.  As the above poster said, no one knows yet and if they announce a change they may just have to change it again.  You have to go with the flow.  

Thanks for sharing! I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. 

• Like 1

The reason NCL is not saying anything is because there is nothing to say at this time.  Look at the amount of changes in just 3 days.  3 days ago it was a tropical storm that was going to weaken as it hit the Dominican Republic and go over the Bahamas as a tropical depression.  Then 2 days ago the path changed again and it was clipping the Dominican Republic and going to hit south Florida as a tropical storm.  Today, its missing the Dominican Republic all together and will be a hurricane and possibly hit north Florida as a major hurricane.  This was only 72 hours.  Just imagine the next 3 days.  You would be a fool to make any changes at this time because no one knows what is going to happen. There are some models that have it going out to sea.

Changes can happen even as you board the ship.  I know its nerve wracking but just imagine those who's lives will be forever impacted by the storm.  Vacations can be taken at any time.

• Like 2

Nobody is sure what the storm is doing, how strong it may become, or where it is going.

The Sun's itinerary may be outside the storm's track (although the ship may be rocking and rolling - hope you booked a cabin low and amidships) or it might be impacted  and need to change course.

If the National Storm enter doesn't know, why should NCL be changing the itinerary at this point?

1 hour ago, Jetdoctorbox said:

Just curious, how do you know what every other cruise line has done?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jetdoctorbox said:

Unacceptable and Irresponsible? LOL

Relax, today is Wednesday, your cruise leaves on Sunday. Thats plenty of time for things to happen and change. A few years ago we found out a cruise we were taking was changing from Bermuda to Florida about 24 hours before we left.

Living in Florida you of all people should know how storms can change at a drop of a hat. Just like I know living in the Northeast how we can go from getting a blizzard with 2 ft of snow to a half inch of snow in 12 hours

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 2

Agree that those of us (me included) who book at times when  potentially bad weather could occur, the risks are known.  I'm sailing this Sunday.  I knew when I booked it was going to be the heart of the hurricane season.  I also saved about 1/3 to 1/2 of the normal fare if I had sailed during high season.

This storm is, as they say, really unpredictable.  I heard one weather person state that it's even confounding all the storm models he's run in simulation.

BTW, I called NCL, too.  They said they're getting lots of calls, but they really don't know how the storm will turn out.  They're giving you the same information as is available to all of us.  Tomorrow, that information will have likely changed.

You'll (we'll) be sailing somewhere.  I know I'm sailing westward...away from the storm.  So, not too worried except for any delays of the ship docking and then disembarking again out of Miami.  

If I were sailing the Eastern Caribbean?  I'd probably expect a change of itinerary.

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Agree that those of us (me included) who book at times when  potentially bad weather could occur, the risks are known.  I'm sailing this Sunday.  I knew when I booked it was going to be the heart of the hurricane season.  I also saved about 1/3 to 1/2 of the normal fare if I had sailed during high season.

This storm is, as they say, really unpredictable.  I heard one weather person state that it's even confounding all the storm models he's run in simulation.

BTW, I called NCL, too.  They said they're getting lots of calls, but they really don't know how the storm will turn out.  They're giving you the same information as is available to all of us.  Tomorrow, that information will have likely changed.

You'll (we'll) be sailing somewhere.  I know I'm sailing westward...away from the storm.  So, not too worried except for any delays of the ship docking and then disembarking again out of Miami.  

If I were sailing the Eastern Caribbean?  I'd probably expect a change of itinerary.

graphicguy - are you on my 9/1 sailing to Bermuda??

7 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Unacceptable and Irresponsible? LOL

Relax, today is Wednesday, your cruise leaves on Sunday. Thats plenty of time for things to happen and change. A few years ago we found out a cruise we were taking was changing from Bermuda to Florida about 24 hours before we left.

Living in Florida you of all people should know how storms can change at a drop of a hat. Just like I know living in the Northeast how we can go from getting a blizzard with 2 ft of snow to a half inch of snow in 12 hours

I’m well aware of the weather here in Florida and how things change.  I’ve lived all over the country and have experienced all types of weather. I’ve even lived thru Katrina. And as I’ve stated before, it’s not the weather but the customer service I’m not fond of. When I call up and ask a simple question and get attitude in return, that’s when I have a problem. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jetdoctorbox said:

I’m well aware of the weather here in Florida and how things change.  I’ve lived all over the country and have experienced all types of weather. I’ve even lived thru Katrina. And as I’ve stated before, it’s not the weather but the customer service I’m not fond of. When I call up and ask a simple question and get attitude in return, that’s when I have a problem. 

NCL is getting Thousand of calls like yours. Right now they don't have any statement or any idea what they are doing in 3-4 days. What is not to understand?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

NCL is getting Thousand of calls like yours. Right now they don't have any statement or any idea what they are doing in 3-4 days. What is not to understand?

They should put exactly that on their website, so what is it you don’t understand!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Jetdoctorbox said:

They should put exactly that on their website, so what is it you don’t understand!

Tells me they don't have a comment at this time.....

I guess next time you might want to sail with RC....  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1