Back from EDGE 30th and some answers

Presto2

33 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I agree that they are more comfortable than they look. 🙂

As a side note, I hope you have a great trip next week. Is your Florida home all set for any hurricane issues?  It looks like the path has moved.  I know you've been through it all before, but it still must be difficult each time a hurricane hits..…

Have to say we met many lovely people from Florida on the cruise and our thoughts go out to them and anyone affected over the coming days.

23 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Have to say we met many lovely people from Florida on the cruise and our thoughts go out to them and anyone affected over the coming days.

Same here - hope all our Cruise Critic family and their loved ones and homes stays safe!

Adding to the wishes for all  Floridians including extended famiy in the Pembroke Pines area.  Hoping the storm tracks off the coast and out of there. Sadly,  there will be heavy rain, flooding  and beach erosion, no matter what. 

Our place in Venice is fully shuttered...abundance of caution.  We are definitely getting a gas generator this season!  Even  few days without electricity in Fla humidity is very bad!

Feel sad for so many cruisers and others whose  plans are  disrupted..hoping all goes well!

As to EDGE.....how was the Rooftop area and Sunset Bar..any more shade or wind protection?

Edited by hcat

24 minutes ago, hcat said:

As to EDGE.....how was the Rooftop area and Sunset Bar..any more shade or wind protection?

No - in a word. I felt really sorry for the bar staff at the Sunset Bar one day as they were just pouring with sweat as it was so hot and they had not shade at all. Something for them to think about --- give them a fan at least !!!!

5 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

No - in a word. I felt really sorry for the bar staff at the Sunset Bar one day as they were just pouring with sweat as it was so hot and they had not shade at all. Something for them to think about --- give them a fan at least !!!!

Guess we'll make a sunset visit....although we will have our own Sunset Veranda!

We'll also try some music up at the Rooftop..if not too windy!  Other than a day 1 walk through of these areas, we never returned...too windy and sunny!

19 minutes ago, hcat said:

Guess we'll make a sunset visit....although we will have our own Sunset Veranda!

We'll also try some music up at the Rooftop..if not too windy!  Other than a day 1 walk through of these areas, we never returned...too windy and sunny!

We loved the Rooftop area as the weather was wonderful and apart from Mykonos no winds whatsoever.

Re the Sunset Bar ---- just perfect for us and lots of others. The staff are amazing, the seats so comfy and just peaceful !

3 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I agree that they are more comfortable than they look. 🙂

As a side note, I hope you have a great trip next week. Is your Florida home all setI know you've been through it all before, but it still must be difficult each time a hurricane hits.....

We’ve been through a couple of biggies, Wilma and Irma.  Wilma took down our pool cage but minor damage elsewhere.  Lady Luck was with us for Irma, just a few roof tiles and one screen panel ripped on the cage.  Now we need to keep Dorian away from Maine.

Presto, we had the opposite problem with LPC, service was so slow that we left before dessert.  There were a lot of families and long periods between courses.

Katie

Edited by Oville

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

We loved the Rooftop area as the weather was wonderful and apart from Mykonos no winds whatsoever.

Re the Sunset Bar ---- just perfect for us and lots of others. The staff are amazing, the seats so comfy and just peaceful !

We,ll take your rec.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Oville said:

We’ve been through a couple of biggies, Wilma and Irma.  Wilma took down our pool cage but minor damage elsewhere.  Lady Luck was with us for Irma, just a few roof tiles and one screen panel ripped on the cage.  Now we need to keep Dorian away from Maine.

Presto, we had the opposite problem with LPC, service was so slow that we left before dessert.  There were a lot of families and long periods between courses.

Katie

The pace of the dinner seems to be the downside of LPC - a couple of laggards can slow it down and you can see where they might have to rush the end (especially the first seating so that they can get set up for the next seating). I know some people who eat every single bite very slowly - I will never bring them to LPC. 😉

Will keep you in our thoughts as far as the hurricane...

Edited by vtcruising

Presto2- Thank you for posting your balanced review.  It seems that you loved Edge but there were a few things here and there (like Eden) not to your taste.  That is how some of us also feel about the ship.  We enjoyed the Eden space but not the show.  Loved the Eden Cafe for lunch too.  Everybody seems to really like the SV cabins.  Your review should be helpful for those deciding on an Edge cruise.

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2019 at 11:42 AM, vtcruising said:

Not a dream.....

image.jpeg.65835e842299cf32219d8082d5ebd81b.jpeg

And there was this guy:

image.png.1a1c24355e2d06df66366a0820fbea47.png

I remember we had some joke going along the lines of "if a polar bear, a penguin and a horse walk into the Sunset Bar...."  🙂

Ah yes... I remember starting that one, lol... 😉

• Haha 1

Just now, C-Dragons said:

Ah yes... I remember starting that one, lol... 😉

So you are the one to blame!😉

I think someone wanted a puppy too. Oh well, hopefully we will have something fun to talk about on the Apex sometime. I wonder if the polar bear will return....

Good to hear from you, C-Dragons!!

Presto 2, I'm so glad to hear that you loved the Edge as much as we did!

We're booked on the Apex Inaugural TA in October 2020 and impatiently waiting for the cruises for Beyond to be released. The Edge class ships will just keep getting better, IMO. 😊

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vtcruising said:

So you are the one to blame!😉

I think someone wanted a puppy too. Oh well, hopefully we will have something fun to talk about on the Apex sometime. I wonder if the polar bear will return....

Good to hear from you, C-Dragons!!

Thanks VT ! 😊

• Like 2

On 8/31/2019 at 10:44 AM, Presto2 said:

To say we enjoyed her would be an understatement --- we LOVED her ! Nearly cried when I saw Mr EDGE for the first time and definitely had tears on the last night. Hubby thinks I am soppy --- ha ha.

We had 11270 - it is one that can be part of a suite so we shared a corridor with 11268.

Thanks for posting your review.  We are actually in 11270 in March and so looking forward to it.  So you’re saying there is already 1 lounger on the balcony ?  And are you saying that all you have to do is ask for one if a lounger is not there ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Thanks for posting your review.  We are actually in 11270 in March and so looking forward to it.  So you’re saying there is already 1 lounger on the balcony ?  And are you saying that all you have to do is ask for one if a lounger is not there ?

There were 2 chairs, a sturdy metal table that was good for a foot stool and a sun lounger. Not sure why it was there but am guessing someone had asked for one and it had stayed. When we looked at the aft of the ship from the quayside in Malta we noticed that the majority of SV cabin balconies had sun loungers on them. (The ones we could see). Am guessing that they have responded to requests and are just leaving them there.

If you have 11270 you will have a wonderful time - it is a fabulous cabin and probably the best we have ever stayed in.

(The only thing we noticed was on the first night when the ship was doing 21 knots the tv seemed to be vibrating. We worked out that it was the cable behind the tv hitting the panel on the wall. It didn't happen again but if it rattles a sock would keep it quiet --- ha ha)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sascol said:

“5 : The sturdy metal table we had in our SV was good enough to be a footstool so no worries there!”

Except for for the next set of passengers that would use the table for food and beverages. Gross. 

Considering it is outside and cleaned down / hosed regularly I am not apologising for this one ---- you wont be having food and beverages off that table anyway as it is too small. It is the one on the balcony open to the elements all of the time anyway and there are spots of soot on it quite frequently ….

If you're worried take an anti bacterial wet wipe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

There were 2 chairs, a sturdy metal table that was good for a foot stool and a sun lounger. Not sure why it was there but am guessing someone had asked for one and it had stayed. When we looked at the aft of the ship from the quayside in Malta we noticed that the majority of SV cabin balconies had sun loungers on them. (The ones we could see). Am guessing that they have responded to requests and are just leaving them there.

If you have 11270 you will have a wonderful time - it is a fabulous cabin and probably the best we have ever stayed in.

(The only thing we noticed was on the first night when the ship was doing 21 knots the tv seemed to be vibrating. We worked out that it was the cable behind the tv hitting the panel on the wall. It didn't happen again but if it rattles a sock would keep it quiet --- ha ha)

Perfect

thanks

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Considering it is outside and cleaned down / hosed regularly I am not apologising for this one ---- you wont be having food and beverages off that table anyway as it is too small. It is the one on the balcony open to the elements all of the time anyway and there are spots of soot on it quite frequently ….

If you're worried take an anti bacterial wet wipe

Soot ??  How much? How often?

Did  the attendant clean it daily?

We  were caught in soot incident on Silhouette, aft bar ,  and  were covered .in oily black soot head to toes.  Hope nothing like that.

( btw X  responded quickly,  got med care  for some who had it in their eyes, nostrils and ears  and cleaned everyones clothes for free...)

Hope deck 7 SV would not be affected by soot

Edited by hcat

1 minute ago, hcat said:

Soot ??  How much? How often?

Did  the attendant clean it daily?

We  were caught in soot incident on Silhouette, aft bar ,  and  were covered .in oily black soot head to toes.  Hope nothing like that.

( btw X  responded quickly,  got med care  for some who had it in their eyes, nostrils and ears  and cleaned everyones clothes for free...)

Stop worrying :-)

There were the odd little bits most days --- and I mean a bout 5 little bits at the most about 1mm by 1mm maximum.

The worst night we had more but nothing like you have said above. We just stayed in side as hubby had about 4 bits on his white shirt (about 2mm length max) and I didn't want to ruin a new blouse I had had from Greece.

It was only washed down the day that it was needed we think - it was always pretty clean though so he could have done it more often but it was so hot that it would have dried before we noticed.

Definitely not as much soot as on Silly

8 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Stop worrying 🙂

There were the odd little bits most days --- and I mean a bout 5 little bits at the most about 1mm by 1mm maximum.

The worst night we had more but nothing like you have said above. We just stayed in side as hubby had about 4 bits on his white shirt (about 2mm length max) and I didn't want to ruin a new blouse I had had from Greece.

It was only washed down the day that it was needed we think - it was always pretty clean though so he could have done it more often but it was so hot that it would have dried before we noticed.

Definitely not as much soot as on Silly

We had a similar experience in the aft S1 on the Edge - hardly noticeable. We have sailed in the aft many, many times and it is one of the downsides that we have learned to deal with in order to have larger balconies and a wake view. It was nothing compared to some of the RCI ships' aft balconies.

How's your post-Edge withdrawal? I feel your pain. 🙁

Presto, did you go to any specialty restaurants besides LPC? 

We will be on Edge Valentines week, and purposefully booked the least expensive cabin we felt comfortable in, in order to try as many of restaurants as possible.

With some kind input from Vtcruising, we booked Fine Cut for our actual Valentines dinner, but I’m having buyer’s remorse as I hear more and more people comment on the noise.

I don’t have reliable internet until Wednesday, so please feel free to answer in your review if that was your original plan. Glad you had a good cruise,

Edited by cangelmd

16 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Presto, did you go to any specialty restaurants besides LPC? 

We will be on Edge Valentines week, and purposefully booked the least expensive cabin we felt comfortable in, in order to try as many of restaurants as possible.

With some kind input from Vtcruising, we booked Fine Cut for our actual Valentines dinner, but I’m having buyer’s remorse as I hear more and more people comment on the noise.

I don’t have reliable internet until Wednesday, so please feel free to answer in your review if that was your original plan. Glad you had a good cruise,

In case she doesn't get back soon, she answered my question about the FCSH earlier in the thread (easy to miss). 🙂 She went there for her anniversary dinner. Maybe she will come back with more details about the good table she chose and food items she enjoyed.

"The FCS was lovely and our waiter Danielo was a star. Had a nice cake from them and another cake and wine later in the cruise. Really enjoyed our evening and they gave us a table we had requested. I found the main course a bit rich but that wasn't the restaurant's fault."

Edited by vtcruising