Help a Yank! Sand Tobogganing Moreton Island

TV Dad

Greetings Australian cruisers! I'm an American, who will be visiting Australia in 2020 and I need some help. We'll be visiting Moreton Island on our cruise next March. We have heard sand tobogganing on the dunes is a great adventure. I have not found any companies on-line offering rides. Any suggestions?

11 hours ago, Docker123 said:

We used to do this as kids, also on grass banks, in Perth. As my mother says, “there’s no snow in Perth you silly child”.

When the kids were young we used to spray Pure & Simple (do they still even make that?) on the bottom of large pieces of cardboard and they'd toboggan down the grass slopes of the local park.  

34 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Used to do it all the time, either down the grass into the lake or up Nelson Bay way, great fun, all you need is a bit of cardboards and a goof grass or sand slope, no way I’d pay for the pleasure.

I used to make my own sand "ski". A length of floor board varnished and waxed. Made a small seat at the back and a piece of inner tube at the front for a foot hold like on a water ski. My mates and I would then hitch hike, walk or bike it over to the Belmont dunes. It was good exercise climbing back up the dunes after each run.

• 1 month later...

I have visited Tangalooma on Moreton island every year for the past 30 years. The sand tobogganing  is great fun ( I’m a bit passed it now). You need to book either on the cruise ship or at the resort. If you wait to book at the resort it will be booked out so I strongly recommend you book the ship tour. If you miss out on the tour you can actually walk to The Desert and see the sand dunes. You won’t be able to Tabogan as you won’t have a board but the views you see of the island on the way are fantastic. You can get a map at reception we usually walk up on the route behind the resort and come back along the beach. It takes 30 to 45 minutes one way quite a hard walk lots of steps up and down hill and on sand but I’m old and unfit and still manage it! When the kids were young we discovered the walk and started taking our homemade sand boards made out of Masonite much cheaper than doing the tour! 

Edited by floatingpepperpot