Flight timing

j4farm

What are your thoughts on a 10:45 am flight out of FLL after debarking at Port Everglades on January 25, 2020?  Do you think it will be doable?  We’re supposed to be back at 8:00. It seems like in the past we usually get back before daylight. 

23 minutes ago, j4farm said:

What are your thoughts on a 10:45 am flight out of FLL after debarking at Port Everglades on January 25, 2020?  Do you think it will be doable?  We’re supposed to be back at 8:00. It seems like in the past we usually get back before daylight. 

It's not when you get back, it's when they clear the ship and allow disembarkation.  Do you have any perk that allows you to get off early?  Platinum/diamond?  A suite?

13 minutes ago, ParrotRob said:

It's not when you get back, it's when they clear the ship and allow disembarkation.  Do you have any perk that allows you to get off early?  Platinum/diamond?  A suite?

Or one could just walk off early by self disembarkation. The airport is 10-15 minutes away.

On our last cruise out of FLL there was a back-up at customs and we had over a 1 hour wait. They were also delaying people from leaving the ship trying to clear the backup.   We had a 1 pm flight, so we weren't worried, but many others were.  Also, if the ship is delayed for any reason - medical emergency, weather, etc. - it might be tight unless you are the first off the ship.  Yes, the airport is very close - but you never know....

10 hours ago, j4farm said:

This gets asked every day. Ask flight questions here: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/386-florida-departures/

• Like 1

If you have to ask the question, it’s because you know that the flight is too early. Don’t risk missing it and just book a later flight. It’s not worth ending your vacation on a stressful note. Anything can happen that can make your debarkation different than a typical debarkation, so it really doesn’t matter what other people have experienced. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DramaQueen22 said:

You took the time to cut and paste a link, but couldn't actually answer the question?

Isn't that what you read? You took the time to ask me that but didn't answer the question? Do post cruise flight question times out of FLL belong in the Carnival forum or in the Florida departures or cruise forum where this is asked and answered daily? Right, thanks ........

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tallnthensome said:

Isn't that what you read? You took the time to ask me that but didn't answer the question? Do post cruise flight question times out of FLL belong in the Carnival forum or in the Florida departures or cruise forum where this is asked and answered daily? Right, thanks ........

I see no issue with this question being asked in the Carnival forum.  The OP wants to know if they can make an early flight after their Carnival cruise.  And it is far easier to simply ask one's question than use the search function, or go to another thread that contains a lot more information that they may be looking for.

And to answer the actual question, I wouldn't take that early flight.  You never know when the ship will be cleared to disembark, and one small delay at Customs will back things up for everyone.  Getting to the airport later and potentially missing a flight isn't worth it in m opinion.  Better to book after noon.

Odds are you will make it just fine if you carry your bags off yourself. When we've done that, we have arrived at the airport before 8:30 am.  I would book that flight and find out where to meet for the early flight passengers because then you will be able to walk off the ship quickly.

Thanks everyone that answered my question.  I haven't totally decided, but I think I may risk it.  I will be able to do the self debark, and will let them know I have an early flight.  How do you get a customs pre-check?  That sounds like a good idea. 

Thanks again.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, j4farm said:

Thanks everyone that answered my question.  I haven't totally decided, but I think I may risk it.  I will be able to do the self debark, and will let them know I have an early flight.  How do you get a customs pre-check?  That sounds like a good idea. 

Thanks again.

It's very easy to apply for Pre-check, but needs to be done ahead of time.  My husband and I filled out some information online and scheduled an appointment at our local airport.  We scheduled it for a day we were going to be at the airport for a flight, so it wasn't a big deal.  The appointment took less than 15 minutes.  We answered questions and had our fingerprints taken.  Although approval can take weeks, we were both approved three days later.  We were given Pre-Check numbers.  I entered those numbers on all of my airline accounts (Delta, United, American, Southwest).  Whenever I print my boarding pass, it has pre-check on it.  This saves a lot of time at busy airports.

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck

Also, Carnival should have a special area for people who have early flights and can carry their bags off themselves.  Be sure to check with guest services to find out where and when to meet.

Edited by TNcruising02

51 minutes ago, j4farm said:

Thanks again.

Since that flight is outside the cruise line recommendations, your travel insurance will not cover you should you miss it.  Everglades does have Global Entry if it is running.  TSA Precheck only helps at the airport after you deposit your luggage. It has nothing to do with Customs. 

I have been at FLL  with few ships in, walked right up to the counter and breezed thru security.  I have also been there with 9 ships, with more than 90 minutes to check luggage curbside, not being allowed to enter the luggage counter line until 2 hours before flight with  another 45 minutes in security.  There is a reason airlines price flights cheaper before noon.

I booked an early flight from the St Pete airport one time out of Tampa (wasn't even thinking about the time) anyway, the flight was around 10:30 am and the scheduled time in port was 8... It was a weekday so there was going to be rush hour traffic, and St Pete is quite a distance from Tampa....When I realized what I did, I was so mad at myself for doing something so stupid..... When I did my online check in I was sure to let Carnival know my airline arrangements and the last day of the cruise I received a letter telling me where to be at 7 am with our luggage.  There were a about 5 other couples in the lounge that next morning and we were the first off the ship.  We were off the ship by around 7:15 instead of the posted port time of 8 and were at the airport by 8 am.  Now will I cut it so close again.... absolutely not....  But kuddos to Carnival for making it happen....

• 4 weeks later...

If you are platinum then it is certainly doable.  We just came back from the Magic on Saturday.  We chose to check our luggage the night before.  The meeting time for platinum cruisers in the dining room was listed at 8:00, but we went at 7:40.  Zone one was called at 7:50.  We got a porter at the luggage area and he took us around the line at customs.  We were sitting on a taxi to the airport at 8:10 and through security at the airport and heading to our gate at 8:37.  Our flight was 10:37 (boarding at 10:02), so we had plenty of time to spare. From our balcony we saw Platinum / Diamond cruisers doing self assist heading off the ship at 6:40.  So yes, it is very doable.  I would definitely do it again.