Half Moon Cay?

crazycruzer68

I was wondering the same thing. I think its further south from storm on the cleaner side.  “ Cruise line private islands that are located near Cat Island are Half Moon Cay and Princess Cays and were not affected by the storm.” Feel bad for those poor people in bahamas, Texas is no stranger to storms.  This from a cruise news website.

I believe Half Moon Cay is OK. It’s located farther south. I read on the Royal forum that Coco Cay, which is only 40 miles south of the path of the hurricane, was reporting minimal damage. Castaway Cay is the closest private island to the path of the hurricane and all I’d read about it was that Disney employees remained in the island during the hurricane and are all safe and accounted for. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lottacruises said:

I know plenty are expecting to go there in the next few weeks. John Heald is polling on key west vs half moon cay.....

I wonder what this will mean for an itinerary that already includes key west.

Honestly, I'd rather have an overnighter in Key West or a sea day vs HMC. 

40 minutes ago, coevan said:

HMC is a seaday for us, Serenity area, cheers and no lines for lunch

Always interesting to see people's idea of fun.  In our opinion HMC was the best beach of all the locations we have ever been.  Yes the lines at the pavilion and leaving the island are a pain, but the beach itself is great.   Of course if you aren't into beach, that is mostly what you get.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

HMC is the highlight of our cruise.  Whenever possible, we try to choose HMC as a port of call when we sail Carnival.

While I'd definitely understand if we had to miss the port due to weather (we've missed it twice already), I'd be HIGHLY disappointed.

Garnett

We always get a villa at HMC and love it.  Any idea why, for our sailing, it says "shore excursions are still being scheduled?".  I booked in June and going Christmas week.  We will be there 12/24 and the excursions still are blank for HMC.  The carnival customer service didn't know when I called, she said sometimes it's too early.  Any thoughts?  This has been the case since we booked in June so it's not storm related.  

1 hour ago, coevan said:

not really, the island is beautiful, however I have sailed to most every island in the Caribbean and sitting on a beach with 100's of people is not that attractive to us. We think of it as a sea day + 

Prob our fav stop from a cruise perspective, but to each their own.  I imagine you have a fairly non crowded ship when porting at HMC.

7 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

This port doesn’t pull me one way or the other. It’s a shame to see the devastation of the area that got hit hard. Happy for the places that were not hit.  

There is amazing devastation, it makes me cringe for what they went thru on some of the islands.  I fear on what we will hear of the suffering and loss they endured.  Terrible stuff.