Cruise cancelled 9 weeks prior due to cancer diagnosis - No Refund

SWHLBLBY

Hello All,

I am writing this for info of others and to see if anyone has any advice. 

I was naive and thought I was doing everything right.  I booked early in the year, paid in full to my travel agent and then took out two insurance policies.  I really don't know what else we could have done.  Then 5 weeks ago, my partner received a cancer diagnosis. We discussed the cruise dates and his Doctor advised to start treatment and not travel.  His Doctor wrote a letter to support us and asked for assistance in changing the arrangements.  All parties from hotels, airlines, tours, and car rentals were incredibly helpful and offered refunds, credit vouchers or change of date.  All except NCL.  Our travel agent refunded 25% for which we are very grateful (a big thank you to Clean Cruising in Australia) but we are still $6,300 out of pocket. We would have happily changed to a different cruise date as it would've given us something positive to look forward to. NCL had 9 weeks' notice. The cruise leaves the UK on 27 September and there is still time to sell the room.   Unfortunately,  neither insurance policy covers us in this situation due to a pre-existing medical condition - having had cancer once before our claim was denied.  

I do understand the need for NCL to have a cancellation policy, however I believe it's inequitable, inflexible and unreasonable. NCL has not responded to any of our email requests.  I am hoping that a) in sharing this, others will not end up in our position - I'm aware that most people won't be in our shoes and if this had of been any other diagnosis we would have been covered - perhaps this will only help others in making an informed decision - the way a company deals with you when things go wrong tells you a lot about their corporate ethics -  and    b) I have not yet given up and will persist - if anyone has any advice or experience in how to pursue this successfully, please let me know! 

NCL were great when we booked and had questions - the call centre helped book tours and make dinner reservations onboard - I'm disappointed at how quiet and unresponsive they are now - hang on....  I think that's just me being naive again!

Suzzanne

image.png

Edited by Suzzanne

5 minutes ago, Suzzanne said:

took out two insurance policies.

if you have insurance, why not put it to USE and file a claim with the insurance? The insurance will give you money back you that NCL is not giving you. Start the claim process now, make copies of various documents like the doctor note, confirmation from NCL that you cancel the cruise and showing what they are giving you.

This is common for all cruise lines. All cancellations within xyz weeks of cruise, you get NOTHING BACK regardless of whatever reason like your dog/cat ate your passports

Edited by shof515

I believe that this issue is with the travel insurance company, not with NCL.

The cancellation policy has to be rigid or people will take advantage. Book a cruise at full price and hold the stateroom. Cancel a few weeks before sailing and get a full refund. Book the same stateroom at a hugely discounted price. Everyone would do it.

• Like 2

Thanks so much for your reply - much appreciated!  We are Aussie citizens and booked our travel here - I'm not sure what USE is and if I can use it?  I can't get an email from NCL to confirm anything - they just don't respond.  It was our travel agent in Australia who refunded us.  I'll go have a look for USE!  Thank you!

First of all, my thoughts are with you and your partner, having gone through cancer two times my self I understand what you both must be going through.

However, you have to realistically look at the issues.  First, it is the insurance underwriting firm that is making the decision, not NCL.  And second their policy does spell out the issue concerning preexisting conditions.  I know that it appears inflexible and unreasonable, but the insurance policy is a binding contract.  If the insurance would allow some flexibility and approve your case they would open themselves up to countless lawsuits and additional claims.

• Like 1

I would challenge the denial from your insurance company.  Normally the "look back" period for pre-existing conditions is 60 - 180 days from the plans effective date.  Read your policy thoroughly.

Edited by Oakman58
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I believe that this issue is with the travel insurance company, not with NCL.

The cancellation policy has to be rigid or people will take advantage. Book a cruise at full price and hold the stateroom. Cancel a few weeks before sailing and get a full refund. Book the same stateroom at a hugely discounted price. Everyone would do it.

Yes you're right and I agree, I'm just frustrated that I can't see how I could have avoided being in this position. It is my own fault, I would have preferred they be a bit more flexible.

1 minute ago, Oakman58 said:

I would challenge the denial from your insurance company.  Normally the "look back" period for pre-existing conditions is 60 - 180 days from the plans effective date.

Thanks - great advice - I will look into that straight away!! 

• Like 1

This is a common situation, your issue is with your insurance company. If you have pre-existing conditions, you need to purchase insurance that covers that (more expensive). My mom’s insurance paid out with her cancer diagnosis, but it was not pre-existing.

OP , First of all good luck with the treatment. NCL personnel are on overload dealing with Hurricane Dorian right now.

Keep trying and have you asked or are willing to pay a change fee to another cruise. Maybe NCL will allow that. It's worth a chance.

Just now, mjkacmom said:

This is a common situation, your issue is with your insurance company. If you have pre-existing conditions, you need to purchase insurance that covers that (more expensive). My mom’s insurance paid out with her cancer diagnosis, but it was not pre-existing.

I couldn't find a company willing to cover our travel plans that would accept a pre-existing condition for cancer.  It is our own fault because we had to accept it and reasoned that "that's so unlikely" as he had just had a scan weeks before and was fine.  I did however buy the second policy that  was a medical policy - it accepted pre-existing medical conditions but would only cover him medically while overseas.

3 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

OP , First of all good luck with the treatment. NCL personnel are on overload dealing with Hurricane Dorian right now.

Keep trying and have you asked or are willing to pay a change fee to another cruise. Maybe NCL will allow that. It's worth a chance.

Great idea! Definitely worth a shot - thank you - will give that a go in my next squeaky wheel email 🙂

Just be very kind in your email - you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.  Rather than demanding they do something, make a good faith offer on your part to still take a trip but do it at a later time with some reasonable penalty.  They could still say no.

Did you pay with a credit card?  At least in the US some major credit cards offer this kind of protection, see if yours offers that.

Best wishes to your partner on a quick response to treatment.

Great idea! Definitely worth a shot - thank you - will give that a go in my next squeaky wheel email 🙂

Stop the emails and talk to someone. You may be on hold for a long time however your concerns will be heard "talking".  call and be persistent and ask for a supervisor if needed.

At the very least they might give you a number to contact.

Edited by beerman2
  • Like 1

Just now, hallux said:

Just be very kind in your email - you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.  Rather than demanding they do something, make a good faith offer on your part to still take a trip but do it at a later time with some reasonable penalty.  They could still say no.

Did you pay with a credit card?  At least in the US some major credit cards offer this kind of protection, see if yours offers that.

Best wishes to your partner on a quick response to treatment.

Thanks Hallux,  yes I have made sure I am factual and courteous.  I think you can lose credibility quickly if you demand and become emotional.  I paid the deposit on credit card and the remaining was bank transferred, however it was to my travel agent and not to NCL.

1 minute ago, beerman2 said:

Stop the emails and talk to someone. You may be on hold for a long time however your concerns will be heard "talking".  call and be persistent and ask for a supervisor if needed.

At the very least they might give you a number to contact.

I can give that another go, but here in Australia we only seem to have the call centre - and they are not keen to put me through to anyone else - but thank you - I will do some further research and see if I can find an Australian office and try them direct.  I had been using emails as I could document the events and it was in writing - but perhaps talking is a better option.

however it was to my travel agent and not to NCL

That shouldn't matter, it was a charge for the purposes of a trip. 

Here in the US, the travel agent is just a conduit to the cruise line.  Both times I've booked a cruise this year the travel agent just took my card info and passed it on directly to the cruise line, with the charge showing from the cruise line.  That's not the case for you? However, the bank transfer will be an issue since that doesn't have the protections of the credit card.

Edit to add - if you booked through a travel agent, the cruise line will typically not talk to you directly.  You need to go through your travel agent.  I'm not sure if this situation changes that...

Edited by hallux

21 minutes ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

First of all, my thoughts are with you and your partner, having gone through cancer two times my self I understand what you both must be going through.

However, you have to realistically look at the issues.  First, it is the insurance underwriting firm that is making the decision, not NCL.  And second their policy does spell out the issue concerning preexisting conditions.  I know that it appears inflexible and unreasonable, but the insurance policy is a binding contract.  If the insurance would allow some flexibility and approve your case they would open themselves up to countless lawsuits and additional claims.

Thanks Funky Fusion FoodsJ, I'm sorry to hear that you've had to go through that twice, I hope the treatment has worked out well for you. 

I do agree with you - I guess I am clutching at straws.  I was hoping they would make an exception more-so than change their policy - having spent 10 years in the airline industry with carriers that all had compassionate policies I naively expected NCL to have one too.

4 minutes ago, Suzzanne said:

Thanks Hallux,  yes I have made sure I am factual and courteous.  I think you can lose credibility quickly if you demand and become emotional.  I paid the deposit on credit card and the remaining was bank transferred, however it was to my travel agent and not to NCL.

And that pay be the problem. When you book through a TA most cruise lines won't deal with you directly. Your TA needs to step up and do the contacting . 

Put it the burden on TA to get you a resolution, including paying a change fee. That's what TA are suppose to do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hallux said:

That shouldn't matter, it was a charge for the purposes of a trip. 

Here in the US, the travel agent is just a conduit to the cruise line.  Both times I've booked a cruise this year the travel agent just took my card info and passed it on directly to the cruise line, with the charge showing from the cruise line.  That's not the case for you? However, the bank transfer will be an issue since that doesn't have the protections of the credit card.

In my case the money went to the agency, and the credit card payment was made to the agency, who then passed on the fare to NCL (less their commission).  

2 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

And that pay be the problem. When you book through a TA most cruise lines won't deal with you directly. Your TA needs to step up and do the contacting . 

Put it the burden on TA to get you a resolution, including paying a change fee. That's what TA are suppose to do.

Yes I think it might be part of the problem - however I have already driven them crazy over the last few weeks, I'm sure this is why I received 25% back - I think they might blacklist me before too long!  

For clarification:

You purchased two insurance policies, neither of which cover your current medical situation.

You were made aware of the cruiseline cancelllation policy which now, due to your medical situation, you find inequitable, inflexible and unreasonable.

Have you made similar appeals to your two insurance carriers to alter their policies and provide you with coverage despite full disclosure of exclusions for you r unfortunate current situation?  Which two insurance carriers, by name, are so uncaring as to not cover something excluded so that the public can decide to avoid them for such practice?

If you are going to call out the cruiseline for adhering to their policies, please name the insurance carriers who have done the same so they can be similarly shamed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oakman58 said:

I would challenge the denial from your insurance company.  Normally the "look back" period for pre-existing conditions is 60 - 180 days from the plans effective date.  Read your policy thoroughly.

This, exactly.

Different insurance policies will have different periods of stability required (from none to two years, from what I've seen).  If you fall within that, it's not the insurance for you.

But yeah, this is an insurance issue, not an NCL issue, unfortunately. =(

1 hour ago, Suzzanne said:

I couldn't find a company willing to cover our travel plans that would accept a pre-existing condition for cancer.  It is our own fault because we had to accept it and reasoned that "that's so unlikely" as he had just had a scan weeks before and was fine. 

NCL is a business. They have clear cut policies to ensure they are not subject to lawsuits for being arbitrary and discriminatory. Unfortunately to you right now this looks like a lack of compassion.

And the fact that you said that you couldn't find a company to cover your travel plans is an indication of the amount of risk you were accepting.  Insurance companies are also businesses and they balance risk and reward.  The only way they bring in money is premiums and deductibles, and they make a profit so long as they don't pay out more in claims than they bring in.  They looked at your case and determined that they were more likely to lose money if they covered you for pre-existing conditions. Again, it's understanding how these businesses operate.

You accepted the risk when you couldn't get insurance and opted to proceed rather than canceling the cruise.  And unfortunately, you lost on that decision.  We sympathize with your husband's diagnosis, and I'm sure anyone who works for NCL sympathizes as well, but there's no reason that they will treat you any differently than anyone else with similar heartbreaking stories because that's not the business model.