Cruise cancelled 9 weeks prior due to cancer diagnosis - No Refund

SWHLBLBY

1 hour ago, Suzzanne said:

Thanks so much for your reply - much appreciated!  We are Aussie citizens and booked our travel here - I'm not sure what USE is and if I can use it?  I can't get an email from NCL to confirm anything - they just don't respond.  It was our travel agent in Australia who refunded us.  I'll go have a look for USE!  Thank you!

I am not if this will be of help to you since you are not US based but I emailed the VP with an address I got.  Her name is Vivian Ewart and the email is vewart@ncl.com.  It helped another CC member as well.  

Hindsight is 20/20 and what we may not think of as a pre existing condition.  I hope all goes well with your partner's treatment. 

If I had a dollar for every thread started by a poster on Cruise Critic who is upset that their very special circumstances (death, illness, pregnancy, work requirements, military deployment, etc.) should be given a pass on (name the cruise line) cancellation policies or the terms of the insurance policy, I could pay for a cruise.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Suzzanne said:

Thanks so much for your reply - much appreciated!  We are Aussie citizens and booked our travel here - I'm not sure what USE is and if I can use it?  I can't get an email from NCL to confirm anything - they just don't respond.  It was our travel agent in Australia who refunded us.  I'll go have a look for USE!  Thank you!

Your travel agent didn't give you 25% back out of the goodness of their heart - at least based on US rules. NCL's cancellation policy that has varying levels of penalty. I'm in the US, so I'm not sure if the Australia schedule is the same as ours. 9 weeks out would be around the time it switches from a 50% penalty to a 75% penalty. Sounds like you canceled in the 75% penalty time frame, but I would double check that. 

Otherwise it comes down to the insurance you buying not covering this instance. 

I saw OP state that their partner had a scan and was clear BEFORE booking the cruise...so you now have some evidence that this is NOT pre-existing, plus what others said about a look back period is relevant.  Please carefully read your policy about the definition of a pre-existing condition to see if you might have a case, or if cancer is somehow excluded (e.g. if you have ever in your lifetime had a cancer diagnosis then it is always pre-existing?)

Here in the US, often if you buy the insurance within 10 days of booking then you get a waiver for pre-existing conditions, could that be helpful?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Your travel agent didn't give you 25% back out of the goodness of their heart

The NCL Aussie Cancellation Fee schedule indicates that the 25% refund you received was from NCL, NOT your travel agent.  It's unfortunate if they led you to believe this was a "gift" from them.

On a more important note - wishing good health to your partner!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Suzzanne said:

Certainly understand what you are going through, between the cancer diagnosis and now this. I do think the best and only option is to contact the insurance company. this isn't really an NCL problem. Years ago, when I was still a TA twice I had clients that had to cancel for just this reason. In both cases we went directly to the insurance company. In both cases, after proper documentation everything was settled. The 25% you got refunded was what you had coming back from NCL. My prayers go out to you and your partner. Keep us posted. 

7 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

Certainly understand what you are going through, between the cancer diagnosis and now this. I do think the best and only option is to contact the insurance company. this isn't really an NCL problem. Years ago, when I was still a TA twice I had clients that had to cancel for just this reason. In both cases we went directly to the insurance company. In both cases, after proper documentation everything was settled. The 25% you got refunded was what you had coming back from NCL. My prayers go out to you and your partner. Keep us posted. 

BTW I see you said the travel agency is the one who you gave the CC to and they paid the bill minus the commission. I guess things work differently in your country. Here the TA does take your CC but they only call the number into the cruise company and have nothing more to do. They get their commission paid from the cruise company long after final payment is made and not too far before sailing. Are you sure the TA actually paid the cruise line minus the commission? I have never heard of anything like that before Check and see what your CC statement said. Ours always have the name of the cruise line as receiving the payment not the TA? 

I am having a problem with the numbers, according to NCL Australia's website you should be receiving 50% of your cruise back, unless my math is wrong......9 weeks X 7 days per week is 63 days. If you were at v60mdays or less you would have received 25% which is what your TA gave you. That being the case it doesn't look like they did much for you.

image.png.55e16042abdb61a31055b023b9ad2541.png

6 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

This, exactly.

Different insurance policies will have different periods of stability required (from none to two years, from what I've seen).  If you fall within that, it's not the insurance for you.

But yeah, this is an insurance issue, not an NCL issue, unfortunately. =(

I had to cancel TA last year due to a reoccurrence of cancer. NCL insurance refunded 100% because I had not been treated 90 days previously even though it was a pre-existing condition. 8 years ago I used a different insurance co and they denied due to cancer issues. I appealed 4 times and finally did get all my money refunded. As others have stated, it is the insurance company you have to fight with. Last year I used NCL’s policy and it was handled within 2 weeks. I know ship’s insurance is not considered the best but in my case it was superior to an outside company.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shof515 said:

if you have insurance, why not put it to USE and file a claim with the insurance? The insurance will give you money back you that NCL is not giving you. Start the claim process now, make copies of various documents like the doctor note, confirmation from NCL that you cancel the cruise and showing what they are giving you.

This is common for all cruise lines. All cancellations within xyz weeks of cruise, you get NOTHING BACK regardless of whatever reason like your dog/cat ate your passports

they did file a claim-its been rejected

I always shake my head in disbelief when people say you should have travel insurance

policies vary so much country to country and so many cop out clauses

in the Uk it is pretty much compulsory to have insurance to cover medical outside UK NHS

however they have a nasty exclusion re pre existing conditions

you have t pay a hefty premium for pre existing and often cancer diagnosis is terminal and not covered

last year we had to cancel a cruise as my husband was called for surgery and travel insurance wouldn't cover as being on "waiting list" was excluded

we had paid final balance slightly ahead of final payment

our NCL PCC was brilliant getting us switched to another cruise later in year under same reservation number

however his superiors were quoting we needed to claim under insurance[hello already denied]

sometimes you realise how good your booking agent is   

7 hours ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

My MIL was dx with pancreatic cancer and lost 100% of the fare.  NCL expressed sympathy, but did not yield an inch on the cancellation policy,  She died shortly afterward.  We insure the hell out of all trips now ... land based and cruises.

I'm so sorry to hear that - thank you taking the time to share your experience - It's all helping to give me a much clearer picture. Suzzanne

3 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

Thank you - I will do 

1 hour ago, fabnfortysomething said:

I always shake my head in disbelief when people say you should have travel insurance

policies vary so much country to country and so many cop out clauses

in the Uk it is pretty much compulsory to have insurance to cover medical outside UK NHS

however they have a nasty exclusion re pre existing conditions

you have t pay a hefty premium for pre existing and often cancer diagnosis is terminal and not covered

last year we had to cancel a cruise as my husband was called for surgery and travel insurance wouldn't cover as being on "waiting list" was excluded

we had paid final balance slightly ahead of final payment

our NCL PCC was brilliant getting us switched to another cruise later in year under same reservation number

however his superiors were quoting we needed to claim under insurance[hello already denied]

sometimes you realise how good your booking agent is   

Yes I agree - our policies here seem more stringent than policies available in the US - I did take a medical policy and that covered pre-existing conditions, but that only covered him for medical expenses if he needed them.  Your NCL PCC sounds brilliant - glad that worked out to the benefit of everyone.

7 hours ago, Dar & Bob said:

I am not if this will be of help to you since you are not US based but I emailed the VP with an address I got.  Her name is Vivian Ewart and the email is vewart@ncl.com.  It helped another CC member as well.  

Hindsight is 20/20 and what we may not think of as a pre existing condition.  I hope all goes well with your partner's treatment. 

Thank you so much - that is really helpful - I will try that address - yeah, hindsight is a great thing isn't it!  🙂

6 hours ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

NCL is not much help in these situations. While you hear of Disney, RCCL, and others stepping up to help alleviate the financial burden in some way, you hardly ever hear of NCL doing that. I'm sorry you're going through this. 

Thanks CruisingSince1982 - appreciate your comments 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, erdoran said:

I saw OP state that their partner had a scan and was clear BEFORE booking the cruise...so you now have some evidence that this is NOT pre-existing, plus what others said about a look back period is relevant.  Please carefully read your policy about the definition of a pre-existing condition to see if you might have a case, or if cancer is somehow excluded (e.g. if you have ever in your lifetime had a cancer diagnosis then it is always pre-existing?)

Here in the US, often if you buy the insurance within 10 days of booking then you get a waiver for pre-existing conditions, could that be helpful?

I have never heard of that 10 day offer happening here but that's only because I haven't investigated, I will have a look and see what date I bought that and if it's possible. Thanks for that advice!

3 hours ago, phillyguy31 said:

I am having a problem with the numbers, according to NCL Australia's website you should be receiving 50% of your cruise back, unless my math is wrong......9 weeks X 7 days per week is 63 days. If you were at v60mdays or less you would have received 25% which is what your TA gave you. That being the case it doesn't look like they did much for you.

I'm guessing it wasn't 9 weeks exactly. If they canceled in the 9th week before the cruise it could have been 60 or less days. Definitely need to double check the number of days before that they canceled, but I believe NCL's refund is rather automatic so it probably was correct. Unless the TA took part of it (I'm not sure if a cancel effects their commissions on the cruise) though I think that'd be unscrupulous unless their penalty was spelled out. 

3 hours ago, phillyguy31 said:

I just counted the days up - 59 days - so it seems the 25% is still a good outcome.

11 hours ago, Suzzanne said:

Hello All,

I am writing this for info of others and to see if anyone has any advice. 

I was naive and thought I was doing everything right.  I booked early in the year, paid in full to my travel agent and then took out two insurance policies.  I really don't know what else we could have done.  Then 5 weeks ago, my partner received a cancer diagnosis. We discussed the cruise dates and his Doctor advised to start treatment and not travel.  His Doctor wrote a letter to support us and asked for assistance in changing the arrangements.  All parties from hotels, airlines, tours, and car rentals were incredibly helpful and offered refunds, credit vouchers or change of date.  All except NCL.  Our travel agent refunded 25% for which we are very grateful (a big thank you to Clean Cruising in Australia) but we are still $6,300 out of pocket. We would have happily changed to a different cruise date as it would've given us something positive to look forward to. NCL had 9 weeks' notice. The cruise leaves the UK on 27 September and there is still time to sell the room.   Unfortunately,  neither insurance policy covers us in this situation due to a pre-existing medical condition - having had cancer once before our claim was denied.  

I do understand the need for NCL to have a cancellation policy, however I believe it's inequitable, inflexible and unreasonable. NCL has not responded to any of our email requests.  I am hoping that a) in sharing this, others will not end up in our position - I'm aware that most people won't be in our shoes and if this had of been any other diagnosis we would have been covered - perhaps this will only help others in making an informed decision - the way a company deals with you when things go wrong tells you a lot about their corporate ethics -  and    b) I have not yet given up and will persist - if anyone has any advice or experience in how to pursue this successfully, please let me know! 

NCL were great when we booked and had questions - the call centre helped book tours and make dinner reservations onboard - I'm disappointed at how quiet and unresponsive they are now - hang on....  I think that's just me being naive again!

Suzzanne

image.png

My Mom and Dad canceled a cruise when she needed surgery for cancer, and she received a total refund from the insurance plan that she purchased.