Equinox headed to Freeport for relief efforts

Smmessineo

44 minutes ago, citruscruiser said:

I am on the Symphony and arriving at Freeport now. Carnival has arrived, so I believe EQ will be next

(maybe not Carnival, stack difficult to determine)

Maybe Grand Celebration ?  looks like old carnival ship?

image.png.1e3149bc9762ed8ddcb39300dd8d7cf5.png

The Grand Paradise (or whatever its called) is the only ship I understand to be given permission to dock. Besides unloading cargo, they are also assisting in evacuation (to Florida for those with proper papers). I believe the other ships will be staying out and tendering supplies in.

16 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

We went to the galley tour and was told that the ship usually has three weeks of supplies on it at one time. They replenish what they use and the ports they can. They have a main supplier and use them solely, except for emergencies. I didn’t see any unloading in Tortola and it would be a nightmare as you actually dock at one protruding out in the water.

Besides, after leaving Tortola, we were told we were going to Nassau. We didn’t know about the change until late morning today. 

I was told by a staff member that a large supply of water was brought on in Tortola. I think Celebrity was preparing for this relief effort all along and just couldn't tell us until it was finalized. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

The Grand Paradise (or whatever its called) is the only ship I understand to be given permission to dock. Besides unloading cargo, they are also assisting in evacuation (to Florida for those with proper papers). I believe the other ships will be staying out and tendering supplies in.

Yup. Watching marine traffic. It looks like Grand Celebration is docked. Being used to ferry residents and aid workers. Symphony of the Seas is currently anchored offshore and will be tendering in supplies. I was told we will anchor and drop off supplies after them. 

• Like 2

The way the cruise lines are rallying around to help has really touched me. To see them put people before profit ….. Well done to all concerned. Thoughts and prayers go to everyone affected by this terrible tragedy.  

• Like 3

Our balcony is in a perfect position to watch the loading. The finally finished loading the water. I would guess it would be well over 500 cases, maybe over 700. They are loading can goods now. I think we’ll be here longer than an hour. The first tug is just about full, with a second one waiting. An awesome sight. Symphony of the Seas still here but can’t see what’s going on there.

On the symphony, we unloaded earlier since we were here since about 7am. The tug boats helped a local boat come next to us to load supplies and put crew. Haven’t heard any announcements as to our departure. 

I see EQ tender going to port now. Maybe  We will depart together. Take good care of EQ, I board tomorrow!

55 minutes ago, Smmessineo said:

Anchored off Freeport. Starting to put tenders in water. Symphony still here right near us. Celebration ship in the harbor. 

i wish i could post pictures!

I wish you could post pictures. Maybe when you get home?

On 9/5/2019 at 4:54 PM, grandgeezer said:

We went to the galley tour and was told that the ship usually has three weeks of supplies on it at one time. They replenish what they use and the ports they can. They have a main supplier and use them solely, except for emergencies. I didn’t see any unloading in Tortola and it would be a nightmare as you actually dock at one protruding out in the water.

Besides, after leaving Tortola, we were told we were going to Nassau. We didn’t know about the change until late morning today. 

We took on a small truckload of water in Tortola.  They were waiting to load it on the ship when we got back from excursion.

We are back home after spending the week on the Equinox, again a wonderful cruise made even better with Celebrity's decision to cancel the Nassau stop and make the humanitarian stop at Freeport. My wife was one of the volunteers who helped make up some of the thousands of meals for some of the survivors of Dorian. We also contributed part of our refund to the relief fund. Celebrity was extremely generous with giving us a refund for 1 day of the cruise plus the Nassau port charges, we thought that the port charges would have been enough. We happened to walk past  passengers services at one point yesterday and there were some people complaining that Celebrity ruined their vacation by not stopping at Nassau, give me a break, simply unbelievable. My guess is they were trying to bargain for more OBC, either that or they need to broaden their travel horizons if missing Nassau is going to ruin their vacation.

One other note, about 2 hours before we reached Freeport a passenger had a medical emergency and was airlifted off the Equinox by helicopter and flown to Miami. The helicopter had a wind issue and asked Captain Demetrios to bring the Equinox to a full stop so he could land on fhe heliport. 

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

We are back home after spending the week on the Equinox, again a wonderful cruise made even better with Celebrity's decision to cancel the Nassau stop and make the humanitarian stop at Freeport. My wife was one of the volunteers who helped make up some of the thousands of meals for some of the survivors of Dorian. We also contributed part of our refund to the relief fund. Celebrity was extremely generous with giving us a refund for 1 day of the cruise plus the Nassau port charges, we thought that the port charges would have been enough. We happened to walk past  passengers services at one point yesterday and there were some people complaining that Celebrity ruined their vacation by not stopping at Nassau, give me a break, simply unbelievable. My guess is they were trying to bargain for more OBC, either that or they need to broaden their travel horizons if missing Nassau is going to ruin their vacation.

One other note, about 2 hours before we reached Freeport a passenger had a medical emergency and was airlifted off the Equinox by helicopter and flown to Miami. The helicopter had a wind issue and asked Captain Demetrios to bring the Equinox to a full stop so he could land on fhe heliport. 

Thanks for the update. Both you and your wife will always remember your unselfishness in aiding families who desperately needed the basics just to survive. As for those who complained this humanitarian aid ruined their vacation, I pity their unconscionable selfishness and stupidity. 

• Like 5