Pompeii from Naples port

kassiopi

We are due to call into Naples in January and want to visit Pompeii. I have looked at many private tours but they all seem to include Vesuvius or elsewhere on the Amalfi coast but Vesuvius in January doesn't really appeal. I was wondering if anyone had visited Naples and could tell me if there are likely to be taxis/private hire at the port offering a return trip to Pompeii where I presume we could hire a guide. Mike

1 hour ago, kassiopi said:

We are due to call into Naples in January and want to visit Pompeii. I have looked at many private tours but they all seem to include Vesuvius or elsewhere on the Amalfi coast but Vesuvius in January doesn't really appeal. I was wondering if anyone had visited Naples and could tell me if there are likely to be taxis/private hire at the port offering a return trip to Pompeii where I presume we could hire a guide. Mike

yes

there will be taxis at port touting for trips to Pompeii and Herculaneum

there is a fixed price on laminated sheet insde taxi

usually allows 2 hours on site and then will pick you up-pay on return to ship

private guides available at site entrance if you want to hire one

14 hours ago, fabnfortysomething said:

yes

there will be taxis at port touting for trips to Pompeii and Herculaneum

there is a fixed price on laminated sheet insde taxi

usually allows 2 hours on site and then will pick you up-pay on return to ship

private guides available at site entrance if you want to hire one

Thank you for this information. Have you any idea (approx) of the price of the taxi or the private guides.

The fixed fare for a round trip taxi from Naples to Pompei, with a two-hour stop at the ruins, is 100 euro.  A shared tour runs between 10 - 15 euro, depending on the size of the group.  In the off season you may have to wait a while for a group to form, which will eat into your two hours.

Another option, assuming it is running in the very off season, is the City Sightseeing shuttle bus to Pompei, which you can get from Molo Beverello, adjacent to the cruise port.

https://www.city-sightseeing.it/en/shuttle-bus-naples-pompeii/

Edited by euro cruiser

3 minutes ago, CrazyJess said:

Is beginning of October considered  to be off season in Naples?

Not really.  October isn't as busy as July and August but it's still plenty busy, because everyone who isn't forced to travel in the summer has discovered how much more pleasant the weather is at that time.

I simply take the train from Garibaldi (I walk there).  And get off at Pompeii Scavi.   Rick Steves downloaded app and Pompeii tour is superb.  I’ve been there several times and the app was superior to the guides I’ve had.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

i have taken the train as well.   by far the cheapest way.  it was about a 20 min walk from the ship to the train station.  Went to Pompeii got a guide at the gates for a tour.   took the train back stopped in Sorrento walked from the train station down through town and took the catamaran ferry back to Naples to the port which was close by the ship.    Did this with my kids who were 8 & 10 at the time.    they still have memories of it 6 years later.    Don't exactly remember the cost but I remember that the 3 of us did this and had lunch for less than the cost for 1 on the ship's excursion to pompeii

On 9/8/2019 at 9:48 AM, euro cruiser said:

The fixed fare for a round trip taxi from Naples to Pompei, with a two-hour stop at the ruins, is 100 euro.  A shared tour runs between 10 - 15 euro, depending on the size of the group.  In the off season you may have to wait a while for a group to form, which will eat into your two hours.

Just to clarify, the 10-15 euro charge is per person to join a shared tour of around 10 people.

On 9/21/2019 at 12:41 PM, Budget Queen said:

I simply take the train from Garibaldi (I walk there).  And get off at Pompeii Scavi.   Rick Steves downloaded app and Pompeii tour is superb.  I’ve been there several times and the app was superior to the guides I’ve had.  

We will be doing the same sailing B3B...meaning 3 stops in Naples...only two of us the first two weeks then with family members (11 of us total) and would love to DIY, train to Pompeii.

* We are kindly asking specific directions how to walk from the Naples cruise terminal to the train station.

* We read that there's a shuttle from the cruise terminal to the train station...do you know where this is? (We'll need that shuttle as two members of our family have difficulty walking.

* Lastly, we read that the ferry to Capri is next to the cruise terminal.  How often is the ferry? And can we simply walk around Capri when we get there?  Thank you.

There is no shuttle from the cruise port in Naples to either train station.  There is a public bus (#151) that you can get from a stop on the main street in front of the port (either the Acton-Beverello stop in front of Molo Beverello or the Colombo-Beverello stop just past the cruise port).

If you walk it's 2 km/1.2 miles to Porta Nolana, the Naples depot for the Circumvesuviana local rail line, which has a train to Pompei Scavi (a stop on the Naples-Sorrento line or the far more comfortable Campania Express train).  To walk you simply walk eastbound along the waterfront until Corso Garibaldi, where you turn left.  The train station will be on the right a couple of blocks after turning onto Corso Garibaldi.

Several different ferry companies run fast ferries from Molo Beverello, adjacent to the cruise port, to Capri.  There is no need to purchase tickets in advance, you can just buy them for the next departing ferry when you arrive.  It is a good idea, however, to either purchase your return ticket in the morning or to buy it as soon as you arrive on Capri to avoid a long line or getting shut out of the return ferry you need to make your sailing.

13 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

* We are kindly asking specific directions how to walk from the Naples cruise terminal to the train station.

* We read that there's a shuttle from the cruise terminal to the train station...do you know where this is? (We'll need that shuttle as two members of our family have difficulty walking.

There is no shuttle to the train station. You have 2 options to reach the train station:

1. take bus #151 from stop on main street (Cristoforo Colombo) in front of cruise terminal to Porta Nolana (this is the terminus for the Circumvesuviana). Photo below: bus stop (#151) is noted by red square. Note: if you choose this option rather than #2, you have a better chance of obtaining seats on the train.

2. take the metro (Municipio - a short distance from the cruise terminal, see photo below) to Garibaldi/Napoli Centrale. From this, the central train station, follow the signs to the basement where you can catch the commuter train (Circumvesuviana) to Pompeii. Note: trains arriving from Porta Nolana often have little to no seats available (they are already taken) so passengers must stand.

Naples.thumb.jpg.fb1031dce7557d45ca54626e6f267da9.jpg

I suggest that you check Google Maps to familiarize yourself with the cruise port area - you can easily see the bus stops and the route to Porta Nolana. Additionally, you can see the route to the metro stop. Easy peasy.

Edited by dogs4fun

15 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

There is a shuttle that goes from the port directly to Pompei, mentioned in post #4.  That may be worth the cost to make life easier with a group this size.

That said, I wonder whether Pompei is a good choice for those with difficulty walking.  There is nothing easy about walking around in the ruins.

19 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

DIY, train to Pompeii.

We'll need that shuttle as two members of our family have difficulty walking.

You might want to take a look at the sites below - when visiting Pompeii, there is a route that may be easier for your members that have difficulty walking. The second link shows photos wherein you will note the irregular paving stones - very difficult to walk on - especially if they are wet (this from someone with no mobility issues).

https://www.leisure-italy.com/news/news-pompeii/wheelchair-accessible-pompeii-path/

https://www.sagetraveling.com/wheelchair-access-at-pompeii-italy

6 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

There is no shuttle to the train station. You have 2 options to reach the train station:

1. take bus #151 from stop on main street (Cristoforo Colombo) in front of cruise terminal to Porta Nolana (this is the terminus for the Circumvesuviana). Photo below: bus stop (#151) is noted by red square. Note: if you choose this option rather than #2, you have a better chance of obtaining seats on the train.

2. take the metro (Municipio - a short distance from the cruise terminal, see photo below) to Garibaldi/Napoli Centrale. From this, the central train station, follow the signs to the basement where you can catch the commuter train (Circumvesuviana) to Pompeii. Note: trains arriving from Porta Nolana often have little to no seats available (they are already taken) so passengers must stand.

Naples.thumb.jpg.fb1031dce7557d45ca54626e6f267da9.jpg

I suggest that you check Google Maps to familiarize yourself with the cruise port area - you can easily see the bus stops and the route to Porta Nolana. Additionally, you can see the route to the metro stop. Easy peasy.

dogs4fun...thank you, option #1 is what we'll suggest to our family.

4 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

There is a shuttle that goes from the port directly to Pompei, mentioned in post #4.  That may be worth the cost to make life easier with a group this size.

That said, I wonder whether Pompei is a good choice for those with difficulty walking.  There is nothing easy about walking around in the ruins.

euro cruiser...we will consider this option as well.  Got me thinking about walking in Pompeii...our plan was to walk slowly and stop frequently (2 using canes)....and oh! a 7 yr. old boy who may not want to walk as much.

Thank you as always.

57 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

You might want to take a look at the sites below - when visiting Pompeii, there is a route that may be easier for your members that have difficulty walking. The second link shows photos wherein you will note the irregular paving stones - very difficult to walk on - especially if they are wet (this from someone with no mobility issues).

https://www.leisure-italy.com/news/news-pompeii/wheelchair-accessible-pompeii-path/

https://www.sagetraveling.com/wheelchair-access-at-pompeii-italy

dogs4fun..brilliant!...thanks again.  Bookmarked that link and read the article.  This is great information for those with disabilities.  (Sigh...just thinking and wishing it would've been nice to have this when my dad visited over 30 years ago...he had mobility issues...may he rest in peace.)  Thanks.

20 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

There is no shuttle from the cruise port in Naples to either train station.  There is a public bus (#151) that you can get from a stop on the main street in front of the port (either the Acton-Beverello stop in front of Molo Beverello or the Colombo-Beverello stop just past the cruise port).

If you walk it's 2 km/1.2 miles to Porta Nolana, the Naples depot for the Circumvesuviana local rail line, which has a train to Pompei Scavi (a stop on the Naples-Sorrento line or the far more comfortable Campania Express train).  To walk you simply walk eastbound along the waterfront until Corso Garibaldi, where you turn left.  The train station will be on the right a couple of blocks after turning onto Corso Garibaldi.

Several different ferry companies run fast ferries from Molo Beverello, adjacent to the cruise port, to Capri.  There is no need to purchase tickets in advance, you can just buy them for the next departing ferry when you arrive.  It is a good idea, however, to either purchase your return ticket in the morning or to buy it as soon as you arrive on Capri to avoid a long line or getting shut out of the return ferry you need to make your sailing.

* Apologies if this posted twice.

euro cruiser...thank you for the detailed walking route to Porta Nolana and info on the ferries to Capri.  We will follow it.  We are grateful...thanks again.

12 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

You can also take the Metro to the train station.  I always walk.   Simply have a downloaded map.  As noted you are mixing up ports.  There is no train shuttle in Naples.  

Budget Queen...thank you. 

Just an FYI. If you are in Naples on the 1st Sunday of the month, admission to both Pompeii and the National Archeological Museum are free. You still have to get a ticket at the admission booth, but there is no charge. Following Rick Steves instructions we caught the metro near the port to the train station at Garibaldi where we got on the train to Pompeii. Your ticket for the train BACK from Pompeii is good for a period of time on the Naples Metro. When we returned from Pompeii, we caught the metro for a short ride to the Archeological Museum. After the museum we followed Rick Steves audio tour of Naples on our walk back to the cruise terminal. All total, excluding food and shopping, our day in Naples/Pompeii cost us about $15 each.

Edited by the_scarecrow_in_oz

47 minutes ago, the_scarecrow_in_oz said:

Following Rick Steves instructions we caught the metro near the port to the train station at Garibaldi where we got on the train to Pompeii. Your ticket for the train BACK from Pompeii is good for a period of time on the Naples Metro.

The metro instructions are correct but should note that the Garibaldi station is the second stop on the line.  While it's difficult to get a seat on the Circumvesuviana train at the starting point, Porta Nolana, it's impossible at Garibaldi.  

If you want to get the train at Porta Nolana the metro isn't the best choice, the #151 bus (which you can get right in front of the cruise port) takes you right to the front door of the station.

Also, please note that your ticket back from Pompei is only good on the Naples metro if you purchase the Integrato ticket (3,50 euro).  If you get the Aziendale ticket (2,80 euro) it is only good for the train ride.  You need to specify which ticket you need at the ticket booth, although I suspect that if you don't specify they automatically sell you the higher priced one.

6 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

The metro instructions are correct but should note that the Garibaldi station is the second stop on the line.  While it's difficult to get a seat on the Circumvesuviana train at the starting point, Porta Nolana, it's impossible at Garibaldi.  

If you want to get the train at Porta Nolana the metro isn't the best choice, the #151 bus (which you can get right in front of the cruise port) takes you right to the front door of the station.

I will agree. Get on the Circumvesuviana train at Porta Nolana if you can That being said, though...….. on the first Sunday of November when we were there, we caught the Circumvesuviana train at Garibaldi and had no problem finding seating. We must have been lucky.