Live Blog Equinox Southern Carribean(ABC's) Sept 13th-23rd

calicakes

Hi Randi, Thank you so much for doing this live blog. My husband and I are celebrating our 30th Anniversary on the Equinox in October. We’ve been on 12 cruises and this is our first on X.  I am not looking forward to leaving my beloved mini goldendoodle. Our daughter will be babysitting her but....I will miss her beyond words.❤️

We look forward to hearing about your adventures!  We wish you both a fun and relaxing trip.

BTW, I read the “creature comforts” thread and was disappointed in some of the negative nellies out there. When I travel, I want as much home away from home. We don’t travel light either.  

Bon Voyage! 🎉🛳

5 minutes ago, AZcruisegirl said:

Hi Randi, Thank you so much for doing this live blog. My husband and I are celebrating our 30th Anniversary on the Equinox in October. We’ve been on 12 cruises and this is our first on X.  I am not looking forward to leaving my beloved mini goldendoodle. Our daughter will be babysitting her but....I will miss her beyond words.❤️

We look forward to hearing about your adventures!  We wish you both a fun and relaxing trip.

BTW, I read the “creature comforts” thread and was disappointed in some of the negative nellies out there. When I travel, I want as much home away from home. We don’t travel light either.  

Bon Voyage! 🎉🛳

I'm glad I have unlimited internet so I can check in on our babies.  My red standard poodle Toby is always mistaken for a doodle.   What cruise line did you take your 12 cruises with?  

15 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Ok, sounds like good deal.  It looks like the Sea Cow also goes out to Klein Bonaire and does drift snorkeling along the reef.  That area is great.  We took a ship's snorkeling tour and it was second rate.  It sounds like you have a better tour.

Enjoy your cruise and thanks for doing the review.

Sea Cow is a great snorkel trip. They break the group up into 2 (at least they did when I went) so it's not crowded when snorkeling. That's always a fear when doing a ship excursion that it will be very crowded but they do a good job.

9 minutes ago, snyniew said:

Sea Cow is a great snorkel trip. They break the group up into 2 (at least they did when I went) so it's not crowded when snorkeling. That's always a fear when doing a ship excursion that it will be very crowded but they do a good job.

For me the secret is to book something that does the drift snorkel at Klein Bonaire, my ship's excursion didn't go there.  It was advertised as going to some sort of protected national area but then I found out that included most of the island.  From a safety perspective I think they need to keep the drift snorkeling groups small so the guide can keep track of the entire group.  I'm sure the OP will have a great time on the Sea Cow.

We had our first cruise with X on Equinox in June and really enjoyed it.  I took the hot glass class and made a Christmas ornament--it was fun to come home with a souvenir I helped create.

We are doing St Kitts and the ABCs on Summit in November, so I'm following along to hear your port experiences.  We have booked snorkeling with Woodwind in Bonaire, but nothing else so far, and looking for ideas  🙂   I am still considering a scuba dive somewhere if I get myself into a refresher class before then, but I'm also feeling lazy, so that might not happen.

Thanks for all the tips on snorkeling in Bonaire.  We're so excited!!

We had an uneventful flight.  We had a window and aisle and there was no one in the middle.  I had half a CBD chew( light salt water taffy) and I slept for 4 hours!!  When I woke up, and Julie told me we land in 45 minutes, I was stunned.  It didn't feel like I slept for close to 4 hours. 

We retrieved our luggage in record time, picked up the rental car and drove to Hollywood.  We were at the airbnb and in bed by 6:30am.  

Its 11am now and I'd love to sleep a few more hours, I know we have to get up or we won't be able to sleep tonight.  We're also really thirsty and hungry.   We love NY style pizza( I'm originally from NY), so that is on the agenda.  

46 minutes ago, calicakes said:

We had an uneventful flight.  We had a window and aisle and there was no one in the middle.  I had half a CBD chew( light salt water taffy) and I slept for 4 hours!!  When I woke up, and Julie told me we land in 45 minutes, I was stunned.  It didn't feel like I slept for close to 4 hours. 

We retrieved our luggage in record time, picked up the rental car and drove to Hollywood.  We were at the airbnb and in bed by 6:30am.  

Its 11am now and I'd love to sleep a few more hours, I know we have to get up or we won't be able to sleep tonight.  We're also really thirsty and hungry.   We love NY style pizza( I'm originally from NY), so that is on the agenda.  

Hi Randi,

My geography is poor on several levels...not sure where Hollywood is in relation to Ft. Lauderdale or how easy it is to get there.  Our first stop every time we cruise out of FLL is Primante Brothers...right on A1A directly across from the beach and just a little south of Sunrise.  They originated in Philadelphia so not sure if that's something you're familiar with.  The pizza is delicious (remember you're talking to a girl from Chicago who loves her deep dish pizza.....)...it's a huge slice of thin crust pizza for about $3.  We also usually stop there on embarkation day to have breakfast before we head to the port.  

Enjoy!

Susan

Edited by lola2013
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, calicakes said:

2 of these giant slices and a soda for 5.45.

20190912_123332.jpg

Wow...now I'm hungry and have to wait 78 more days to get to Primante Brothers.  I go for the sausage pizza!  P.S.  For $12 you can get the souvenir t-shirt 😋

Edited by lola2013

2 hours ago, calicakes said:

Randi, do you know if passengers are allowed to bring CBD products onto the ship?

3 hours ago, lola2013 said:

Hi Randi,

My geography is poor on several levels...not sure where Hollywood is in relation to Ft. Lauderdale or how easy it is to get there.  Our first stop every time we cruise out of FLL is Primante Brothers...right on A1A directly across from the beach and just a little south of Sunrise.  They originated in Philadelphia so not sure if that's something you're familiar with.  The pizza is delicious (remember you're talking to a girl from Chicago who loves her deep dish pizza.....)...it's a huge slice of thin crust pizza for about $3.  We also usually stop there on embarkation day to have breakfast before we head to the port.  

Enjoy!

Susan

As a PA native, just have to jump and say that Primanti Brothers started in Pittsburgh... the only city where you'll get fries on your sandwiches and salads  🙂  

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, hiccups said:

As a PA native, just have to jump and say that Primanti Brothers started in Pittsburgh... the only city where you'll get fries on your sandwiches and salads  🙂  

I think we might have a primanti brothers in LA. I'm going to check.

Hollywood is about 6 miles from the airport. 

Julie is originally from Wisconsin. She loves frozen Custard. We had to stop at our favorite place. We shared this small. $4.25. Chocolate crater sundae.

20190912_152701.jpg

20190912_152712.jpg

I feel like I'm much too old to take a red eye.  I can barely keep my eyes open and its only 6pm.  I'm sure I'll be sleeping in an hour and then up probably at the crack of dawn.  It doesn't help that I didn't have my usual iced coffee today.  I didn't want to drink one this afternoon, for fear I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight. 

Great night sleep. Went to our favorite Jewish deli/bagel shop for a quick breakfast. Scooped out everything bagel and vegetable cream cheese. We're off to return rental car and shuttle to the port. See you onboard.

20190913_083911.jpg

20190913_084553.jpg

I know the footstool issue has been discussed ad nauseum.  However, when I asked for one, I was given a grey shower stool. LOL. 

Oh and the previous guest left two open bottles of water in the fridge.  I guess they don't check the fridge between sailings.  There are also 2 KIND bars in the fridge.  I'm assuming they are from the previous guest, unless X provides them.