Live Blog Equinox Southern Carribean(ABC's) Sept 13th-23rd

calicakes

Let's talk about food for a sec....

@DebInAntigua I agree.  I feel bad because when I didn't finish it, the server and his assistant both asked me if I liked it.  I said that it was ok, but I was full.  

Speaking of getting full.  I don't take cruises so I can stuff my face and eat as much as I want.  I had weight loss surgery( in 2013) and have lost and kept off 100lbs.  I get full pretty quickly.  I really don't like wasting food, which is why I wish they wouldn't bring me extra entrees.  The server asked if he could bring me the ribeye and the pasta I ordered as a side dish.  I declined, because I don't eat beef.  I eat fish and chicken and pork, just no red meat.   I do understand they want the passengers to feel like they are getting their monies worth. 

I remember our first cruise in 2013, before having WLS, I was really impressed by the food in Blu.  Over the years, I've changed my eating habits.  Since I eat smaller portions, I chose to eat organic fruit/veg/chicken/eggs.  I buy wild Alaskan smoked salmon at home.  Organic eggs, wild caught gulf shrimp.   The food doesn't impress me that much anymore.  I usually go home having lost weight since I'm a bit picky with the items I chose.  Because I get so full, so fast, I'm not going to eat something if it sucks.  

We received a 30% off coupon for any specialty restaurant tomorrow.  Before WLS, we ate in Murano and I loved it.  I'm debating on if I should do that tomorrow.  I probably couldn't even finish 1/4 of the lobster dish I loved before.  

Julie doesn't eat huge portions either.  On our Alaska cruise in 2015, she ate steak every single night( except the last night when she was seasick).  We came home from the cruise and the next day, she was in the ER.  She ended up having her gallbladder out.  Since that day, she has reduced her red meat consumption to very little.  She ate maybe 3 bites of the steak tonight.  She said it was tender and tasted good.  

I have a habit of only eating half of my entree every night, simply because I sleep better when I am not uncomfortably full. I make a point of telling the servers that and it usually takes a couple or three nights before they get it and stop worrying that I am dissing the food. 

I do finish my dessert though, every bite. 

7 hours ago, helen haywood said:

I've never seen a magnifying mirror on Equinox in regular balcony, Concierge or Aqua.

I was on the Millie Trans pacific (in an accessible cabin)in April and had a lighted magnifying mirror on the desk. I stayed on for the next sailing (had to move cabins)but no mirror. I asked the room steward for one, he looked puzzled but said let me check it out. Came back about 1/2 hr later and told me they were only for the handicapped cabins and said he was sorry.

Norma

On 9/15/2019 at 12:24 PM, Spiritedcharm said:

@calicakes We are on the Equinox next week and hope to bring our Apple TV along to stream movies. Would you mind checking the brand and model number for the TV? We want to bring our universal remote along and it would be a great help to program it before we leave! Enjoy your cruise!

Hi. To get the tv to work you need to get the Hdmi sockets unlocked so that the source button works and shows you all the available inputs. You can then plug in the HMDI cable.  

Aruba is beautiful. We rented a car from Jay's. 44.00 for a compact. We had a Chevy aveo. We went to Arashi beach and Eagle beach. Arashi beach had a snack bar and I ordered this empanada type snack. It had a curried chicken filling. It was $2.00. It was tasty.

20190917_123058.jpg

20190917_123103.jpg

• Like 1

The internet is being testy for uploads.  We're still in port until 11ish tonight. I'll post all the pics tomorrow. 

I thought we would be out and about in Aruba until at least 8pm, but the heat and sun did a number on us.  After Arashi beach, we went to Eagle beach.  We stopped at a supermarket( SuperFoods).  I love going to different supermarkets in other countries.  We walked around and bought a few items.  A pastry, a yogurt, a candy bar and a box of crepe mix.  At least I think its a box of crepe mix.  The box is in Dutch.  I'm going to have to attempt a google translate.  I wish I had wifi in the store, because I would have looked a few things up.   We spent $7.40US on the purchases.  

We put 5 bucks worth of gas in the car and brought it back.  We were back on the ship around 2:30.  We dropped our stuff off at the room, went to the pool for a frozen drink.  I guess they are so used to making everything with alcohol thats what they did.  I knew as soon as the drink was handed to me by Julie that it wasnt a virgin drink.  I brought it back, they remade them.  We read our books in the shade.  The pool was pretty empty.  We came back to the room, took showers and went to Blu at 5:30. 

I had corn fritters and the halibut for dinner.  The halibut is probably my favorite entree.  Sadly, it was slightly overcooked.  Julie had a white bean soup( she didn't like it) and the chicken breast.  She said the classic chicken breast was better.  We ordered the tarte tatin for dessert.  Another fail.  The caramel was much too bitter.  Its not a classic tarte tatin in that they cook the apples separately and then place them on a disk of puff pastry.  We picked up 2 desserts from Cafe Al Bacio.  A choc. fudge cheesecake.  I think it was mislabeled because it had no choc, fudge.  We also picked up the cake of the day.  A praline cake.  The cheesecake was much better than the cake.  The cake had a very weird spongy texture. 

When I checked my email, there was an email from Celebrity one touch.  I emailed about the shower stool foot stool situation and sent a picture of it.  Here is the email.   We'll see if anything is rectified before the end of the cruise.  Tomorrow we have a snorkel trip planned.  Its not a ship excursion. 

Dear Randi:

Thank you for contacting Celebrity Cruises shoreside offices in regards to your current sailing.

I apologize that when you asked for a foot stool they provided to you a shower stool. I greatly apologize and assure you this was likely a misunderstanding. I have provided your email to ship board staff so that they will be able to better assist you.

Randi, again, I greatly apologize that they provided this to you. I assure you we will work diligently to provide  more adequate foot stool.

Sincerely,

Tami Morgan
Celebrity Cruises

21 hours ago, chuckroast1 said:

I have a habit of only eating half of my entree every night, simply because I sleep better when I am not uncomfortably full. I make a point of telling the servers that and it usually takes a couple or three nights before they get it and stop worrying that I am dissing the food. 

I do finish my dessert though, every bite. 

We don't eat too many desserts.. they are not that great on X anyhow.  I usually ask for double veggies and no carbs,  and sometimes order  a salad as my main course.   We are taking a break from BLU so hopefully we can still customize a bit.

1 minute ago, hcat said:

We don't eat too many desserts.. they are not that great on X anyhow.  I usually ask for double veggies and no carbs,  and sometimes order  a salad as my main course.   We are taking a break from BLU so hopefully we can still customize a bit.

Yes, you are so right!!  The best dessert I had so far was the choc. lava cake in Blu.  The tarte tatin tonight was awful.  The caramel was so bitter.  The slice of cake I took from the Cafe was horrible too.   

1 hour ago, calicakes said:

Aruba is beautiful. We rented a car from Jay's. 44.00 for a compact. We had a Chevy aveo. We went to Arashi beach and Eagle beach. Arashi beach had a snack bar and I ordered this empanada type snack. It had a curried chicken filling. It was $2.00. It was tasty.

20190917_123058.jpg

20190917_123103.jpg

Two of our fav  Aruba beaches...great photos. Looks like a perfect day

I am sooooo enjoying your live review !! My husband and I sail in December in an AQ cabin also.  We have one on the hump and are hoping for an actual lounger (fingers crossed).  These "bathroom footstools" are crazy !  I can't believe the actual footstools were all removed.  NO ONE is happy about it.  Anywhoooo ~ I've enjoyed your meal reviews with pics.  We have booked the Tuscan Grille and Murano for a couple nights.  Looking forward to that.  This will be our 15th cruise but first with Celebrity.  Thank you so much for your insight.  Looking forward to your next installment ~ Cindy