Live Blog Equinox Southern Carribean(ABC's) Sept 13th-23rd

calicakes

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

CASH is King

We did pay cash for what we purchased, but we had a credit card in our tote bag.  When I go down to guest services later to settle the account, I'm going to pay with our credit card.  If it doesn't go through, I'll let you know. 

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm another of those that are not fond of Laberdee.   Last time we were there we stayed on the ship.   It turned out that it was a wise decision because on that day the temperatures were above 100F and the passengers and crew came back complaining of the heat and lack of shade.

I've really enjoyed your posts.

Thank you.  Looking forward to reading some of your reviews. 

19 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Thank you so much for saying this.  I am opinionated and I'm ok with it.  I was telling Julie last night that I really do think a lot of people have been having issues with some of the food in Blu, but they keep it to themselves.  The table to the left of me also ordered the crispy boursin and when the wife saw it, she said " What is that".  Its not what we were expecting.  There was probably 1/4 tsp of boursin in the little triangles.   Funnily enough, the lunch buffet today featured a HUGE boursin display, along with Camembert and other fancier cheeses.   They also had a chocolate fountain, a station with peel and eat shrimp and a roast turkey.  I did hear someone say " why everything at once, why couldn't they spread it out".  

The turkey stuffing looked like slices of meatloaf.  I wasn't the only person who said that outloud. LOL.  

Our last cruise on X was in 2015.  We enjoy AQ for the Persian Garden, priority boarding( although that is now over with) and the other amenities they used to offer.   I don't think I should be criticized because I've been critiquing the food.   There have been some winners and some losers.  This morning, Julie's french toast was perfectly cooked.  The ship has run out of strawberries as well.    

I also appreciate your honest opinions - good and bad.

We sail in Aqua and it's mostly for the smaller dining room.

I know some people like the "grandeur" of the two story light filled MDR but we find it WAY too loud and echoey.

We've tried lunch in there and ,even then, with less people, it's just too much for us to enjoy our meals.

I don't know if the food is really any better in Blu but we've made peace with paying extra for the relative quiet.

As far as that display in the buffet - that's what's left of the Grand Extravaganza Brunch Celebrity used to have the last day.

I think the thought is that they'll leave you with the memory of that huge display.

And they ALWAYS run out of berries at the end of cruises. (Last year we did B2B2B - alternating 9 and 11 day cruises and they ran out the same on the 9 day as they did on the 11.  😅)

22 minutes ago, chamima said:

And they ALWAYS run out of berries at the end of cruises. (Last year we did B2B2B - alternating 9 and 11 day cruises and they ran out the same on the 9 day as they did on the 11.  😅)

We have seen the same thing on B2B cruises, they always run out of blueberries a couple of days early.   It's obviously cost cutting, they know they didn't order enough supplies but they don't seem to care.

1 hour ago, chamima said:

We sail in Aqua and it's mostly for the smaller dining room.

Oh, I forgot.  Thats another thing we like and that the dinner isn't a 2 hour affair. 

We're not huge "dress up" people.  In fact, Julie didn't bring any pants on this trip.  When we arrived to Blu on the first night, I read the dress code sign.  In the past, you were allowed to wear shorts.  Julie wears dressy shorts to dinner, she wouldn't be caught dead in a dress.  Anyway, other people also wore shorts on the first night and they didn't say anything.  We looked for a pair of pants in Grand Cayman, but couldnt find anything.  They never said anything to Julie about her shorts any other night. 

Edited by calicakes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chamima said:

I don't know if the food is really any better in Blu but we've made peace with paying extra for the relative quiet.

As far as that display in the buffet - that's what's left of the Grand Extravaganza Brunch Celebrity used to have the last day.

I did once attend a brunch in the main dining room.  Was that the Grand Extravaganza brunch?  I believe it might have been our first cruise in 2013. 

I wonder is the food really better in Blu?  I know its supposed to be a lighter, healthier cuisine.  Someone was telling us about the beef wellington in the MDR.  They were raving about it. 

3 minutes ago, calicakes said:

I did once attend a brunch in the main dining room.  Was that the Grand Extravaganza brunch?  I believe it might have been our first cruise in 2013. 

I wonder is the food really better in Blu?  I know its supposed to be a lighter, healthier cuisine.  Someone was telling us about the beef wellington in the MDR.  They were raving about it. 

The big fancy brunch was always the last day of the cruise (same as that display you saw in the buffet).

So if that's the day you went then that was it.

There were tables all over the dining room with fabulous displays of food.

I usually went just to look. By the end of a cruise i am pretty much sick of eating.

As far as the food being better - my husband is a vegan and I'm a pescatarian (I eat fish and dairy but not shellfish and no meat) so we are not the people to judge.

I just like having the same waiter who knows what I do and don't eat so when some weird ingredient is in the food but not on the menu he' or she will steer me clear of it.

4 minutes ago, chamima said:

The big fancy brunch was always the last day of the cruise (same as that display you saw in the buffet).

So if that's the day you went then that was it.

There were tables all over the dining room with fabulous displays of food.

I usually went just to look. By the end of a cruise i am pretty much sick of eating.

As far as the food being better - my husband is a vegan and I'm a pescatarian (I eat fish and dairy but not shellfish and no meat) so we are not the people to judge.

I just like having the same waiter who knows what I do and don't eat so when some weird ingredient is in the food but not on the menu he' or she will steer me clear of it.

Yes, thats what it was.  I wondered what happened to that. 

How did your husband find the vegan food?   I don't eat red meat, certain fish( no salmon or tuna), certain shelfish( no mussels or oysters) and no dark chicken.  At home, I mostly eat vegetarian out in public since I prefer organic chicken.   With all that being said, food used to be a lot more important to me.  I must admit, I can't wait to get home and cook.  I also can't wait to bake a cake for our anniversary next week.  I haven't even tried any desserts @ the buffet because I know I'll be disappointed.  My treat has been some of the vanilla soft serve with coke zero. ( brown cow). 

2 hours ago, calicakes said:

We did pay cash for what we purchased, but we had a credit card in our tote bag.  When I go down to guest services later to settle the account, I'm going to pay with our credit card.  If it doesn't go through, I'll let you know. 

If it doesn't go through, they will stop you at the gangway before you leave the ship.

10 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Yes, thats what it was.  I wondered what happened to that. 

How did your husband find the vegan food?   I don't eat red meat, certain fish( no salmon or tuna), certain shelfish( no mussels or oysters) and no dark chicken.  At home, I mostly eat vegetarian out in public since I prefer organic chicken.   With all that being said, food used to be a lot more important to me.  I must admit, I can't wait to get home and cook.  I also can't wait to bake a cake for our anniversary next week.  I haven't even tried any desserts @ the buffet because I know I'll be disappointed.  My treat has been some of the vanilla soft serve with coke zero. ( brown cow). 

The food always depended on who was in the kitchen.  He likes spicy international dishes.

Also, we got spoiled because we've had the same waiter for the last 4 or 5 years and he has been able to find someone in the kitchen to make that spicy food. (However, I think I wrote one too many glowing recommendations of the waiter because now he's in Luminae and we can't afford a suite 😫)

Picture is of Silhouette Blu staff last year - Vinod is front and center.

image.png

10 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Its not the same Vinod.  : ) That must be a popular name.  Its funny though, he said he remembered you.  LOL. 

I could also be wrong about who that is in the picture.

EDIT: I just asked my husband. It's not Vinod. Sorry

Edited by chamima

22 hours ago, calicakes said:

The bagels @ Sage in Hallandale Beach are amazing.  I'd put them right up there with NY bagels.  

Anyway, the enclosed air conditioned store was not air conditioned today. The sales people were more interested in their phones than actually helping me today.  No biggie. 

Sorry to hear that about that  Labadee store.... the rest of the vendor cubicles  were like running the gauntlet. Very agressive  proprietors and almost insistent  that we had an obligation to buy their stuff,,.,We left there in a hurry. Enjoyed Labadee a few times, but no urge to return, and after your report , make that NEVER!

Folks also need to watch their stuff while in the water etc.  One time a local  band took a few  cell phones,  they were caught and the phones returned. Nice!

Have not tried bagels in Hallendale but the east coast has a better shot than up in Venice, w coast.    Sadly, even our fav " kosher" delis on the east coast are  becoming extinct..our relatives there are  around 90 and don't go out as much as they used to.

Edited by hcat

We have really been enjoying reading your wonderful blog.   It really helps us survive until our next cruise.   You really made us feel like we were along with you on your adventure.    Safe travel home.

About 6 months ago we traveled in AquaClass for the first time.  Prior to that we had only traveled in Suites.   We were a little apprehensive at first but I have to say we were very impressed with both the food and service in Blu.   In many ways we like the food better.  Luminae's menu is very limited and on a B2B it can get really boring really quickly. 

One thing we learned is they have the Main Dining Room menu in addition to the Blu menu and all you have to do is ask for it.   The Main Dining room menu is White while the Blu is of course Blue.   This really helps in both Blu and Luminae especially if you are on the ship for 30 days at a time    We are not really into huge meals and found that they have a Mini Filet (4 ounces) on the Blu children's menu which is available every night.   One night our waiter recommended he have the chef prepare us a Steak Dianne using the small filet.   It was wonderful. 

OP will find that the more premium lines do not serve larger portions but do serve better foods is most passengers opinions.   They are also quite willing to cook anything off menu if you don’t enjoy what is on the menu.   You would probably enjoy Seabourn.   Azamara is also quite good though not to the level of a luxury line.

Too bad about Haiti.   We visited Labadee once but the hungry people begging for food through the chain link fence was too upsetting.    We also did not bargain with the inhabitants on purchases.   Those folks are really suffering and will do almost anything to get food or money.   It is a sad situation.

23 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We are not really into huge meals and found that they have a Mini Filet (4 ounces) on the Blu children's menu which is available every night.  

Is that in Blu or in Luminae?  Tonight Blu served Filet and we were told they were the only restaurant aside from specialties serving filet.   Julie had that and she said it was very good.  She ordered hers medium well and thats how it was served.  We noticed many, many tables sending back their filets.  It was cooked very rare instead of how it was ordered( medium rare).  I was under the impression that they would start over with another steak, however folks were given their same steak. 

I had the red snapper and I didn't enjoy it.  I didn't want the white bean cassoulet that was served with it.  I asked for a baked potato and veggies.  I guess its my fault because the snapper was plain.  No seasoning or sauce.   

The sticky toffee pudding was tasty as well.  It wasn't really a sticky toffee pudding.  It had a more cake like texture.  Probably the best cake I had on this voyage.  Pics will follow tomorrow. 

Thank you so much for the review!  I have really enjoyed it and we board in 2 weeks.

We also found the luminae menu too limited for our taste and decided to return to Blu, as Jim said earlier, we are a bit apprehensive about it.  I really liked his suggestion about ordering the 4 Oz filet from the children’s menu!

Thank you again and have a safe trip home!  Thx for taking your time to do a live blog!

9 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

Thank you so much for the review!  I have really enjoyed it and we board in 2 weeks.

We also found the luminae menu too limited for our taste and decided to return to Blu, as Jim said earlier, we are a bit apprehensive about it.  I really liked his suggestion about ordering the 4 Oz filet from the children’s menu!

Thank you again and have a safe trip home!  Thx for taking your time to do a live blog!

Thank you.  I would double check and make sure you can get a filet in Blu.  I really think its just from the kids menu in Luminae.    ( I saw someone on another thread mention that)

21 minutes ago, calicakes said:

Thank you.  I would double check and make sure you can get a filet in Blu.  I really think its just from the kids menu in Luminae.    ( I saw someone on another thread mention that)

Most ships have a filet on the kids menu in the MDR.