Advice for summer 2020 out of Bayonne

Oceansaway17

11 minutes ago, fred30 said:

I would doubt there will be very many cars left at the pier for a TA cruise.   It would be too much of an inconvenience for anyone to get there cars when they return.   Both with logistics and it's expensive.  The lot is only open when ships are in port.

The problem is the lack of accessibility (public transportation) to the port.

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Are you sure RCI gas vetted this port for when the very first time the 4th ship starts and at that point becomes an issue since others have not returned yet.

I'm sure Royal Caribbean has enough information and experience with Cape Liberty to know whether it can accommodate 4 ships. 

50 minutes ago, fred30 said:

I would doubt there will be very many cars left at the pier for a TA cruise.   It would be too much of an inconvenience for anyone to get their cars when they return.   Both with logistics and it's expensive.  The lot is only open when ships are in port.

I cannot comment on the outdoor overflow lot, but the parking garage can be accessed even when ships are not in port. We did this last year after a one-way cruise from Cape Liberty to Quebec. 

2 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Then again the lot with shuttles for 13.99 a day could be popular too so that could help

You might first want to search the East Coast board for comments on the off site parking lot on New Hook Rd in Bayonne. It has operated under different names. Since you are familiar with google maps, you can see for yourself that their "lot" is contained within the property of Delta Self Storage. The red pin on google maps is not the specific lot used but using that location as 9(as on a clock) go directly across to 3 and you will see an unpaved lot with many trailers. Adjacent to that location IS the lot used for cruisers cars and you can clearly se there is NO security fence surrounding that cruiser lot, despite the claims that the cruiser lot is secured. During business hours of Delta Self Storage, the cruiser lot is available to be accessed by anyone. When I asked them about this, they hung up on me. Not recommended as an option.

8 hours ago, meadowlander said:

You might first want to search the East Coast board for comments on the off site parking lot on New Hook Rd in Bayonne. It has operated under different names. Since you are familiar with google maps, you can see for yourself that their "lot" is contained within the property of Delta Self Storage. The red pin on google maps is not the specific lot used but using that location as 9(as on a clock) go directly across to 3 and you will see an unpaved lot with many trailers. Adjacent to that location IS the lot used for cruisers cars and you can clearly se there is NO security fence surrounding that cruiser lot, despite the claims that the cruiser lot is secured. During business hours of Delta Self Storage, the cruiser lot is available to be accessed by anyone. When I asked them about this, they hung up on me. Not recommended as an option.

Oh thanks very much. I dont like the sound of that. My baby car is fussy and wants to be fenced in.

I suppose I will in the end change my trip.

Been to NE and Canada before. I was only interested in trying tiny Empress without flying.

Would do Oasis I suppose but itinerary is lousy.

18 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Oh thanks very much. I dont like the sound of that. My baby car is fussy and wants to be fenced in.

You will be relieved to know that there are questions regarding their "shuttle" vehicles having NJDOT numbers/identification.

16 hours ago, meadowlander said:

You will be relieved to know that there are questions regarding their "shuttle" vehicles having NJDOT numbers/identification.

Can you explain further what you mean.

I just wish they would build a 2nd garage or expand official port overflow.

Not sure if another company offering a lower price and using shuttles sounds right either. And if not fenced in, then no go for me

On 9/17/2019 at 11:31 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

I suppose I will in the end change my trip.

Of course you have to make a decision that you are comfortable with, but I really think you are overthinking this.  The parking lots (in addition to the garage) are huge and secure at the port.  Both RCI's website and Cape Liberty's website say "parking is guaranteed."

I understand your concern with adding the Oasis to the mix, and while a "guarantee" doesn't really matter if they don't actually have a spot for you when you get there, I would bet the farm that you will have a spot at the cruise port if you show up on departure date in your car.

Edited by Don'tNeedAName

4 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Can you explain further what you mean.

I just wish they would build a 2nd garage or expand official port overflow.

Not sure if another company offering a lower price and using shuttles sounds right either. And if not fenced in, then no go for me

I am referring to the off site lot on New Hook Road the one that claims they have a secured lot, which is only secured when the self storage facility is locked at night and is not secure during business hours of the storage facility.

None of the vehicles used by the off site lot to transport to/from Cape Liberty had NJDOT numbers on them to be used commercially. Every other shuttle I saw did. Those shuttles need to have insurance as well. You can find more on the East Coast boards. 

They will issue you a discount coupon for a future visit if you do leave a positive review online.😁