Advice for summer 2020 out of Bayonne

Oceansaway17

2 hours ago, hallux said:

That's not a problem. As noted above - the passengers disembarking from the cruise prior to yours will open spots as they leave, and considering it's the same ship it should be enough for the incoming passengers.  There's one thing we learned earlier this year (when Anthem was delayed arriving) - that terminal can only handle one turn-around at a time so it's not like there are 8,000 people looking for parking spots at once.

My concern is what about those 3000 people onboard the Celebrity Summit who leave for a 14-day transatlantic? Since those spots will not be freed up sequentially, will there be enough parking for those passengers on Oasis that returns that following Sunday (8/9/20)?

and...?  Basically, each ship ends up with a section of parking lot.  As that ship returns and her passengers disembark, those spaces empty and are available for the incoming vehicles for the passengers embarking on her next cruise.  What itineraries other ships are sailing doesn't really matter once each ship's "area" of parking lot is sorted.

Just picking names and areas to give an example.

Anthem has been sailing from Bayonne, her passengers end up with parking garage "priority" as space there is occupied by her passengers, let's say she has decks 1 and 2 of the garage

Oasis comes in, decks 1 and 2 are filled with vehicles from Anthem passengers so her passengers get decks 3, 4 and 5 of the garage (I don't know how tall it is, just making the point)

Adventure comes in, garage is now full with cycling vehicles for Oasis and Anthem sailings so her passengers take the North half of the surface lot

Summit takes the space that's left, the South half of the surface lot.

Anthem returns, decks 1 and 2 empty but then re-fill with the new passengers

Next day Oasis comes back, her section empties, then refills.

and on, and on.

The point is - once a ship has a "section" of the parking area, that section just recycles each time that ship comes in and turns around.  If a ship leaves on a TA - those vehicles stay until their owners come get them so the only way I could see it being an issue is if an additional ship comes to the port to replace the one that went TA before those those cars are gone but I would venture that most people going on a TA will probably find some other way to the port as there will be no assurance the lots will be open to retrieve their vehicle when they want to get it.

Am I missing something?

My original thought was has the port enough for 4 ships to rotate.

I went to Google maps yesterday and I see that half of uncovered lot is empty and this is with Anthem,Summit, and Adventure all out on trips.

I have to hope a lot of folks still get dropped off or take cabs.

But since Oasis is coming, will that make more locals come back thereby clogging up the parking.

Website says parking is guaranteed so I hope RCI has vetted this out.

I found a phone number and I will call the first day I see s ship in port

If a ship leaves on a TA - those vehicles stay until their owners come get them so the only way I could see it being an issue is if an additional ship comes to the port to replace the one that went TA before those those cars are gone but I would venture that most people going on a TA will probably find some other way to the port as there will be no assurance the lots will be open to retrieve their vehicle when they want to get it.

Yes, but after the TA, Celebrity Summit will not return to New York, but reposition to Boston. In that 14 day period, Empress and Adventure will have made three rotations, and Oasis will have made two rotations.

That's not a live picture...

Oh darn.

Well next year will be interesting with FOUR (4) ships and the number of locals coming. 

I get it that ships empty but if my cruise in May has the Oasis sailing the day before my cruise, it will be interesting if any parking spots left.

That could be intetesting.

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Oh darn.

Well next year will be interesting with FOUR (4) ships and the number of locals coming. 

I get it that ships empty but if my cruise in May has the Oasis sailing the day before my cruise, it will be interesting if any parking spots left.

That could be intetesting.

I don’t think you are getting it at all, oasis passengers cannot use space occupied by the cruise on your ship prior to your cruise, so once those arrive back, spaces will empty from those and free up for you, logically, and by estimation, the cars arriving to park for your cruise should be approx the same as the cruise prior, give or take a few.

if you’re worried, arrive as early as possible, clinch an available space, and wait in the terminal until boarding.

2 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

As noted - you're not getting it.  The spots to be used by the Oasis sailing before yours are already "claimed" by the folks that are arriving back on that ship.  Those people get in their cars and leave, after which the spaces are then re-occupied by the people coming in for that sailing.  The net result should be a similar number of spaces occupied after the Oasis is turned around.

Edited by hallux

@Oceansaway17 Here is an analogy:

There are 8 slice in a pizza pie. Let's say that each ship (4 ships total) borrows two slices. That would represent the total amount of parking available for that specific ship. Your ship will borrow two slices as well, and when it returns, the you (returning passengers) will give back those two slices they borrowed a week prior, and the new passengers will borrow those same two slices (this process repeats itself).

18 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Park here,  no issues. Free shuttle and they will help you with your bags.

https://www.bayonnecruiseparking.com/

We have parked here a few times.  It's only a 1 1/2 miles from the port(ship).

Did you make reservations in advance?

Are there signs to this area upon arriving and driving towards the port. I mean the price is good. I have book marked this.

Thanks for all the replies on this thread.

I still have to wonder if the parking lot/garage area will assign areas per ship.

May 2020 will start off with Empress and Summit and the Adventure. The May 17th Oasis is the first ship that could see a shortage of spots. My cruise is May 18th.  I will be looking to see how the lots look.

I just am still surprised Port Liberty is up to 4 ships.

18 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Did you make reservations in advance?

Are there signs to this area upon arriving and driving towards the port. I mean the price is good. I have book marked this.

Thanks for all the replies on this thread.

I still have to wonder if the parking lot/garage area will assign areas per ship.

May 2020 will start off with Empress and Summit and the Adventure. The May 17th Oasis is the first ship that could see a shortage of spots. My cruise is May 18th.  I will be looking to see how the lots look.

I just am still surprised Port Liberty is up to 4 ships.

you still don't seem to get it. Oasis leaves the day before you. All the spots from passengers leaving that ship will be empty. You need something else to worry about.

8 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

you still don't seem to get it. Oasis leaves the day before you. All the spots from passengers leaving that ship will be empty. You need something else to worry about.

And you dont get that that date is the first for Oasis with 3 other ships having already sailed.

Oasis could be the first test of FOURTH ship and could then start the shortage at the port.

So my point is not just MY cruise but how about the Oasis folks on the 17th. My title is not jusy about MY ship.

Plus I have a right to voice my concerns about how the port will be AFTER the Oasis starts on 17th any for anyone on that ship as well.

So my concerns are two fold-- Oasis and Empress starting in middle of month.

Just food for thought for 2020 for all sailing.

34 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

The May 17th Oasis is the first ship that could see a shortage of spots

No it won't.  The spots to be occupied by the May 17 Oasis sailing will be freed up by the passengers disembarking from the May 10 Oasis sailing.  What part of this concept escapes you?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oceansaway17 said:

And you dont get that that date is the first for Oasis with 3 other ships having already sailed.

Except Empress and Oasis will have "claimed" the spots for their passengers first, by having sailings on dates prior to the other two ships.  Once those spaces are occupied by earlier sailings of Empress and Oasis they can't be occupied by passengers on other ships.

Here's how it'll work (based on the schedule posted above) -

On May 4, passengers for that Empress sailing will park and go on their cruise.

On May 6, passengers on that Oasis sailing will do the same

On May 9, Celebrity Summit passengers get their turn.

At this point, cars are parked in spaces and are not moving until their owners return from their trips

On May 10, Oasis returns.  Her passengers get off the ship, go find their cars and leave, opening up parking spaces.  Her next batch of passengers arrive and OCCUPY THOSE SAME SPACES!

On May 11 Same for Empress

On May 15 Adventure arrives and her embarking passengers take whatever spaces are left in the lots

May 17, Oasis returns for another turn-around day, but her embarking passengers take the same spots that were occupied by the May 10 passengers (and May 4 before them).

Can I explain it more clearly?

• Like 1

Ok then I overlooked May 10th. Then that day will be the test of how the port can handle Oasis.

Can you please have a nicer tone while you are at it.

Are you sure RCI gas vetted this port for when the very first time the 4th ship starts and at that point becomes an issue since others have not returned yet.

When is the breaking point for this port starts.

Just raising the question.

Then again the lot with shuttles for 13.99 a day could be popular too so that could help

1 minute ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Are you sure RCI gas vetted this port for when the very first time the 4th ship starts and at that point becomes an issue since others have not returned yet.

One saving grace may be that one of those ships is doing a TA, I would venture that more people on that ship will take cabs, Uber, hotel shuttles or cruise line transfers than on the other closed-loop sailings.

18 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

@Oceansaway17 Here is an analogy:

There are 8 slice in a pizza pie. Let's say that each ship (4 ships total) borrows two slices. That would represent the total amount of parking available for that specific ship. Your ship will borrow two slices as well, and when it returns, the you (returning passengers) will give back those two slices they borrowed a week prior, and the new passengers will borrow those same two slices (this process repeats itself).

But doesn't the pizza get stale over the course of the cruise?

On 9/16/2019 at 9:58 AM, jbethel11 said:

My concern is what about those 3000 people onboard the Celebrity Summit who leave for a 14-day transatlantic? Since those spots will not be freed up sequentially, will there be enough parking for those passengers on Oasis that returns that following Sunday (8/9/20)?

I would doubt there will be very many cars left at the pier for a TA cruise.   It would be too much of an inconvenience for anyone to get their cars when they return.   Both with logistics and it's expensive.  The lot is only open when ships are in port.

Edited by fred30