What time MUST you be onboard?

14 minutes ago, superduper123 said:

Is it 90 minutes before departure time? This is usually not an issue for me, so I've never paid attention.  Thanks!

I've seen both 90 minutes prior and 60 minutes prior.  I'd error on the side of being on board earlier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

The rules say 90 minutes but I have seen people board after that. I believe if the airport transfers are arranged by RCI, they have some leeway.

Isn't the rule, at least with US-departing cruises, related to US government regulations about submitting the information of those onboard? In that case, I highly doubt the US government cares how anyone booked their flights and if they may be late. I know there may be stories of a ship being able to delay departure for groups coming in on flights booked through the cruise line, but I imagine there are plenty more stories about ships not waiting, especially for only a few people.

Years ago, 1990, we were sailing out of Florida,  on one sailing most of the ships in both ports waited 2 hrs.  Fog in Atlanta kept planes on the ground.  Watched the last airport bus arrive at ship, passengers boarded through hatch all the way down below where they usually load cargo,  last passenger boarded, last rope off, and away we went. Still left about 60 people short.  Priest missed the ship, per sign outside lounge Sunday morning.  When we arrived at our first port people were on the pier saying you left without us!  A young couple at our table on their first cruise,  which they had won in a church raffle,  were surprised when they landed in Florida to find the cruise line waiting for them as they landed when the ship was to have already left.  Oh yes, in 1990 you didn't have a cell phone in your pocket to call ahead.

This was pre-9/11 so not sure if they would wait in 2019.

17 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

Isn't the rule, at least with US-departing cruises, related to US government regulations about submitting the information of those onboard? In that case, I highly doubt the US government cares how anyone booked their flights and if they may be late. I know there may be stories of a ship being able to delay departure for groups coming in on flights booked through the cruise line, but I imagine there are plenty more stories about ships not waiting, especially for only a few people.

The difference is, if the air is booked through RCI, they know that you are coming, so they can add you to the manifest.

If you arrive on your own, they are not sure you are coming, until you are there.

Last year we ended up boarding Jewel in Rome just as muster drill was starting so probably less the 60 minutes before departure. We had flights from Heathrow to Rome booked through RCCL and the flight got delayed. We rang the emergency number while we were still at Heathrow and they told us not to worry as the ship would wait. I have no idea if it would have as it turned out there were only 4 of us booked through RCCL on the flight (there were some others booked independently).

23 hours ago, superduper123 said:

Is it 90 minutes before departure time? This is usually not an issue for me, so I've never paid attention.  Thanks!

It's what time they tell you in your cruise document not what time some random on CC told you 😉 

For us 6pm sailing at 10pm .Radiance, I guess it's what time boarder forces want to get home to dinner or the game 😉