Port Botany cruise terminal

Chiliburn

28 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

still waiting on the pro's of it been built at botany … anybody got any .. 

Royal Caribbean’s profits.

Rod Sydney is getting bigger,the population is growing.The city needs more port space.

The new terminal will probably be multiple use as it’s next to the container terminal.

So in the cruise off season it could host commercial freight and maybe visiting war ships.

Port Jackson is congested.

9 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Me too. I added him to my ignore list a couple of weeks ago.

Sometimes I think it's a shame the OP can't choose to close a thread to further comments like you can on FB.

Graham and big M seem to enjoy Rod’s interaction 

1 hour ago, in rod we trust said:

that's just the answer I was looking for .. thankyou..

other than that I notices your quote in your sig ''come from a land down under'' ..  

maybe all aussie cruise travellers should read that and ask themselves is my land more important than my convenience ..    will I  support the risk of destroying  a whole bay for it..   

fishing is more essential than any cruise boat in this world  it lets communities survive and feed themselves .. 

You keep on about destroying the whole bay, the facts are not in as yet, and if it does go ahead, provisions would be made so that it will not destroy any part of it.

Fishing is only more essential than a cruise in you opinion, again no facts. 

Although the 1 fact that you have posted previously and are now contradicting is that fishing in the bay is not feeding anyone or helping anyone survive.

27 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Graham and big M seem to enjoy Rod’s interaction 

Rapidly tiring of  reading the same old unsupported arguments and stupid alternatives offered (although he is a Disney fan so that explains a lot),perhaps if we all just do not reply to any of his diatribe he might just go away.....then again it does provide some comical relief and it is fun "baiting a fisherman"........so, where is everyone going on their next cruise, what port of convenience are you leaving from?

Edited by gbenjo

.. they can streamline there timetables to be able to do it ..   oh but that's not a option its not convenient for people ..oh ok forgot its about convenience for both the passenger and cruise line... ok now we are getting somewhere  the proposed botany bay terminal its for convenience only  ..

Another glib one liner "they can streamline their timetables to do it" ignoring the other questions - and ignoring reality.

So you seriously write off the transfer of ~12000 people into the space of about 2 hours - plus all their luggage on and off the ship - plus all the refuelling and provisions loading for 1-2 weeks into that short window - and also all over the peak hour period when harbour and local logistics is highest. And it all can be done with your magic wand: "they can streamline the procedures".

Here's a clue for you though you never listen. NO transport infrastructure has that equivalent volume load over that period of time, anywhere in the world. The closest analogue are trains - mass transit - which can carry 2000 in 8 minutes so potentially that number in an hour BUT without the need for:

- Immigration/passport control and checking

- Luggage handling

- Passenger checkin

- Emergency drill procedures

- Cargo loading (provisioning)

- Refueling

And further would require a massive increase in terminal space to enable the massive increase in parallel processing you write off. Plus remove any ability for tolerances i.e. delays in case of any issue such as health or security or weather.

Honestly, your statements are plain ridiculous, all made to satisfy your ideology and personal preferences.

1 hour ago, gbenjo said:

No.....don't know enough about it yet.         Millions into the local economy..not worth mentioning...maybe they could incorporate  a centrelink office into the new  terminal so all the local protesters could duck down and collect their dole cheques.

millions  lol yeah right maybe to the pockets of royal carribean but not Sydney 

33 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Another glib one liner "they can streamline their timetables to do it" ignoring the other questions - and ignoring reality.

So you seriously write off the transfer of ~12000 people into the space of about 2 hours - plus all their luggage on and off the ship - plus all the refuelling and provisions loading for 1-2 weeks into that short window - and also all over the peak hour period when harbour and local logistics is highest. And it all can be done with your magic wand: "they can streamline the procedures".

Here's a clue for you though you never listen. NO transport infrastructure has that equivalent volume load over that period of time, anywhere in the world. The closest analogue are trains - mass transit - which can carry 2000 in 8 minutes so potentially that number in an hour BUT without the need for:

- Luggage handling

- Passenger checkin

- Refueling

And further would require a massive increase in terminal space to enable the massive increase in parallel processing you write off. Plus remove any ability for tolerances i.e. delays in case of any issue such as health or security or weather.

Honestly, your statements are plain ridiculous, all made to satisfy your ideology and personal preferences.

so what makes you think botany bay can handle all of that as well.. all that you said above just adds to the con's of why it should not be built at botany bay  so thanks for that post ...

have you even seen or checked the amount of containers leave botany bay terminal .. 

tell me why we need 6000 passenger ships in Sydney , if they cannot fit then its there bad luck other will take up there berthing slots you can bet on that ..

still looking for the pro's of botany bay .. is there any other than convenience  

here is something you can read as well 

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/forget-port-botany-for-cruise-ships-even-the-red-cross-supports-garden-island-20200116-p53ry8.html

Edited by in rod we trust

47 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

You keep on about destroying the whole bay, the facts are not in as yet, and if it does go ahead, provisions would be made so that it will not destroy any part of it.

Fishing is only more essential than a cruise in you opinion, again no facts. 

Although the 1 fact that you have posted previously and are now contradicting is that fishing in the bay is not feeding anyone or helping anyone survive.

the facts are there you just choose to ignore them as you have all this time ..

again you don't read it .. I said I don't eat fish from there as there is no fish in most bays I like to eat..  many people eat fish from botany and Sydney harbor .. its just me that doesn't eat them ..

39 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

millions  lol yeah right maybe to the pockets of royal carribean but not Sydney 

And you say we don't read or listen......For the last time, you idiot,Royal Caribbean (spelt correctly) do not own the airlines, the hotels, the transport , the restaurants, the local produce supplied to the ships or the myriad of other goods and services that would benefit from this not to mention providing employment to many. the cruise lines, yes all of them, pay hefty fees to the Port Authority/ Govt for the use of the terminals, more money that goes back into the local economy.

Edited by gbenjo

4 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

the facts are there you just choose to ignore them as you have all this time ..

again you don't read it .. I said I don't eat fish from there as there is no fish in most bays I like to eat..  many people eat fish from botany and Sydney harbor .. its just me that doesn't eat them ..

Who cares what you like to eat.

9 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

so what makes you think botany bay can handle all of that as well..   have you even seen or checked the amount of containers leave botany bay terminal .. and tell me why we need 6000 passenger ships in Sydney , if they cannot fit then its there bas luck other will take up there berthing slots you can bet on that ..

still looking for the pro's of botany bay .. is there any other than convenience  

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/forget-port-botany-for-cruise-ships-even-the-red-cross-supports-garden-island-20200116-p53ry8.html

Well, if OPT can handle it, why couldn't Botany Bay??

And thanks for proving the point; the fact it can handle those containers shows it's more than adequate. Many cargo ports around the world are also used for cruise ships, particularly when the smaller inner harbour ports cannot handle the size the outer cargo ports can.

So yes you've made a very good point in favour of Botany Bay! Well done Rod.

Oh, yes, read the clearly labelled "opinion" piece. Sadly lacking on logic though.

1 hour ago, gbenjo said:

........so, where is everyone going on their next cruise, what port of convenience are you leaving from?

Sorry to say that, for my convenience, my next 3 cruises all depart from OPT Sydney. The first on Voyager 30th March - I hope to catch up with you then

2 hours ago, gbenjo said:

...maybe they could incorporate  a centrelink office into the new  terminal so all the local protesters could duck down and collect their dole cheques.

You've been gainfully employed for far too long mate 🙂  The welfare payments are put into their bank accounts, couldn't inconvenience them by making them go to the Centrelink office to collect 

28 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Sorry to say that, for my convenience, my next 3 cruises all depart from OPT Sydney. The first on Voyager 30th March - I hope to catch up with you then

3 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I can see you ,graham and rod in your twilight years snarling at one and other about port botany.

Sadly??? I won't be the there on the 30th March  ..off to PNG on the Sun PRincess on the 23rd leaving from that bloody inconvenient White Bay terminal. 😡 What about the other two?

24 minutes ago, mr walker said:

You've been gainfully employed for far too long mate 🙂  The welfare payments are put into their bank accounts, couldn't inconvenience them by making them go to the Centrelink office to collect 

😁👍

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

- Luggage handling

- Passenger checkin

- Refueling

And dumping people in a place where there is an International Airport that has a curfew, very few trains running at late hours. Where else in the world is there an international airport with a curfew. Ok, lift the curfew. Imagine the protest from the nimbys who went to live near an airport which was there first.

1 hour ago, gbenjo said:

Rapidly tiring of  reading the same old unsupported arguments and stupid alternatives offered (although he is a Disney fan so that explains a lot),perhaps if we all just do not reply to any of his diatribe he might just go away.....then again it does provide some comical relief and it is fun "baiting a fisherman"........so, where is everyone going on their next cruise, what port of convenience are you leaving from?

Boarding in Sydney for the next two, both OPT.

so what makes you think botany bay can handle all of that as well.. all that you said above just adds to the con's of why it should not be built at botany bay  so thanks for that post ...

have you even seen or checked the amount of containers leave botany bay terminal .. 

tell me why we need 6000 passenger ships in Sydney , if they cannot fit then its there bad luck other will take up there berthing slots you can bet on that ..

I doubt we will ever fit 6000 passenger ships in Sydney, probably not even 600. as for berthing them, only about 5 at a time at the moment

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I doubt we will ever fit 6000 passenger ships in Sydney, probably not even 600. as for berthing them, only about 5 at a time at the moment

I thought he meant 6000 pax ships.